Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • What is it with you lot down in England
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

wanting to legitimise these UKIP planks? Why give Farrage the publicity(this debate is the perfect example, why does he deserve a tv debate with the deputy PM)?

Is there some secret conspiracy to give UKIP free advertising or something?

It’s mental.

imnotverygood

Wasn’t George Galloway on Newsnight Scotland the other day?

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’d ban Shouty McSoundbite from the tele aswell.

bencooper
    Free Member

Gorgeous George gets very upset when people call him an English MP 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

bencooper – Member
    Gorgeous George gets very upset when people call him an English MP

haha, that was funny(on stilts)! 😀 Sillars defo got the better of him.

jekkyl

Don’t watch television, it’ll rot your brains!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I thought the LibDems were big in Scotland, almost a Scottish party in fact……why blame England ?

seosamh77
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    I thought the LibDems were big in Scotland, almost a Scottish party in fact……why blame England ?

Having a debate with Nigel Farrage was not aimed at the Scottish electorate. It’s purely for the English electorate.

sbob
    Free Member

I’m not sure why you are concerning yourself with “English” politics?

ETA:
    Divide and conquer, Salmond 1 , The United Kingdom 0.

seosamh77
    Free Member

sbob – Member
    I’m not sure why you are concerning yourself with “English” politics?

Hopefully this debate makes more people in Scotland ask that question!

CountZero

seosamh77 – Member
    wanting to legitimise these UKIP planks? Why give Farrage the publicity(this debate is the perfect example, why does he deserve a tv debate with the deputy PM)?

Is there some secret conspiracy to give UKIP free advertising or something?

It’s mental.
    It’s a democracy, he’s legally entitled to have his say, just like any other legal political party.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So you start off the thread strongly complaining about the debate and now you claim that you are hoping that it will have a positive result ? Well done.

Are you going to spend between now and the referendum in September constantly engaging in petty point scoring against the English ?

seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s a democracy, he’s legally entitled to have his say, just like any other legal political party.

But a debate with the deputy PM? that’s nuts, they’ve 2 seats in parliament, that’s not representative(it’s heavily skewed). We can’t even get cameron to come up here and have debate about keeping the country together.

seosamh77
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    So you start off the thread strongly complaining about the debate and now you claim that you are hoping that it will have a positive result ? Well done.

Are you going to spend between now and the referendum in September constantly engaging in petty point scoring against the English ?
    I’d be asking the same question if there was no referendum.

RustySpanner

Cameron doesn’t want the country to stay together.

And the government are terrified of UKIP because England is overpopulated by weak, ignorant, small minded, insecure, nasty little closet racsists, who they have traditionally courted themselves.

TheBrick
    Free Member

that’s not representative

Since when has the government been representative?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’d be asking the same question if there was no referendum.

What question, the thread title : “What is it with you lot down in England” ?

You think ‘we lot down in England’ arranged the debate ? We all got together and decided that Nick Clegg should have a debate with Nigel Farrage ? “The English” are responsible for this ?

Puerile petty point scoring. Grow up please.

I saw your post before you edited btw seosamh77.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Ernie, I don’t think you could be anymore sanctimonious pedantic if you tried. 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

It was a good debate.

UKIP speaks the language people understand.

Lib Dem speaks their own language only they can understand.

Deep down this is an island.

I vote UKIP next time.

😆

p/s: I have voted for Tories, Labour and Lib Dem in the past so voting something new this time. Not the far right though as they are simply as delusional as the far left.

user-removed
    Free Member

Sorry? Can you repeat that please? Not sure I understood but it sounded a little like you’ve voted for every party going and have finally plumped for the booby prize.

There’s tactical voting and then there’s indecisiveness borne of idiocy.

chewkw
    Free Member

user-removed – Member

… you’ve voted for every party going and have finally plumped for the booby prize.

There’s tactical voting and then there’s indecisiveness borne of idiocy.

Yes, I have voted all of them in the past. Label me swing voter whatever …

I thought democracy meant you could vote for who you like? No? Whose fault is that when the party cannot convince the people to vote for them? Blame the voters? 😆

Why stick to one party? What for?

racefaceec90

seosamh77 don’t be presuming to speak for me 😉

although i’m english (part scottish too),have no time for call me nigel whatsoever.

toys19
    Free Member

UKIP speaks the language people understand.

Lib Dem speaks their own language only they can understand.

