Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What is faster on gravelly sandy fire road and smooth trails…
  • DT78
    Free Member

Race spec Xc 29er hard tail or race spec CX bike

same legs and other variables.

brassneck

I have both (well, the CX is a Tripster rather than race spec – hardtail is a Whyte 29CS) – all my Strava bests are on the CX where I can ride it.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

CX assuming normal hard packed gravel, maybe MTB if it’s very loose or has larger stones.

DT78
    Free Member

How much faster? Significant %? I trying to mentally justify a n+1 decision for a superx when I imagine my scale is perfectly adequate.

Does a CX makes stuff that seems pretty tame on a mtb a bit more fun?

kerley
    Free Member

That is the surface I ride almost solely on. My fastest times are with a fixed gear, brakeless track bike. It did have a higher gear than my singlespeed cross or MTBs I have owned so may not have been fair but it was faster on uphill sections too so that may discount that.

How much faster?, I would estimate around 10 seconds over a 3 minute segment.

I moved back to an SS MTB when I realised I was going faster but having less fun. Tame stuff is tame stuff whatever bike you are on, the CX bike is bad as soon as you hit a section where it is rough or not so tame.

bigblackshed

To answer the original question. No idea.

Does a CX makes stuff that seems pretty tame on a mtb a bit more fun?

If by fun you mean scary? Hell yes.

No discernible grip, no bump or impact absorbency.

I still like riding my CX bike, but it’s not about the speed, but then I see very little point of STRAVAAAAAAAA!

cookeaa

Assuming the XC bike has bouncey forks I reckon the CX bike would be faster/less energy sapping, but probably not by much TBH…

bikebouy
    Free Member

CX bike probs 10-15% faster over the terrain you mention, that’s not scientific calculation just an obvz from me and a few mates riding together.
    But, is it more fun?
    Actually it’s hard work on a CXer if you are on 33mm tyres, griffos for example. If you can get 38mm Gravel Grinders on then it’s much nicer and not too dissimilar to an XC running 2.1’s..

I use a mix of 33’s for racing and 38’s for other surfaces, no preference but conditions based solution.

What n+1 are you considering ?

dovebiker

Definitely a CX bike – number of established MTB XC routes nearby that get used for local XC series and in the dry my CX bike is minutes ahead of my fastest MTB time, mainly because of the weight difference and benefit on climbs.

kcal

re kerley’s post, it’s interesting – I have a mongrel of an old alu MTB, with drop bars, old tyres and fixed gear. It’s not the out and out fastest bike I have, but there are quite a few sections where it’s the bike I’ve got the fastest time on – admittedly I’d rarely take it off road, but tyres are rubbish – so Suspect is a combination of higher gearing, lower weight, tuck position allowing more drive — and the fixed gear bit making you keep pressing on..

DT78
    Free Member

Bike bouy, CX. I missed out on a superx from Royles in the sales at £1k (lovely blue one not current one) and regretted it since. I’m thinking for blasts round the new forest it might be more fun than the 29er. As for speed, I like pushing hard and going fast so flat out bikes are my oreference

mr_stru

I’ve got a local strava segment that’s mostly either hardpack or tarmac with the last bit being singletrack that’s a bit rooty. My best time is on a 26″ hard tail but if you do a comparison with the best time on my, admittedly not remotely race spec, croix de fer it’s quicker until you hit the single track and then the hardtail gains rapidly.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been riding my Whyte Saxon Cross on the Quantocks all winter using Vittoria XN Pro 31mm tyres at 85 psi. It’s probably faster most places I ride, and even if it isn’t it certainly feels faster.

bikebouy
    Free Member

DT78, if it’s flat chat CX rides you’re after then always pick a CXer. Then give me a call.. 😀

kerley
    Free Member

I think one of the main reasons is the riding position. My SS MTB weighs close to my previous fixed gears and about the same as SS cross bikes I have owned so not a weight thing.

Riding a bike in the drops is just faster than riding sat upright (and that is even with my relatively large saddle to bar drop on my MTB)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What is faster on gravelly sandy fire road and smooth trails…’ is closed to new replies.