Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • what is the best bike you ever owned and why? pics please if possible!
  • manwells
    Free Member

mine was a 1971 raleigh chopper in ultra violet because it brings back so many childhood memories and it cost me £38 quite a small fortune in those days!

BillMC

2009 Genesis Core 40, the fastest, most comfortable and do-it-all surprise for a grand. I only bought it as a 'spare' but I've barely touched my £4k full-suss since it arrived.

DezB
    Free Member

Easily my current 575, but the RM Instinct comes close. First full sus, such a light, quick bike. I remember summers of endless power in my legs and I'm sure it was the bike. My brother has it now.
    The one on the left (ie. definitely not the one on the right!)

tinsy
    Free Member

I cant remember how much my first Chopper was, but I gave £200 for this one and then spent a fair bit on it… Its almost identical to my original except I have a 5 speed sturmey hub built into this one, but I don't have the bezel trim for the twin shifter so just running it with the original 3 speed. I will never sell it so value is unimportant now.

I have loved all my bikes… too many to picture..

manitou
    Free Member

I had a 1993 Manitou HT. the stiffest lightest bike i ever had..
    My current bike (Ellsworth Truth) is a close second place.

cynic-al
    Free Member

1990 Stumpjumper Epic.

Brought it back from the US where I'd been working, v. few in the UK.

bassspine
    Free Member

all my bikes are the best when I'm on them

clubber
    Free Member

Funnily enough, it was my recently deceased 2003 Rocky Mountain Element (same as the Instinct posted above) – it should be a bit crap being a basic suspension design and being a size too small for me but somehow it was the most confidence inspiring bike I've had (for XC/Trail type stuff) so I'm pretty gutted at having broken it (snapped the driveside dropout/chainstays) 🙁

rOcKeTdOg

too difficult a question

DezB
    Free Member

You might be able to get replacement chainstays?
    Mine was a 1999 model btw.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I've only ever not got on with one bike that I owned, a 1999 Cannondale F1000 but that's my fault, I bought it a size too large

If I had to pick one it'd probably be my Evil Sovereign

mtbfix

The one I'll never sell? My 96 Dekerf.

bullheart
    Free Member

2005 Whyte 19. Quite simply the greatest, most flattering bike I've ever owned.

Loved em all at some point. But something new/better always comes along.

Ultimately, riding isn't about what bike you ride, it's about the memories you have regardless of what you're riding at the time.

vinnyeh

'88 Fisher CR-7. Cos nostalgia rules.

Creg

The one that just arrived today.

Why? Because its the first bike I have bought second hand that hasnt had a cracked frame and I havnt been ripped off. 1 out of 4 is a pretty crap string of luck.

Junkyard
    Free Member

supergoose mongoose loved that bike saved all my paper round for a year Broke it on the bottom tube it clean snapped off doing a rad jump over something large just felt the bike go long as I landed …feeling sad now describing this really miss it …that was over 20 years ago

lyons
    Free Member

I agree with mr dialled bikes… All except my iron horse, or as I called it, the shonky donkey.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Usually the current one I own, as rose tinted as my view of my wonderful old Konas and Oranges is, each bike I've bought since has been genuinely better to ride.

My Five was the first bike that made MTBing as, possibly even more exciting than Windsrufing was…

uphilla
    Free Member

Got to be my Turner – had it getting on for 5 years now and still enjoying…

GW
    Free Member

uphilla – I take it you used the chairlift to descend? 😉

twinklydave

It just sits there, crying out for adventures and big long rides whenever I'm not out on it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

This one, &….

This one, which happen to be the same one. About 12 years between photo's & It's now my only bike. Irreplaceable as far as I'm concerened. (It's a 'Triggers Brush' as well mind)

the-muffin-man

My Ti Inbred – just coz its ace, and its the bike I compare everything else to and it always comes out on top…

khani
    Free Member

had it seven years now, still rides nice

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

The bike that got me into mountain biking – a muddy fox courier comp. I think it was an '89 model. Lovely brown crackled paint over red- with nice acid house yellow cable outers and logo. I always thought it looked like lava cooling down after an eruption, (but I was indulging in a lot of chemical and herbal substances then- it was considered rude not to)

Kuco

Toss up between my Cannondale DH Gemini or my Specialized Enduro pro. The Cannondale was ace doing a month in France rode it every day while I was their all ways regret selling it. The Enduro was a fun do it all bike but two weeks in Canada nearly killed it off.

andycs

My GHP bmx bike a long time ago!! Just the best bike I raced and the memories of the whole 80s race scene.

gee
    Free Member

Titus HCR. 6 years old and still competing in XC races every now and again.

_tom_
    Free Member

My current bike I reckon. DMR Trailstar frame with a mish-mash of various parts. It now has a dual ring setup on it but otherwise the same.

It's the best because it can do everything and isn't that heavy. Saddle up for XC, put it down for jumping and downhill.

The Pikes feel so good, best forks I've used. Confidence inspiring as they feel stiff with the 20mm maxle. Only thing I'm going to change on the bike for now is a Thomson post and eventually do an overhaul of the drivetrain with some nicer looking parts!

jedi

mike-at-dialledbikes – Member

Loved em all at some point. But something new/better always comes along.

Ultimately, riding isn't about what bike you ride, it's about the memories you have regardless of what you're riding at the time.

high5 mike!

muddyfox69
    Free Member

The one that got me started some 20 years ago. Muddy Fox Alu Comp. Lasted about 18 years until the frame snapped just before Cristmas. its been through a lot including 3 Strathpuffers. Got the frame welded with a view to rebuilding, but now the bottom bracket has seized in the frame and every bike shop i've tried, are unable to shift it.Its hanging up in the garage now just waiting…waiting…waiting…

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4467952228_939295d778_o.jpg[/img]

1 coz it's the dream bling bike, the other coz it's just functionally spot on after loads of 'almost right' bmx's.

JxL
    Free Member

… Because its my first custom bike build, its light and amazing to ride 🙂

zaskarrider
    Free Member

my fave bikes are the two i still have… my 18 year old Zaskar L.E. and my 15 year old Pantera AL.
    http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/zaskarrider/my%20bikes/DSCF1234.jpg
    http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/zaskarrider/my%20bikes/DSCF1203.jpg

mamadirt
    Free Member

For Manwells . . .

Looked like this after restoration . . .

Reckon my best bike ever would have to be the old flying V . . . pretty near perfect do-it-all bike

. . . although over this weekend I shall mostly be building up 'the one' . . . watch this space 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

The best bike I ever had was actually probably my old Federal Division BMX. So many good times had on that over 2002-2004! Wish I could properly get back into bmx but none of my mates ride any more. No pics of that sadly.

Hadge
    Free Member

I would have to say this –

my "old" Turner 5 Spot because it just felt as plush as hell, sorted geometry and so easy to maintain. Sold it because I stupidly thought there was better out there. So I've addressed that problem now and have this –

But there's one bike that gets more comments and more praise than any I've owned and it's the one I think I built up to a spec that it really deserved and that was my Merlin Oreas. Defintely my best ever hardtail

manwells
    Free Member

mamadirt that restored chopper is awesome how much do you want for it?

oldgit
    Free Member

I had a 'Birds of Colindale' 531c training bike in the 80s. Covered miles on it. My mate has found some photos to scan of it.
    531c frame
    MA40 greys on Campag Tipo.
    Cinelli bars and stem
    Brooks saddle
    SR Royale chainset
    Modolo brakes & levers
    Campag F&R mechs
    Salmon profil mudguards
    Nice to ride it was.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘what is the best bike you ever owned and why? pics please if possible!’ is closed to new replies.