The problem with England is our education system. Only the hard of thinking have problems understanding the Lib Dems, leaving them on the same level as UKIP. We teach people to abandon their critical faculties.

allthepies
    Free Member

You missed out the “in my opinion” bit at the end, or at the start if you like. Because his on record position is that he does want to union to continue.

gobuchul
    Free Member

But a debate with the deputy PM? that’s nuts, they’ve 2 seats in parliament, that’s not representative

However, they have a lot of councillors and a growing membership.

Surely if a democracy is to work then a new party has to have some chance to voice it’s opinions? How else would you break the current system?

Let them have a voice and then people can make their own minds up.

The Dep PM isn’t that big a deal anyway.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Aren’t both parties running at similar level in the polls? If so, why not give UKIP the same voice as the LDs. The beauty of freedom of speech is that it allows people to condemn themselves. “Incredibly” in this case, the papers are reporting that Farrage “won” the debate.

grum
    Free Member

Yay let’s make stupid trolly generalisations about ‘the English’.

Or we could do it about the Scottish too – perhaps make some jokes about them all being alcoholic sectarian-obsessed deep-fried mars bar eaters? That always seems to go down well.

ononeorange

Odious Farage was always going to win a “debate” like that as he will just go for the lowest xenophobic denominator, ignoring incoveniences like facts (29m Bulgarians and Romanians, anyone?) and as above appealing to the hard of critical thinking. Right-wing demagogues are very good at it (except Nick Griffin as he was just too stupid).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There are certain Respect and SNP politicians that are pretty useful at using Farage’s tactics too!!!

sbob
    Free Member

Now I’ve sobered up a bit I’m trying to work out if this thread is a work of comedy genius or a case of irony being lost on seosamh77. 🙂

somouk
    Free Member

I think it was an exercise in making sure UKIP get enough rope to hang themselves on TV.

Not sure he fully succeeded but there will no doubt be other chances.

footflaps

Only the hard of thinking have problems understanding the Lib Dems,

The real problem with our education system is that no matter what we try half the population still have below average intelligence!

konabunny
    Free Member

Right-wing demagogues are very good at it (except Nick Griffin as he was just too stupid).

Have you any evidence for the suggestion that Griffin is stupid?

Rockape63
    Free Member

If the Jocks do vote for Independence, will that mean they can’t post on STW anymore?

Just wondering……!

ononeorange

His performance on Question Time.

toys19
    Free Member

The real problem with our education system is that no matter what we try half the population still have below average intelligence!

I want to see your evidence of that..

Have you any evidence for the suggestion that Griffin is stupid?

Every time he opens his mouth.

mt
    Free Member

Whats with you Scottish folk, I know Salmond has taught you all to shout down opposition but the English are more civilized. Even those of us that have the burden of Scottish ancestory.

This message was brought to you from the UK Generalisation Company Ltd.

hora
    Free Member

OP shouldn’t ‘you lot’ up there stick to making kilts, shortbread and Whisky and keep your noses out of our oil ta.

clubber
    Free Member

The issue is that Labour and the Cons are too divided on things like immigration and the EU to be confident of performing well in any way on this topic. But this means that UKIP are able to peddle all sorts of misinformation (as do parts of the Conservative party) that risks not being countered.

As I see it, the comment previously about giving them enough rope to hang themselves is the goal of this debate from all the main parties – basically, have the discussion, let UKIP expose themselves for what they are (xenophobes basically) and hopefully expose the various lies such as the millions of Romanians, etc who are going to flood our country and take our jobs with a view to hopefully putting the issue to bed (until the next recession at least) without actually having had to overtly put forward a position.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Farage does seem to enjoy a media profile out of all proportion to UKIP’s electoral support. He’s like the Davina McCall of politics programmes – every time you tune into one, he’s on it. I suppose it’s because he’s the least preposterous of the swivel-eyed loons among his party’s ranks and they can’t trust anyone else to go on camera without risking headlines about Bongo-Bongo Land and gay marriage resulting in floods.

There is a serious edge to it though because, with the Tories scared of losing votes to them, and substantial swathes of the national press echoing their views, they are dictating the tenor of political debate in this country and giving it a mean-spirited, insular, immigrant-bashing, isolationist flavour. The mere fact of there being an in-out EU referendum in the offing is a victory for UKIP.

The not-entirely unrealistic prospect of a hung parliament in 2016 resulting in a Farage-a-trois with the Tories and the Lib Dems gives me the fear.

Obviously, it’s a worst-case scenario, but the mere possibility of it would certainly influence my thinking if I was voting in the Scottish independence referendum.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘What is it with you lot down in England’ is closed to new replies.