Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What is the best way to protect carbon frame parts?
  • Recycler
    Free Member

Looking to protect my Yeti ASR5A rear triangle from chain slap and other impacts. Any recommendations from STW gratefully recieved thanks.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Get a big mantlepiece and stick it on there. 😀

OR if you insist on riding it, you can use the old inner tube method, It will cost you next to nowt (price of a zip tie) and is as good or better that any other off the shelf protection.

I’ve done it on my bikes.

Recycler
    Free Member

Cheers eyerideit – I was probably thinking too hard along the lines of fancy tapes etc. didn’t think of the simple solution.

Anyone else?

Highland28
    Free Member

I use amalgamating tape on the rear triangle of my ibis mojo. Not quite as cheap as the inner tube option but with a little insulation tape at each end, means no dirt can get in a rub it, like the inner tube method IMO. Amalgamating tape also is great because it sticks to itself rather than leaving gooey marks allover your frame to trying and get off.

druidh
    Free Member

Inner tube for chain slap. Wrap it round tightly and it’ll keep all the crap out. A zip-tie or two will hold it on.

An early effort…

Untitled by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

I start at the other end now and the zip-ties are behind the chainrings

I heli tape my seatstays as my Chaplin-esque stance causes really bad heel rub.

abductee
    Free Member

I taped a piece of inner tube to the chainstay with insulation tape and a small piece of sheet steel bent to shape in the chain suck area (tape underneath and on top).

busydog
    Free Member

I wrapped the chainstay on my Ibis Mojo with black road-bike handlebar tape and it’s stayed on for 3 years–it’s the bar tape with a softer, fabric feel.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What is the best way to protect carbon frame parts?’ is closed to new replies.