Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What is the current Android phone of choice?
  • franksinatra

I need to buy a new phone to replace my goosed Sony Xperia compact. I like the Sony but this is my third one to retire with a cracked screen to time to try something new.

Simple requirements, I want a good camera, expandable memory, not too big, affordable to buy (not contract), not delicate. Open minded about buying refurbished if that means there is a bargain.

Certainly not fussed about buying latest or bestest.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

bookmarking, interested in comments on this.

jimjam
    Free Member

I recently wrestled with this exact problem after stepping on my Z1 compact. For me the main issue was finding something compact but decent, with expandable memory for pics and music.

I almost got a new Z5 compact from Hong Kong (via ebay) but in the end I wanted something in my hand so I went for a Samsung A3 2017.

The camera is slightly sharper and more user friendly despite being down on megapixels. The OS is familiar and the layout is more tuneable. Whether this is down to a newer version of android or Samsung I don’t know. The phone boots up fast, loads websites and videos quickly and it seems easily capable of manipulating big (20meg+) image files from my proper camera.

I like it. I was initially put off it by stories about it cracking but I’ve bought a toughened glass screen protector and a rubber boot type thing which seems to work well, touch wood.

Moses

There was a similar thread about a week ago. Have a search.

Del

moto g5. another victim of sony here. 🙄
    pleased so far. dropped it once from waist height on to a path and the rear is a bit ‘creaky’ at the lower edge as a result but probably a new cover would fix that. marginally bigger than the z3c but it doesn’t live in a cocoon so…
    oh, it’s stock android so you’ll get updates in a timely fashion, and it all works like it should. i also installed sony’s music player, which was about the only thing i liked about the damn thing.
    180 quid from amazon with 3Gb of ram and dual sim capability.

jimjam
    Free Member

Good shout on Sony’s player. I’ve stuggled to find anything better, and I really liked the fact that it could shuttle through tracks using the car’s audio controls.

monde
    Free Member

Took a punt on the Huawei P9 after reading great reviews and with the recent android update I honestly cant see the reason of buying a more expensive phone. The leica camera is also superb on it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member
    rone

Moto G5 here.

After owning a G4 which I preferred but is quite a bit bigger.

Gunz
    Free Member

I just got a ZTE Blade which is pretty good.

Caher

Still on the G3 but heard that the G5 is not as good as the G4 plus (funky camera).

mattyfez

Oh yeah, the Huawei and its Leica camera.

P9 owner here, my observations and experiences are that it’s lecia licensed for saleability rather then a ground breaking mobile camera.

However it does hold its own against its htc and Samsung contemporaries. It’s a cracking camera and the overall device is excellent, and it costs significantly less than the equivalent flagship models from the established premium brands.

It’s a far better package than the HTC m10 or the Samsung if you’re even vaguely interested in cost vs performance.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Huawei mate 9 here. 4000 mah battery that lasts aaaaaalll day. And an amazing camera and 5.9 inch screen ! Love!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

noted for later

Neb

I went from a Sony z1 compact to a xiaomi Redmi 3s prime, about a 1/4 the retail price of a z3 compact, but much better in every way apart from maybe the camera (which good rather than excellent).

No problems with it being a Chinese phone as everything was in English, Google was installed etc… if I lost it, I’d buy another Xiaomi to replace it.

andytherocketeer

Was going to say OnePlus 3T
    But that probably doesn’t meet the criteria of expandable memory, budget, or size. Mine is a fraction larger than I’d like, but it is as close to vanilla android as you’ll get, and charges from nearly empty to nearly full in no time.

franksinatra

The P9 looks a front runner so far, thanks

PJ266
    Free Member

Im going to pop into my local Three shop to have a look at a Lenovo P2 soon, on paper it looks very good indeed.

leffeboy

Moto G5 user here. Not too big and works well

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Another thumbs up for the Huawei – I have the P9 Lite which is cheaper than the full blown P9 – lacks a few features but none that I needed.

Great screen, nice and quick and battery life superb. I’ve dropped it twice onto pavements, etc and pretty much unscathed still.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I like the G5, but was slightly disappointed that it didn’t have a compass.

In real life that turned out to be less of an issue than I feared (viewranger, etc work ok on heading rather than bearing).

Thanks for the tip on the sony player – off to find that now.

schmiken

OnePlus 3T is mega. I’ve got one and it’s great!

shermer75
    Free Member

How affordable is affordable? I bought a Samsung S7 for £320 second hand, great phone.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Lenovo P2, good all-rounder for £200, insane 5100mAh battery that lasts days.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Went to CPW to get a G5 plus, came out with a Huawei P10 lite. Better in every way.

cp

I’ve had my oneplus 3 for nearly a year now. It’s brilliant. Given the 3t is pretty much the same with a few tweaks, I’d highly recommend going for that. But then it’s all relative and it’s a 400 quid phone. Much cheaper than the Samsung’s and the like, and imo a nicer phone.

With big storage I have absolutely no need for expandable storage which I generally always used to insist on. The nice thing about just internal memory is that it’s super speedy memory, and means everything works very well and quickly with no lag.

Build quality is excellent, and even after a year it genuinely feels as good as new – the buttons are still very tactile, there are no creaks etc…

Best phone I’ve ever had.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve had my oneplus 3 for nearly a year now. It’s brilliant.

Only had mine a few weeks, but agree.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Wife has just got a P9, honestly can’t fault it!

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

slight hijack: – anyone got a Moto Z Play?
    Looks a similar spec to the G5 but a bit more expensive, maybe a more polished finish? I really like the idea of the swappable backs (moto mod), I can see an additional battery pack being bought…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What is the current Android phone of choice?’ is closed to new replies.