• This topic has 102 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by nols.
Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • What is the best 4*4 out there?
  • mrmo
    Free Member

hairychested, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adam_h
    Free Member

My L200 is fine offroad, and has been perfect in the snow/ice. When it had the standard tyres on, it got abit hairy in the wet sometimes, but only lost the back end once or twice and that was probably due to me going too fast into wet roundabouts. But got Cooper S/T’s fitted a few months back and they’ve made a huge difference to road handling and I’ve hardly had to touch 4wd in the snow.

It’s never going to be the best offroader, but it keeps up fine with all the lifted Discos and Defenders when we go green laning. It locks the centre diff when it’s in 4wd and has a rear difflock, so it’s pretty capable when it gets rough. The main drawback is the massive rear over hang, the towbar takes abit of a beating getting dragged around sometimes 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends whos driving …..

just got me a defender – drove it down to my house and it took me 3 or 4 goes to get it back out ….. deep snow with compacted ice under neeth …. got it out though – didnt take it back in just left it at the top !

bruneep

didnt take it back in just left it at the top

I thought you wanted something to get you up n down the hill at your place?

Could you have not done the same (left it at the top) with car you have already?

firestarter
    Free Member

Monkey you don’t need all the fancy pants stuff to get down that. Select the right gear get off the clutch and let it go. Most silly accidents on terrain like that is people not trusting the wagon and or papping it and dipping the clutch

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bruce car hasn’t been this side of village in 2 weeks – van can’t get up the hill it’s 2 miles away at bottom of drive – the Landy is about 30 foot from my the house As the last hill is steep and has a 180 deg corner on it that’s iced up ! Made mince meat of the straight steeeepest hill I could find even covered in snow ! ! Can live with that ! It will get up the hill with corner once I get confident – I got up last night but inexperience showed . Trying to get Kenneththecurtain to come show me how it’s done and tow me out when i get stuck !

Pullin coal in for 2 miles on a sledge in foot deep snow gets wearing fast !

cranberry
    Free Member

trail_rat – you did engage difflock didn’t you ?

hora
    Free Member

Thought ‘whaaayy’ when I saw a post on the Lada Niva above…

Then the price…

What the ****. 😐

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Firestarter- Hence why I said most people don’t have the skills, I agree! I’ve been up and down stuff in an old 110 that hurt my ankles walking up. That hill is stupidly steep tho (even after you’ve taken the positive camera angle into account 😉 ) and is bordering on impossible but the RR made it look easy, Defender wouldn’t have done IMO.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

@ Hairychested, not had a chance to watch the vids you posted yet, will do later. I spend waaaay to much time on here tho wishing I had a spare couple of grand!! Love the old Russian trucks!

http://www.russianmilitary.co.uk/list.php?headers=land&sub_headers=TRUCKS

scotabroad

Nobodys mentioned Subarus, superb 4×4 “cars”! Heavy on fuel compared to normal cars but drive as a car should and have mechanical viscous diffs to give superb grip on road when required.

bruneep

Terry, you always move back into the city. 😉

must be some local urchins who can do the coal pullin for you.

nickf
    Free Member

For my needs the Discovery 3/4 is the ideal 4×4, more so than the Range Rover (I need 7 seats rather than just 5). Coupled with Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme tyres it’s proved unstoppable this week. In fact it’s been a bit boring, turning a potential drama into a minor snore-fest.

Heated seats & screen, winter tyres, height-adjustable suspension for the deepest of snow plus the secure knowledge that low ratio and lockable diffs will get you through pretty much anything, all the while doing it in total comfort.

Edric64
    Free Member

Thought ‘whaaayy’ when I saw a post on the Lada Niva above…

And you hardly see any used ones around .There was a tidy one on fleabay last week but that’s been it lately.They were last around 14 years ago though so it’s to be expected.

nols
    Free Member

Will probably get blasted on here, but went to Norfolk for a photoshoot a few weeks ago and was driven around in a fully off-road prepared Range Rover Sport – raised suspension, Cooper STT tires. Was amazing, and according to the guy driving, is extremely under-rated especially as they’re always seen on massive 20inch wheels etc.
    Still not as good as a G-wagen though. I have a 1989 280GE that I’m currently restoring and putting right. Amazing bit of kit. Parts are a F*ckin nightmare though…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

nols – very cool! They’ve started making them again. VERY expensive though!

farmer-giles
    Free Member

monkeyfudger – low second, engine brake all the way to the bottom, feet clear of all pedals and blip the throttle when the front wheels touched the horizontal.

i wouldnt take a 90 or 110 up it unless i had a roll cage though; not worth the risk in my book

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Does the OP want a 4×4, or a vehicle with 4wd ability for the winters like we’ve endured for the last couple of years?

A proper 4×4 is about ground clearance, axle articulation, gearing, & tyres. Nissan Terrano IMHO.

A 4wd car is about comfort & economy, and some sort of intelligent 4wd system that prevents a numpty doing the transmission damage. X-trail, Hyundai/Kia efforts, BMW, even Audi I suppose.

horatio
    Free Member

Nols, seems funny that they prepped a RR sport and not just a regular rangerover? surely a much better starting point!

G-wagens are lovely but inexplicably expesnive.

MisterT

all Landrovers are lovely to drive ofroad but a right royal pain in the backside for reliability.

Toyota defo make the best reliable proper off roader.

Subaru Forrester and Outback are brilliant proper off roading road cars – very capable at most peoples definition of off roading.

I’ve kicked my Landy days into the long grass after giving up on reliability of my last Disco (mk 3) and Freelander 2. now rely on Outback for daily duties and have a Forrester for dirty duties.

br
    Free Member

Better check the weight of the box and 2 horses. probably over the towing limit which isn’t a good idea.

Lightweight box and hers plus the pony are just under and luckily few hills where she goes. But then she loads up with 4 passengers, a couple of saddles and all the gear…

I wanted to get a Disco, but as its her only car she didn’t want to be driving around in one all the time.

nickf
    Free Member

I’ve kicked my Landy days into the long grass after giving up on reliability of my last Disco (mk 3)

Agreed, but the only car I’ve regretted getting rid of was my Disco 3, even though it was a PITA sorting out the niggles. After a 2 year break, I went and got another one, despite knowing all that I knew from previous ownership.

No regrets since doing so – it’s a fabulous bit of kit. Too thirsty, too heavy, but it’s so good at what it does that I’d forgive it virtually anything.

nols
    Free Member

Mister T – It was a G4 challenge vehicle, left hand drive. No idea why they used a Sport and not a regular. Pretty nice bit of kit, owner didn’t seem to give a toss about it getting totally covered in Sh*t during the shoot.

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘What is the best 4*4 out there?’ is closed to new replies.