Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What is the best way to sell a bike quickly?
  • mattamomo
    Free Member

Having no luck at the moment, I live in the UK.

Jamie
    Free Member

Offer it for well below the market value.

The classified on STW are crawling with buyers/traders who will take it off your hands if it’s for sale at less than market value.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’ve had no problems selling bikes on ebay. Set it as an auction, no reserve, and you *will* get a decent market price for your bike. Unless you live somewhere remote and specify collect only…

Otherwise, Pinkbike, and classifieds on here and on Bikeradar.

If you’re already doing the above and getting no takers, you’ve probably overpriced it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mattamomo
    Free Member

Im trying to sell one and im not even putting a price, im not expecting massive amounts so i thought i would get a few offers, but nothing. That is on STW, its literally new out of the box as well, rode it once.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Show us the ad dude

mattamomo
    Free Member

I haven’t tried bikeradar, i will try there next

psling
    Free Member

More information would help; your ad is a bit ‘might be selling’.

Size (given) and price are important starting points IMO, and (link to) images would help.

gogg
    Free Member

That’s your problem it’s a specialized. Bottom has fallen out of the market on them since the ”cafe Roubaix” debacle.

I’ll give you £75 delivered….

😉

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Your ad doesn’t sound like an ad. You say “I’m thinking of selling” and then don’t specify a price or link to a photo.

Look at completed listings on ebay. Your exact bike (2013 model) goes for between £400 and £450. Yours is a common size – there are lots of options for budget road bikes in that size so you have a lot of competition. a 61cm bike went for £500 but yours probably won’t.

If you want to sell quickly, stick it on Ebay, be very honest about condition, list it as an auction with 1p start, and it WILL sell, for between £400 and £500.

mattamomo
    Free Member

The thing is i don’t know what a price would be, obviously i don’t want to give it away but i want a quick sale, what would be a good start point or figure to expect?
    I am working on getting images, but my good DSLR battery is dead and i need to format the card again so i will have to wait a bit to do that.

khani
    Free Member

Not enough detail or photos, even when it’s ‘new’ a pic is worth the trouble, and I cba with adds that have ‘might be selling’ or ‘testing the water’ type stuff in em as it generally turns into a pita..
    You’re selling or you’re not, all that type of guff is too much of a faff..
    The best way to sell quickly is to sell it a bit cheaper than market value..

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Take a picture with a phone dude. See my post above re price. Look on ebay completed listings. A “mint” one went for £380, another one went for £420, another for £480. Those listed as a £500 buy-it-now did not sell.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like you want to sell quickly to me! Decent pics from a camera phone will be good enough, then stick it on ebay like a few others have said from 99p.

It will sell within a week. Also try and make sure the auction finishes at a time when people will be around to bid on it. Most of the bidding activity happens at the end, so an auction finishing on Friday, Saturday or Sunday evening should do well.

psling
    Free Member

Well, a very rough rule of thumb for a production bike suggests that you lose 50% of retail value once it becomes ‘preowned’. Since yours is unused and based on the research hebdencyclist has done for you I would suggest £450 if you want to sell. If you want/need more then you may need to hold out beyond a “quick sale”.

loddrik
    Free Member

Offer it for well below the market value.
    The classified on STW are crawling with buyers/traders who will take it off your hands if it’s for sale at less than market value.

Sage advice indeed, price it well and it’ll sell.

mattamomo
    Free Member

Just about to finish uploading some pics

mattamomo
    Free Member

the ‘thinking of seeling’ is my mistake, i put that up a month or so ago and forgot to change it

Jamie
    Free Member

Just list the advert like:

Intro – Make/Model/Year

Info 1 – Price/Location. Delivery or collection. Contact details.

Info 2 – Condition of bikes/parts. Any major issues?

Spec – Link to manufactures website is fine if as stock.

