Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What is the best wheels I can get for around £120
  • spr000
    Free Member

My wheels on my bike got stolen a couple of months back, and I’m looking to replace them now. They were the standard WTD Speeddiscs that come with GT Avalanche expert 08 model.

Brand new my LBS was talking about Zac-19s on Deore.

I’ve seen Alex Ace 17s with LX hubs, and WTB discs on XT both on sale at Merlin. Are they any good

The bike will mainly be on road but needs to be able to MTB when I what to, say at Coed y Brenin. Also rims would need to be able to take a 2.1s

Ideally would like some XM317 or XC717s, might stretch to 317s (is it worth it?), but 717s are too steep.

Is there anything else I should be looking at.

Thanks for your help.

joolsburger
    Free Member

A friend of mine just bought some Crossrides for £140. I think for the cash you’ll be pushed to do better. Both Merlin and CRC do them for that.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I have a pair of Mavic XC717s on Superleggera cartridge bearing hubs for sale. Excellent condition, £110 inc postage?

Mavic Xc717 wheels

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spr000
    Free Member

mtbtomo – How good is the hub on those? I’ve heard they aren’t great.

joolsburger – I shall look at the crossrides

Conan257
    Free Member

I’ve just bought the XT/WTB wheels… I didn’t want a fancy spoke pattern that could end up leaving me with more problems…

Classic wheels, well built for a very good price of 118 delivered.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Crossrides all day long, they held up being bounced around lee quarry when I was just short of 21st!!

Del

i would have mavics for preference ( i use 719s cos i run 2.35 tyres ), but have the wtb laserdiscs on pro 11s on my orange 5, and haven’t had any trouble with them. mate runs a pair too and gives his a beating. the wtbs with xt should be a good combination.
    otherwise look at what on-one have. their rims aren’t terribly light, but have proven to be long lasting on my bikes, and the hubs are easily serviced.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The rear hub has been fine for me, but they’ve been on a bike that isn’t ‘first choice’, so its not had a lot of use. The bearings etc are still smooth with no slop.

I know there are some reports of ropey freehubs, but I think MBUK had a long term set that was fine? Its always the failures you hear about rather than people going “hurrah, my wheel has lasted another month!”? (Though a friend of mine has just had hers replaced FOC after a failure)

Equally, I had some Mavic 317’s on Deore hubs and water got in the free hub and wrecked it in less that 6 months. And two mates of mine had the Crossrides and the road equivalent (Kysrium or whatever its called?)- one of the spoke slots on the fancy machined hubs on each set sheared off. (rear on the road set, front on the mtb).

Sometimes feel I need to get out more 😉

althepal

I had crossrides for about 2 years, not out as much as I used to be but stayed true, nothing broke or snapped and I’m on the clumsier side of skilled riding-wise.
    For the money I think they’re pretty good.
    You could look at second hand on here.. Think there was a set of crossrides going.

spr000
    Free Member

Ok, just done some reading about crossrides and see what Conan means about fancy spokes.

Leaning towards the WTBs on XT.

Could get 317s on Deore for about the same price though, but guessing the XT hub is alot better, and the mavic rims are not much better?

Mtbtomo – what you say makes sense, but bad reviews make you wary and it would be on my only bike.

Conan257
    Free Member

The wheels are lighter that my SS Deore/Alex F519D’s… This wasn’t massively important but i’m happy…

Thing to watch out for, and I fell foul of even after research, is that they are not compatible with 6 bolt floating rotors. Centrelock rotors or non-floating 6-bolts fit fine afaik….

Havn’t had a chance to ride them yet, bruised a rib a couple of weeks ago and its taken me off the bike!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

2nd hand Mavic 717 rims on Hope XC hubs should be about £120.

Del

i understand that xt hubs have much better sealing than deore.

Tallpaul

Fulcrum Red Metal Fives?

I’ve got an unridden pair for £100+postage. Email in profile if you want more info.

crofts2007
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    2nd hand Mavic 717 rims on Hope XC hubs should be about £120.

plus 1 on the hopes.
    Longer term reliability.
    Less rolling resistance.
    Serviceable.

hillsplease

plus 2 on the Hopes.

Replacing bearings involves a dead blow hammer. Proper ‘man engineeering.’ What’s not to like?

spr000
    Free Member

717s on Hope XCs sound good. How does the XC compare to XT? Have been looking at classifieds to see if I could see a cheap pair.

Conan – didn’t know that and I was also looking for that, I take it is uses an adapter to change from centre lock to 6 bolt?

Tallpaul – I shall have a look and get back to you

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

717s on Hope XCs sound good. How does the XC compare to XT? Have been looking at classifieds to see if I could see a cheap pair.

They are lighter I think. They are also very reliable and fully serviceable (unlike XT’s).

I had a set of fulcrum road wheels and the freehub was shit.

forgotmename
    Free Member

I have a set of bonty rhythm elite tubeless ready wheels,with tubes and brand new jones tyres on. only done 100 miles max, vgc. £120 posted.

sv

Great bead seats on those WTB Trail rims, XT good if you keep them serviced (cheapish ball bearings and some grease).

simon67
    Free Member

[/quote]I have a set of bonty rhythm elite tubeless ready wheels,with tubes and brand new jones tyres on. only done 100 miles max, vgc. £120 posted.

Hi

Are they qr front and rear?

Cheers

Simon

rexated
    Free Member

seeing as some of us are turning this thread into a spam-fest i’ll join in:

brand new and unridden wheels off a 2010 scott scale 35; light, tight, and yours for £100 posted. specs:
    Rims:DT Swiss 445d 32Hole / Black
    Front Hub:Scott Disc Pro Disc IT
    Rear Hub:DT Swiss 370 Disc IT
    Spokes:DT Swiss Champion Black 1.8mm

stephenroundhillAThotmail DOT coDOT uk if you’d like some photo’s.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Hello Simon, yes they are qr’s front n rear.

simon67
    Free Member

Hello Simon, yes they are qr’s front n rear.

Great, I’ll take them please.

Just off out now but back 10 ish if you want to send payment details etc to

s dot houldsworth at talktalk dot net

Cheers

Simon

spr000
    Free Member

Lol, maybe a should set up a wanted thread for the “spam”

spr000
    Free Member
    spr000
    Free Member

Thanks David

organic355
    Free Member

60 packets of these

No, Nom Nom

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

another vote for mavic on hope. 717 on Hope XC weigh approx 1800grms and are a really nice set of kit, if you dont need different axle diameters the XC hubs are better (bigger bearing) than the more expensive Pro 2 hubs.

Theres a pair of 317/XC in classifieds for £120 generating interest, which are priced a bit higher than average, as Hope XC wheels tend to go for £100. Ive got some 717/XC which Mr MC nearly sold till I claimed em 😀 , now 5 years old and only needed one bearing cleaning and re-greasing.

Clobber
    Free Member

@TallPaul, I couldn’t resist the on-one sale either…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘What is the best wheels I can get for around £120’ is closed to new replies.