Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What is "fitness?"
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Apart from Rachel Riley 😉

Where does it reside? How is it acquired and why do we lose it after a sedentary period?

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends on the context. Be more specific..?

wwaswas

‘fitness for purpose’

whether your body is able to deliver on your expectations of it.

You train your brain to work your body at the level your body can run at.

My experience is that your brain takes time to adjust to your body becoming less able to do what’s asked of it.

This is perceived as beign ‘unfit’.

Alternatively, it could just be that you feel unfit when you can’t keep up with your mates on the Tuesday night ride or whatever…

tinsy
    Free Member

I read on here 2 weeks not doing much & it starts to drop off, that might be BS.

For me at this point “fitness” or being fit is fit enough to do all the things I need to do with mimimum fuss & hurt.

“fitness” in the past has been pure bike fit, nothing much else mattered as long as I could ride fast with the odd race thrown in to test myself.

I think it will mean different things to different people.

fasthaggis

What fit would you like ?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Fitness means entirely different things for different people. i.e not the same thing for a professional athlete and a pensioner although they could both be considered fit.

For me at this point “fitness” or being fit is fit enough to do all the things I need to do with mimimum fuss & hurt.

That’s not a bad definition, the things you need to do bit has such a wide variance between people though.

willard

Two weeks? More like less than a week.

Fitness to me is being able to get up and run distance at the drop of a hat. The distances are more stamina, but fitness is being able to get up and go time after time.

Currently I do not have that ability, partly because of injury, partly because I just feel shit. That may be psychological though. I really should just force myself to go out. I feel better when i do.

tinsy
    Free Member

Two weeks? More like less than a week.

I read it on here, it must be true!! 😉

footflaps

I thought that you lost fitness as roughly the rate at which you had gained it, so if you’d trained for years, it would take years to lose it. This seems to resonate with personal experience.

soobalias
    Free Member

FOOTFLAPS!!!!!

he said he read it on here.
    two weeks.

end of.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Speed/power is quickest to go, normally a week to two without training will reduce these levels.

Endurance is slower, and as stated is more or less related to how much time you have spent building it.

zilog6128

FOOTFLAPS!!!!!

he said he read it on here.
    two weeks.

end of.
    😆

andypaul99
    Free Member

Fitness to me is being able to get up and run distance at the drop of a hat. The distances are more stamina, but fitness is being able to get up and go time after time.

+1 Spot on

nickc

Fitness for me is being able to recover from hard work. either during exercise or after it. So the ability to still maintain some speed on a bike after climbing a hill at a reasonably fast pace, while slowing your breathing back to normal and gaining power again in your legs ready for the next period of exertion. I don’t necessarily expect it not to hurt.

It never gets any easier, you just go faster.

baby
    Free Member

Fitness for me is having a VO2 max in excess of 70.

Pretty much allows me to do everything I want.

surfer
    Free Member

whether your body is able to deliver on your expectations of it

But if you have very low expectations then you may be very unfit. It is a bit subjective but we generally recognise “fitness” when we see it.

allthepies
    Free Member

This IMO.

yunki
    Free Member

the ability to illicit a twit twoo from the sexy mamacitas

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What is "fitness?"’ is closed to new replies.