Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • What is it about lock-on grips that you love?
  • the00
    Free Member

Seen today’s poll, and currently 19% of people have said that they HAVE to have lock on grips. WTF is that about?

These days most brakes and shifters have a split clamp, so I don’t see the point. I honestly never found lock-ons to be more secure that proper grips. Sure I don’t mind if that’s what you like, but is it that big a deal for you?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You’ve never found grips with locking collars to be any less secure than grips with none? Have you ever ridden in the wet?

soobalias
    Free Member

wouldnt even consider non-lock-on grips.

they dont move when you dont want them to, they come off easily.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Soobalias +1

dirtydog
    Free Member

WTF is that about?

Dunno I use ESI, no slippage and no collar. 8)

Won’t be going back to lock-ons any time soon.

hanchurch
    Free Member

Would only use locking ones now, so much better in the wet.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

They are a smidge easier to fit but I’ve never had a problem with regular grips. I do always fit regular grips using spray glue so they don’t slip in the wet and have to be cut off.

cookeaa

Don’t really see the issue OP, less than 20% have a preference for one specific type of component, you still get to be in the majority who aren’t so bothered…

I much prefer a lock-on grip to a regular one it’s just a better solution, but it isn’t some sort of manifesto, just a grip preference… I promise I won’t mock you for your inferior grip choice… 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Nothing.

honourablegeorge

muppetWrangler – Member
    They are a smidge easier to fit but I’ve never had a problem with regular grips. I do always fit regular grips using spray glue so they don’t slip in the wet and have to be cut off.

Having to cut your grips off sounds like a problem to me

thomthumb
    Free Member

nothing.

funkmasterp

I find lock on grips with a metal outer collar last longer. Don’t know why, but the end of grips on all my bikes always take the brunt of every off. This has resulted in loads of grips ripping. Since using lock on grips I now have ‘added character’ rather than properly destroyed grips. This could have more to do with my skill level than anything else though.

I just prefer them really, similar to flat pedals and low rise bars. Tried others, but these just work fort me. 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Having to cut your grips off sounds like a problem to me

🙂 I guess that does sound like it could be a problem, but I don’t recall ever having to remove grips that weren’t due for the bin so it’s not been a problem for me. Having said that my bikes all currently have lock on grips but that’s more to do with me being a bit lazy rather than anything inherently wrong with the regular type.

johnnystorm

I’m with Dirtydog. ESI or similar silicone grips slip straight on with windolene and don’t come off until I break the seal with a ziptie and another squirt of windolene. Why have horrible hard and heavy grips?

johnnystorm

*duplicate post*

kimbers

Why have horrible hard and heavy grips?

Because having grips that don’t rotate after a day riding in the pissing rain is more important than saving the weight of a loud fart

ODI Xtrainers are comfy as you like too

Harry_the_Spider

I like the smell.

garage-dweller

Have you ever ridden in the wet?

Nah, this being STW he was making artisan coffee in his wood burner equipped T4 home converted luxury camper while it was raining like the rest of us.

johnnystorm

Never had mine spin round even during 24hr events with 12 hours of rain.

garage-dweller

Lock ons are good if you are a serial bike bodger and your kit pre dates openupable clamps or as mentioned above if you ride in shit weather a lot.

buckster
    Free Member

Absolutely nothing, especially those that lock both ends

Rorschach
    Free Member

Nothing…..I hates them.I’ve bulk bought enough DMR zip grips to last me till I die (also they were £3ish a pair)

mattyfez

I just don’t like metal bits on grips, so ESI for me. They don’t seem to slip at all, the very ends have a bit of give but I’d rather that than a hard metal lock ring.

mattyfez

Dp

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Eh..? Slip-on grips are soooo 1995.. 😯

I’m amazed it’s as low as 18% in the poll.

What’s not to like? Metal bits at the end of your bars to smack into things and damage paint work, etc., cool pimpy anodized colours, awesome metal rings to rest your hands on at the ends of the bars, and whip your grips on or off in 20 seconds, all with a smug sense of satisfaction.

