Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • what is in quorn….
  • vondally
    Free Member

and why does it make my niece vomit?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s processed fungus and it can give me serious indigestion. It’s not actually food imo.

crikey
    Free Member

She needs to NTFU, it’s mycoprotein, basically a fungus that they grow on toads backs before harvesting it.

scaredypants

quorn = soylent green

aP
    Free Member

I’m reasonably sure that it was the first mass produced GM food product. I never understand how popular it is but assume it’s used as a meat substitute for those who have no imagination.

crikey
    Free Member

assume it’s used as a meat substitute for those who have one veggie child and two non veggie children, so we can all eat the same thing at the same time with the minimum of fuss.

cchris2lou

people can become allergic to quorn quite quickly .

dribbling
    Free Member

Wet cardboard.

bigjim

It’s a soil fungus grown in large vats in a factory, with some egg to bind it together and some other things no doubt. It gives me terrible indigestion too, and is probably in a sense the ultimate in processed food. It isn’t GM though. There will be a lot about it on wikipedia.

sbob
    Free Member

Fungus is not a food group.
    Anything that has the ability to grow between my toes should not be eaten.

assume it’s used as a meat substitute for those who have one veggie child and two non veggie children, so we can all eat the same thing at the same time with the minimum of fuss

Veggie kids?
    Tantamount to child abuse, and your laziness is no excuse for poor parenting. 😛

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

it’s used as a meat substitute for those who have no imagination.

Please say you’re here all week.

drain

LOL at ‘Soylent Green” 😀

It’s undifferentiated fungal mycelium i.e. mycoprotein like in mushrooms, but ‘shrooms are the fruiting bodies of the largely unseen fungal body.

vondally
    Free Member

We are veggies never eaten quorn at all, niece goes round to friends and they considerately give her quorn burger only for her to vomit it up 1 or 2 hours later……

Basically she is eating athletes foot?

wwaswas

I throw up if I eat Quorn.

My wife fed it to me twice just to be sure the first time wasn’t a ‘one off’ 🙁

tron
    Free Member

It’s a fungus based protein, grown in vats and invented by ICI.

I think that tells you enough to work out that it’s not really food in the normal sense…

sbob
    Free Member

I can’t believe it’s actually more expensive than meat, and that’s without taking into consideration the fact that you have to buy Quorn and then buy something to flavour it with.

ahwiles
    Free Member

what is in quorn….

Quorn is evil stuff, that makes me vomit so violently that i 5*it myself.

vondally – Member

scrapings from a foot, heavily infected with athletes foot, would be quite wholesome and nutritious, when compared with Quorn.

yunki
    Free Member

it’s great.. awesome low fat protein, farmed in vats..

sausages and mince (for bolognese) are a regular feature in the (omnivorous) yunki household..

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Veggie kids?
    Tantamount to child abuse, and your laziness is no excuse for poor parenting.

don’t agree with the abuse bit, but the laziness bit might be ok.

You can provide a diet that is just as balanced whilst avoiding meat, and some forms of meat are best avoided anyway – processed meats like ham, sausage, etc.

vegan would definitely be child abuse though…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

…………………..

WHAT!?

Grown, in vats.

Mindblowingly excellent information!

*goes to wikipedia*

crikey
    Free Member

Sorry?

I fully accept that I am lazy, and that I abuse my kids, but disrespecting sausages is fighting talk…

chvck
    Free Member

I can’t believe it’s actually more expensive than meat

In my experience it isn’t unless you’re buying really shit meat. We’re both meat eaters in this household but still eat plenty of meals with no meat and just quorn and/or various vegetables. I think that it’s quite nice!

Drac

processed meats like ham, sausage, etc.

Find a better butcher.

Kuco

Quorn, I always thought it was scrapped of Satan’s bellend.

aP
    Free Member

but still eat plenty of meals with no meat and just quorn and/or various vegetables

As I wrote earlier, non meat product for people with no imagination.

chvck
    Free Member

Or people who like the taste, try using your imagination to picture that being possible 😉

crikey
    Free Member

As I wrote earlier, non meat product for people with no imagination.

As with some other vegetarians I have known, humourless bastards…

andywoods
    Free Member

tried it few weeks ago for the first time, what an insult to food

fizzicist
    Free Member

Soil derived fungus, fermented with Glucose as an energy source, Sulphuric Acid and Phosphoric Acid to help things along with a few Synthesised Amino Acids for digestibility. Chemical-tastic!

I would sooner eat the eyeballs, snouts and bollocks of a perpetually shit-covered coprophagic quadruped fed on spent brewers yeast. Or Sausages as they are more commonly known.

Quorn is appalling stuff unfit to be called food, but researching the whole chain behind what’s on your plate is terrifying. Stuff like this makes it very tempting to live in a wooden shack and only eat what I farm or catch.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Creme of sumyunguy?

aP
    Free Member

Oh, I’m not vegetarian, I just just care more about what I eat than reheating a meat substitute.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

vondally – Member

We are veggies never eaten quorn at all, niece goes round to friends and they considerately give her quorn burger only for her to vomit it up 1 or 2 hours later……

yep. athlete’s foot with better PR.

loum
    Free Member

desiccated smeg

djglover
    Free Member

My dad was on the team that developed it. Partership between ICI and rank hovis iirc

crikey
    Free Member

Oh, I’m not vegetarian, I just just care more about what I eat than reheating a meat substitute.

Ah, a snobby omnivore… Great.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ah, a snobby omnivore… Great.

To be fair crikey you are pretty much the only person on this thread so far to have something good to say about quorn, so I’m not sure why you have singled out aP.

aa
    Free Member

Veggie kids?
    Tantamount to child abuse, and your laziness is
    no excuse for poor parenting.

Lol. One of my best mates, a veggie, reckons me feeding my kids meat is tantamount to giving them heroin! Once they taste flesh they can never give it up.

cchris2lou

quorn is ok if prepared and cooked properly .

crikey
    Free Member

Don’t worry yourself about it ern, it’s ok.

Crag
    Free Member

Its the only thing I’m (knowingly) allergic to. Quite common as well iirc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘what is in quorn….’ is closed to new replies.