Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What is the carbon footprint of Professor Brian Cox??
  • allthegear
    Free Member

He does get around a bit, doesn’t he??

Rachel

allthepies
    Free Member

<stares wistfully to the skies>

stuey
    Free Member

Carl Sagan would of done it(did it) with back projection.

nickjb
    Free Member

Its a great job. A few of the things he does and places he goes seem just for the hell of it. I’m Jealous.

kimbers

its all stardust anyway

5thElefant
    Free Member

About 10 stone? He needs to eat more pies.

headfirst
    Free Member

Remember ‘Dancing in the moonlight’ by Toploader? How at first you thought it was great but then quickly it started to grate? Need I continue?

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

I actually always thought that particular ditty, and indeed group, were total she-ite, to quote the parlance of the age.

brakes
    Free Member

he has the carbon footprint of a billion billion billion billion million thousand and three protons from the supernova of betelgeuse since the dawn of time

allthegear
    Free Member

😆 @ brakes

kimbers

i always hated that toploader song

headfirst
    Free Member

Ok, toploader not best example…how about Jamie Oliver instead?

SaxonRider

The original is by King Harvest, and it’s a bit alright.

It’s also finally available on Spotify.

nickhart
    Free Member

Too big. I heard Jamie olivers trip to the USA a couple of years back was carbon neutral!

mtbfix

Can’t decide whether to buy the SO this

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

He’s awesome. I’ve just been transfixed for an hour & I haven’t a clue what he was on about. Well I have really but I’ve got a bad head now.

veedubba

“Would have” not “would of”.

That is all.

hh45
    Free Member

he has the carbon footprint of a billion billion billion billion million thousand and three protons from the supernova of betelgeuse since the dawn of time

I was thinking exactly this as i watched it. Also wondering if they had to double back ever when in part five or whatever they remembered they wanted him blowing bubbles with a big desert behind him or whatever. Brilliant programme though. Great that not everything on telly is dumbed down guff.

maccruiskeen

I liked the description of his presenting style sounding like a “stoned northerner enthusing about his favourite cake shop”.

Hoowwever, if you’re criticising someones carbon footprint – the internet possibly isn’t the best place to do it 🙂

CountZero

Probably not much different to an average David Attenborough series. Who gives a toss anyway?

T666DOM

I couldn’t give a damn what his carbon footprint is, only programme thats worth paying the licence fee, puts talk of puny carbon footprints into perspective when you see the big picture, I imagine climate change will crank up a notch when the sun goes nova mmmm toasty!

sadmadalan

Brilliant program. If this is dumbing down, I hate to see the original! My 17 year old son sat and watch transfixed – not bad for a program which was basically a chemistry/physics lesson (with some BIG pictures).

Loved the bit that said we were all stardust!

mikey74
    Free Member

All the elements that make up us, and everything around us, were born inside the core of a dying star…. WOW 😯

As someone else above said: His CF is probably no worse than David Attenborough’s, or any other widely travelled presenter.

I did think some of his locations were a bit gratuitous, but I suppose they all help to demonstrate the “WONDER-OF-THE-UNIVERSE-SE-SE-SE-SE-SE”

FuzzyWuzzy

Probably a lot less than the muppets on the Gadget Show who seem to travel thousands of miles to do a crap review of a new camera etc.

llama

He’s on top of a mountain because he just LANDED THERE FROM SPACE

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I guess it depends on what proportion of the Carbon footprint of launching all those orbital telescopes etc. you attribute to Prof Cox. I was glad they used a song other than “Starman” or “We are Stardust” Nice graphics, glosses over quite a lot of the science.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

+1 I kept waiting for the more in depth explanation but he never seemed to get there. Still, beats x factory on ice.

stevious

He’s on top of a mountain because he just LANDED THERE FROM SPACE

Fact

samuri
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say it was dumbed down, aimed at the masses maybe but just because there wasn’t any real technical detail in there doesn’t mean it’s been smoothed over. I liked it, it certainly paves the way for anyone who fancies looking into such things themselves.

Excellent TV.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Do you think on this series the cameraman said “I’ve got this great idea, lets take all the shots with the blinding sun just behind your head…..”

5thElefant
    Free Member

I liked the bit about fossils in rocks and how the they started off as rocks… spooky.

We need to stop messing about and worrying about stuff and build some nuclear powered rocket ships. No point waiting for the sun to explode (and using all the fuel for our rocket ships on crap like powering computers).

portlyone

…waiting for the more in depth explanation…

What percetange of the audience would understand it and therefore get anything from it? I think it’s enough to inspire the viewers to go look it up.

DezB
    Free Member

So, am I right in thinking Adam and Eve were made out of the carbon from an exploding star?

Duke
    Free Member

Entropy is a b*tch.

Although I have one serious question. If the ultimate end of the universe is effectively just everything turning to vapour isn’t that ultimate order and not chaos?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

What i’ve always wondered, and i’ve yet to find a comprehensive explanation, is why the moon is almost exactly the right size to obscure the sun and cause a solar eclipse?

No other planets have a moon of the correct size, and even with our own moon according to wikipedia in 600 million years time there won’t be any more solar eclipses as its getting further away.

We exist at exactly the right place and at the right time to observe a solar eclipse.

Coincidence?

I know the moon has played a very important part in earths formation, causing the tides, possibly effect on plate tectonics, the earths rotation, causing and stabilizing its tilt, maybe causing heavy metals and rare elements to be available in the earths crust.

Is it all related?

samuri
    Free Member

We exist at exactly the right place and at the right time to observe a solar eclipse.

Coincidence?

If you want to go down that path then you might also want to look at distance from the sun, amount of water on the earth, sufficient quantities of the right elements to initiate life, etc, etc.
    It’s all highly improbable. If only someone could come up with an explanation about why all this stuff is all just so convenient….. Maybe put it in a big book.

Duke
    Free Member

kimbers

well he probably caused quite a lot of damage to the ozone layer with hairspray back in the 80s too
    hes on the right in the band Dare

MrNutt
    Free Member

he’s a confirmed Christian you know?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

So? I’m a ‘confirmed Christian’ who is actually an atheist.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What is the carbon footprint of Professor Brian Cox??’ is closed to new replies.