Pics.

mattamomo
    Free Member

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

They’re lovely mate,but put them in your ad, not on here!

mattamomo
    Free Member

heb- yh but can i say its almost new quality? i mean i have rode it once but i really don’t know what can be called nearly new or not when it comes to bikes

bruneep

Well, a very rough rule of thumb for a production bike suggests that you lose 50% of retail value once it becomes ‘preowned’. Since yours is unused and based on the research hebdencyclist has done for you I would suggest £450 if you want to sell. If you want/need more then you may need to hold out beyond a “quick sale”.

This^

You want a quick sale yet not priced it accordingly for a quick sale. Collection only would rule out many buyers. Posting a bike isn’t hard.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Collection only from Devon? £100 more than what similar bikes go for?

Good luck mate.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep, you’re asking too much for it. It’s a 2013 bike which was £900 new. A quick google finds them still for sale for £750.
    The general rule is 50-60% of RRP after one year (Which yours is, no matter how much it’s been ridden, sorry…) because of bikes in sales like that.
    £500 tops for yours.
    It’s not selling because you want too much for it, and also because 52cm is a small size. 54/56/58 are the most popular sizes, and you gotta offer delivery. It’s not hard to do.
    Sorry. 🙂

mattamomo
    Free Member

I haven’t put collection only

mattamomo
    Free Member

ok, dont think its worth selling for 400-450, will just keep it for the odd ride around.
    Thanks anyway

cinnamon_girl

Nobody wants to give anything away but the reality is that you have to take a hit when selling used goods as I’ve found out.

You’ve been given good advice above, it’s worth listening to. Do you want the money in your pocket or not? 🙂

mattamomo
    Free Member

Cinnamon girl- Yh i do understand that, but i paid 900 and 450 loss is just too much for me to feel comfortable.
    I needed the money to upgrade my desktop because its CPU and GPU are aging, but £450 will be little help for that.
    Im sure i can find uses for it, especially as i am driving now, I know i would just hate myself for selling it at 450.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I know this has been done to death on another thread but road cycling can be great, exciting and an adventure if your bike is set up right (saddle height?) and you find the right places to ride.

You only went out for one ride before you decided to sell. And if that saddle height is right for you then the bike is too big anyway. Maybe take some time to get your position right and give it another chance?

mattamomo
    Free Member

Hebden- One of the reasons i was selling was the size, i knew i should have got the smaller model but i was very much on the borderline where that would have been pushing it as well, my mind was made up by a salesman from evanscycles who i realize now didn’t really know what he was talking about and said the 52 would be better.
    The seatpost in the picture is normally 1 or 2 inches up from where it is there.

Its not bad to ride, still a really nice ride but im just not in a great area for it. but i think i will make the effort to get out on it every so often.

cinnamon_girl

Why did you not get on with the bike? As hebdencyclist quite rightly says, get the fit sorted or even get a bike fit done in a bike shop.

I’ve sold items on here such as a 9 month old Cotic Soul frame, Fox forks etc and felt that I was giving them away! But that’s how it is I’m afraid, accept it and move on.

Edit: OK, that’s bad of the bike shop and they don’t deserve customers. Just sell it and look for a second-hand one in the Classifieds here.

gogg
    Free Member

My offer of £75 stands, but as I can’t collect, I’ll go to £100 delivered.

X

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

So if the bike is too big for you, and you’re not going to ride it, why have you now decided to keep it?

edit – sorry I didn’t read your post properly. You said you’re going to go out on it. If it’s too big and you’re feeling stretched out, a shorter stem will help.

mattamomo
    Free Member

because its still a nice ride, and i do need a bike, for 450 there’s just no posotive for me to take out of it really, I am planning a trip to france to go skiing for my duke of edinburgh so i may aswell keep it just to find use for it in trips such as that. They only reason i am selling as i said is ideally i would upgrade my Desktop which I do everything on but i can’t do that with 450.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Good luck on the bike dude. I have a feeling you’ll grow to love it 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What is the best way to sell a bike quickly?’ is closed to new replies.