Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What is the biggest tyre in real life from this lot….
  • motorman
    Free Member

2.5 Hookworm
    2.4 Holy roller
    2.4 Advantage
    2.35 Fat frank

Looking for tyre with most volume, has anyone seen any of these side by side?

Northwind

I measured an Advantage 2.4 (folding evo version) on a DT540 rim (sensibly wide) across the widest point and got 2.34 inches, which was a wee bit surprising because all I’d heard about them was that they were HYOWJE.

Haven’t done the others though, sorry.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I ride the hookworm and its HUGE seriously massively huge (there’s a pic in the I can’t believe the difference a maxle makes post)

they are so large volume I was using them as suspension on my rigid play bike for ages.

motorman
    Free Member

Anyone else?

RealMan
    Free Member

Have you considered 2.4 rubber queens? They’re massive.

rocketman
    Free Member

Big Betty/Muddy Mary 2.4s also seriously massive

if you’re looking for a tyre that is all carcass with a shallow tread 2.4 Ardents are top banana

Flashy
    Free Member

The hookworms on my commuter measure just a tad over 2 1/4″ at the widest point……..

Northwind

Oh yah, I measured a 2.4 Rubber Queen, on a Flow most likely but possibly on a Traversee, and again after all the “They’re huge!” comments was a wee bit surprised that it was almost exactly 2.4 inches across. Very tall, though, and therefore high volume but IMO people only thought they were wide because they were so used to Conti 2.4s being the width of a gnat’s pube.

RealMan
    Free Member

Oh yah, I measured a 2.4 Rubber Queen, on a Flow most likely but possibly on a Traversee, and again after all the “They’re huge!” comments was a wee bit surprised that it was almost exactly 2.4 inches across. Very tall, though, and therefore high volume but IMO people only thought they were wide because they were so used to Conti 2.4s being the width of a gnat’s pube.

+1

2.2 RQs come up at nearly exactly 2.2 IIRC, just all other company’s tyres seem to come up small.

Northwind

See, what sent me off on my tyre-measuring nerd phase was a MBUK review, in which the learned Doddy proclaimed:

“I’ve been running the huge Eskar 2.3s, which… look more like 2.5s.”

So I thought, hmm, I’ve got a set of Eskars, they’re not that big. Measured them and they were just a hair under 2.3! I think everyone knows some tyres are undersized and oversized but to say an accurate one is oversized because it’s bigger than the undersized ones boiled my piss slightly.

An Eskar really does look like an old Maxxis 2.5, say a Highroller, because Maxxis tyres used to all be gigantic fibs. Which I thought was weird because the Highroller 2.6 I had measured 2.5, and the Minion 2.5 I had measured 2.35, and the Minion 2.35 I had measured about 2.15. I never did get to measure a Highroller 2.1 to see if it’s also one size small.

Such things turn normal people into caliper-wielding tyre nerds.

ampthill

The weird thing about those old Maxxis incorrect sizes was that they had the correct size in mm s moulded into the carcass…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What is the biggest tyre in real life from this lot….’ is closed to new replies.