Last time I fannied about with glue and spray and sharp knives was waaaay too long ago. Never again, kids..

twisty

The downside of lockons is they cost more and they have less cushioning due to the solid plastic core.
    The plus of lockons is they are easier to take on and off, (especially at short notice, slide ons need to leave overnight to set) plus the alloy ends are gnarr (although you can get gnarr alloy bar plugs too).
    So choose your poison I guess.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

These days most brakes and shifters have a split clamp,

o’reilly

cheers_drive

I’ve moved away from lockons as I find them uncomfortable especially at the ends as I ride with my hands overhanging the bars (even on very wide bars). Foam grips are much nicer but admittedly do slip on long wet rides (not something I do often) and are faff to fit and remove.

rascal
    Free Member

Having used both it’s clear lock-ons are way easier to get on and off.
    Yet to find a pair that are actually nice and soft though – I like a nice phat girth and now use Raceface Good n Evil – £10 a pair, feel lovely and last well. Put on with deodorant spray which sticks fine when dry and no issues when wet. PITA when getting them off which is the only downside. Always find the core barrel of the lock-ons makes the grips too hard and hate the metal collar on the outside (If dual collars).

coatesy
    Free Member

Lock-ons are great if you work in a bike shop and/or need to remove them regularly, not so fussed on my own bike though. I’ve not had grips slip on my bike for years,despite riding in some absolutely foul weather, and put it down to the type of bars rather than the grips themselves, smooth and shiney bars hold them brilliantly, whilst peened and rough ones seem to provide a path for water to seep under in no time.
    Another,admittedly rarely encountered, minus for lock-ons is trying to remove them if the bars have corroded underneath, effectively jamming them on, not to mention the ham-fisted serial bolt rounders.
    All things considered, they’re probably a good thing for most.

epicyclo

garage-dweller – Member
    Lock ons are good if you are a serial bike bodger and your kit pre dates openupable clamps or as mentioned above if you ride in shit weather a lot.

+1

First time I saw lock on grips I thought about time, and I’ve fitted them to everything since.

If you find them too hard you can cut the grip off and fit another. I’ve used a grip from a motorbike for this, or you can just use handlebar tape and create your own removable comfortable custom grip.

ferrals
    Free Member

My current grips only have bolts on the inside and I find them less secure than normal grips, there’s a kind of disconcerting twist if reall hammering on the pedals standing up

stumpy01

The bestest thing about lock-ons that I love is when they are knackered, I can make monotone pan pipes out of them….

simon1975

Tried them years ago, they weren’t comfortable. Where’s the option to vote for “Anything but lock-ons”??

DezB
    Free Member

Tried them years ago, they weren’t comfortable

All of them??

Some are comfortable, some aren’t. A teensy tiny bit like non-lock ons.
    My son’s bike had some really comfortable mushroom grips on it, he doesn’t wear gloves, so wanted thme back on when I changed his bars. I put them back on and they just rotated, moved, slipped as they got stretched when getting them off. He has lock-ons now (Lizard Skins) and hasn’t complained.
    Still, you don’t like em, don’t use em. Who bloody cares!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I tried everything to get my old grips to stay in place – paint, hairspray, photo mount, wire…then I switched to lock on grips and have never looked back.

They aren’t perfect though, the allen bolt heads can rust and round out, but it’s possible to remove stubborn grips with an adjustable spanner and a hammer.

My absolute favourites are the ODI Vans grips. I’ve very large hands so the chunky profile fits perfectly. I’ll go out of my way to find a set.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Different Grips for different needs

I use lock-ons on my suspension bikes because…not sure really mainly as they are already on there I think. I suppose it allows you to color match your bike with bling lock rings maybe 😉

On my rigid bike I use foam grips – because the space taken up by the plastic tube on a lock on grip can be filled with foam and therefor more comfortable.

I only fitted the foam grips last year and the fact that they haven’t budged a mm since fitting (no glue used) despite being my winter bike has left me pondering the point of the lock on ones which I assumed would be more solid. They are heavier and more expensive too!

Also top tip for removing and installing foam grips – lift one end of the grip and stick the rubber pipe from your ghetto lemonade bottle tubeless inflator underneath. Then blast away and watch with satisfaction as the grip fires across the garage (or with a gentle push slides onto the bar). Air is a fantastic lubricant! Takes less time than removing or fitting a lock-on – especially when the bolts are filled with dried mud.

Northwind

People keep saying about spinning, it’s just a non-issue if you a) have decent grips and b) fit them right. If you buy rubbish lock-ons, they don’t work well either.

Funnily enough I managed years on motorbikes without needing to bolt my grips to the bike…

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve been using lock-ons for yonks now, they’re just my default.

I like the fact that they don’t rotate (not that I had too many issues previously) and that they’re easy to remove / reinstall. Comfort wise, I don’t notice the metal clamps or find them worse than normal grips.

the00
    Free Member

Glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t get lock-on grips then.

That is all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What is it about lock-on grips that you love?’ is closed to new replies.