Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What is more niche? Fat bikes or 29ers with funny handlebars?
  • hopefiendboy

I need to know. Have these bikes overtaken the classic niche courier bikes with business cards in spokes and 10cm wide handlebars?

ton

no, they are just bikes like you little kidy one……. 8)

hopefiendboy

do you mean my 26er? lol

TheBrick
    Free Member

courier bikes with business cards in spokes

Ha! never seen a courier bike with business cards in the spokes!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

What is more niche sh*t? Fat bikes or 29ers with funny handlebars

FTFY

Olly
    Free Member

fat bikes are way more niche.

at least 29ers have a point, as do the stupid bars (to drop the grips to compensate for the stupid wheels)

fat bikes are good on sandy beaches…..

how often do 95% of the population go to the beach?

divided by how many beaches in the UK are suitably sandy

divided by how many beaches in the uk are long enough to warrant a bike ride

= Niche/pointless as ****

Olly
    Free Member

and before you say “but snow and mud”. Fat bikes will never substitute proper mud tyres for snow and mud.

1.0″ wide, aggressive as chuff tread.

coastkid
    Free Member

divided by how many beaches in the UK are suitably sandy

divided by how many beaches in the uk are long enough to warrant a bike ride
    You must live in London or somewhere inland…
    There are miles and miles of coastline around Britain, have you not noticed were on this thing they call an island 🙂

Does not have to be sandy beach to have fun on these bikes,
    shingle, rocky headlands, pebbles, ground shells, rock pools exposed at low tide, mudflats, tidal sand flats, etc, anywhere a normal bike is a hard slog or near impossible to ride over.
    Watch a few episodes of coast on BBC4 and you will see theres plenty to go explore.
    I am quite glad the magazines are ignoring these bikes and only folk with a real interest in exploring these places are interested in getting one,

Yep, you dont want a fatbike, nothing of interest to see on them 😉

HermanShake
    Free Member

The cards are flyers from alley cat races, 29ers are niche in the way that Coke Zero is niche. Fatbikes definitely outniche the 29er.

I’d like to see someone do trials on a fatbike, surely the contact would be immense!

Wait a minute…is this a trick question as a fatbike kind of is a 29er?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i had car tire deep snow last year for 2 months at my house.

the faux by fauxs had to be towed out ……

it laughed at mud tires and agressive CX tires……

my larrys laughed at the snow 😀

now propper niche would be a fat bike with funny handlebars………

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP do you struggle with things that are different?

People with different coloured skin perhaps?

coastkid
    Free Member

Lots of fatty new stuff happening over in the Surly camp…
    See you on the moon! 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wait till you see my new beast Bruce!

I may even let you come on rides with me.

rOcKeTdOg

wait til the first 29er fat bike, nichemageddon!

tazzymtb

We’re gettin there I’ve got a 29er up to 72mm wide on the rubber front that goes wonderfully at 8psi…. It aint fat, but it’s got bingo wings and a muffin top

tomm
    Free Member

coastkid just talked me into getting a fatbike.
    i live on the northeast coast and can immediately think of many amazing places to go exploring.

letmetalktomark

Shirly 😉 Fat bikes are less niche than super fat bikes:

4.7” tyres 😯

Cheers for the link coastkid – makes for seriously cool reading 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

tazzy – what fork/tyre/rim are you using?

I have some RR2.4″ on 30mm Salsa rims in On-One carbon forks and get to 52mm as widest.

tazzymtb

Stoner- jones ti truss fork with a domintor unicycle rim and a wtb dissent 29er downhill tyre actual tyre body is abot 68mm knob to knob 72 dependin on tyre pressure

Stoner
    Free Member

is his fork a 135mm?

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Have to admit I’ve been toying with the idea of building a half-fat bike (just somemthing else to ride/play with and haven’t the pennies for a full version). However, seeing the other half-fat bikes with big tyre up front, thinner tyre at back, that look doesn’t appeal – so is the thinner tyre at back so you don’t have to worry about messing with chainline and stuff to avoid having the chain rub against a chunkier tyre? Is there a tyre width when this starts causing a problem?

letmetalktomark

This budget wheel build gets me to 75mm tyre width on a 26” rim.

Tyre is a 3.0” nokian gazzaloddi on a 49mm rim

Technically not really even half fat but a lot of fum for about 2/3 of the costa of a larry.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

If my fat front wheel and fork ever arrive my fat front cotic soul is going to be pretty nichetastic. Even more so if I work out how to get my hands on a big fat Larry instead of the standard Larry.

It’s more of an experiment than a long term prospect before anyone gets too upset.

surlynot
    Free Member

….i can rememeber when Mountain Biking was niche!

In answer to Olly’s post, surely as cyclists we could all be classified as Niche if we just ride one type of bike?

You could be missing out 😉

tazzymtb

stoner the fork I’ve got is 100mm spacing it’s rated for 29 x2.55 at it’s biggest and with the extra width it just gets enough clearance. the chubby front fits in a pace rc29 as well so it’ll fit in an on-one if you wanted to try that set up. You can borrow mine fr a play if you want

Stoner
    Free Member

thanks for the info tazzy.

I have a spare XT20mm hub lying around so might for a unicycle rim for a taste of half fat.

theres a unicycle internet shop somewhere isnt there?

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve got a fixed wheel hybrid.

Am I cool?

Please answer. I need reassurance.

tazzymtb

have a look for unicycle.uk.com they also have the dissents for silly cheap money 1.5 kg for a tyre is chunky but the 8psi trundle over anything with monster traction is ace and even works well in the peak district.

going to getto tubeless them for the next experiment

I must remember to edit this later as apparently rigid 29er singlespeeds are like unicorns or something in the peak……very rare but irresistible to virgins 😀

ton

the kris holm rims i use are from the unicycle place.
    perfect for you fatty lovers………. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

72mm tazzy ? sounds like you have a cyclocross tire there……95mm – larry on arctic cycles 100mm drilled

Spin
    Free Member

Your wang didn’t quite make it into shot then?

Stoner
    Free Member

you have tiny feet trailrat

tazzymtb

trail rat I agree but the bike still weighs under 25lb and goes back to under 20lbs when i put my nobby nic 2.35s on stans back, so there 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

22mm feet – i resent your laughter stoner – its not funny i keep falling over due to my enormous wang and small feet:)

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘What is more niche? Fat bikes or 29ers with funny handlebars?’ is closed to new replies.