Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What is the best online wheel building site?
  • applesandoranges
    Free Member

Hi there, I want to buy a set of wheels for the mtb online because I don’t trust any of my Lbs”s that are close to me because they have all tried to rip me off and now I do my bikes myself.

Anyways I really don’t feel comfortable building my own especially considering how much they can cost.

I now get most of my stuff from. CRC and trust them however they don’t offer a buy and build service on the wheels I want and have very limited options.

I also don’t want to be traveling to get to a decent shop as I currently don’t have a car.

Any one have any recommendations?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Depends on the wheelset. What’s your planned build?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Cannondaleking on here and retrobike used to build wheels. Quick search shows he hasn’t been around for a while, but has a website – http://www.handcraftedwheels.co.uk/
    Maybe check if he’s still building them.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve always found Merlin very good – they do pre-built wheelsets like Hope Hoops or custom builds themselves (I’ve had some Mavic rims on Hope hubs from them a couple of times and they’ve been excellent).

Service is very good also.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Depends on the wheelset. What’s your planned build?

I’ve decided after a lot of consideration to go for Stan’s no tube flows mk3 with hope pro 4 with red spoke caps (if possible) highest number of spokes as I want them s strong s they can be.

al2000

I’ve used Merlin a few times and always been happy with the wheels and service.

I can’t find custom wheelbuild options on their website any more though, have they stopped doing them?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

handcraftedwheels with labour at £10 per wheel – isn’t that a bit low or are they that fast to build ?

applesandoranges
    Free Member

I handcraftedwheels with labour at £10 per wheel – isn’t that a bit low or are they that fast to build ?

I was thinking the same also I don’t think they use PayPal and website is pretty simplistic.

Unless he does it for extra cash of course.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve decided after a lot of consideration to go for Stan’s no tube flows mk3 with hope pro 4 with red spoke caps (if possible) highest number of spokes as I want them s strong s they can be.

Do not use alloy nipples then, not unless you want to be endlessly replacing them.

handcraftedwheels with labour at £10 per wheel – isn’t that a bit low or are they that fast to build ?

Presumably that includes buying the parts from him (i.e. he gets a markup on the hubs, spokes, rims etc). They don’t take long to build though once you’re into the hang of it.

[edit] says £25, which seems about average?

ton

JRA are fantastic. will build what you want. and they are ready when promised.

Splash-man
    Free Member

I know the main builder here does a great job

Strada

hatter

Depending on what you’re after, the guys at Moonglu build damn good wheels and have an online wheel builder.

dovebiker

I build my own wheels and unless you live in the desert, don’t ride in the rain or enjoy having your wheels rebuilt regularly forget alloy nipples and going for super-skinny spokes like DT Revolutions.

batman11
    Free Member

Yeah I’ll put a second in for strada wheels top job with near on the same build! Bomb proof wheel set.

Hand Built Wheels

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’ve used both JRA and moonglu recently for hand buit wheels with hope hubs and DT rims. Both have been excellent and would use again.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

Mike is good based in Derbyshire near Nottingham

About me

highpeakrider
    Free Member
    applesandoranges
    Free Member

Depending on what you’re after, the guys at Moonglu build damn good wheels and have an online wheel builder.

Thanks decent price and lots of people thumbed this up. No Stan flows however the ex’s were on my secondary notes so if I can’t find a goodish deal on the mk3s I’ll get them of here.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

I build my own wheels and unless you live in the desert, don’t ride in the rain or enjoy having your wheels rebuilt regularly forget alloy nipples and going for super-skinny spokes like DT Revolutions

Interesting, what’s the alternative to alloy? Oh can you tell me what the rain will do?. What’s the best Spokes for strength, durability thanks.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Yeah I’ll put a second in for strada wheels top job with near on the same build! Bomb proof wheel set.
    http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

Looks very promising I can get the build I wanted for 500, which is decent but I have seen the same build for 450 just can’t remember where. Anyways this could be the one I’ll go for impressed with the site.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

what’s the alternative to alloy

Brass nipples my man, brass nipples

kerley
    Free Member

I build my own wheels and unless you live in the desert, don’t ride in the rain or enjoy having your wheels rebuilt regularly forget alloy nipples and going for super-skinny spokes like DT Revolutions

I also build my own wheels. Currently build was alloy nipples with DT Revolutions. Ridden all year round in wet and mud.
    Can you tell me how many years it will be before I will need to be regularly rebuilding them as haven’t had to do so yet ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Don’t worry it will come. It’ll start with a ping one day once the alloy nipple let’s go. Either that or you’ll go to tweek the wheel one day and find the nipples siezed.

tjagain

These guys did my last wheel tandem build for me. It a good build and they seem to know what they are talking about. Tandem rear wheels take a hammering and I have had previous builds from other folk fail.

Home

1timmy1
    Free Member

Another vote for JRA here. Also Stanley Ferns in Matlock did a good job rebuilding a wheel for me in the past.

zerolight
    Free Member

I bought from ptcycles.co.uk earlier this year and was really happy with the service and the result.

Splash-man
    Free Member

http://www.stradawheels.co.ukb
    Looks very promising I can get the build I wanted for 500, which is decent but I have seen the same build for 450 just can’t remember where. Anyways this could be the one I’ll go for impressed with the site.

The guys involved here have all worked in various LBS so I can be sure you will get a good service. Darren has always had a great reputation for his wheels.

ciquta
    Free Member

actionsports.de

deadkenny
    Free Member

ton – Member

Not any more. They only do JRA wheels now, with the exception of some sales stock of Industry Nine stuff and they do offer Stans rims with their JRA hubs.

I’ve moved on to PT Cycles. Does a good range of custom builds, and for me I like the range of DT options inc hubs. Couple of builds so far and been rock solid.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

I looked and they mainly only do there own wheels and hubs

applesandoranges
    Free Member

I’ve come to a decision and narrowed it down to two websites based on the comments and the reviews of each site.

PJ cycles and strada wheels both seem to be really good. It simply comes down to price and options now.

Also thanks for recommending me to get the brass nipples, from looking Alloy is problematic and it would of been a mistake I would have made.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘What is the best online wheel building site?’ is closed to new replies.