Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • What is considered a 'good' salary?
  • crikey
    Free Member

The really interesting bit is the way that the only way to work in London is to live close enough to be able to work there, which in turn means that you have to earn enough to be able to live close enough to be able to earn enough to live close enough to be able to earn enough to be able to live close enough to earn enough.

It’s a funny old game.

LHS
    Free Member

Late to this. I think a lot of good posts and in general there is no correct answer. For some a good wage is whether they can afford a house, a car and a good holiday once a year. For others a good wage is at least 5% more than what their neighbours or friends earn. The biggest deciding factor is geographical location and I am sure I will get flamed for the following but I think for the north of England £30k is probably a good living wage then a linear scale (bar a few exceptions) up to £80k as a good living in London. To be really comfortable, have a good home etc in London you really need a household income of upwards of £140k.

hooli

The average house price in the Uk is supposed to be £235k? A quick google shows this means a £1200 odd payment.

That’s about £21k without more than a few pennies to spare.

I guess to own an average house, drive an average car etc would need the best part of £35k. you can make your own mind up if that is good or not.

Note, back of fagpacket calculations after a boozy lunch so may be a tad off 😉

epicsteve
    Free Member

When I went to Canada I noticed the important things were cheaper – housing/bills and stuff like that… less important stuff seemed quite expensive like gadgets

Might depend where in Canada. I had an job offer in Toronto recently and it appeared to be a bit more expensive to live in than Edinburgh, with that mostly down to significantly more expensive housing.

bigjim

These public salary displays are vulgar.

Yeah these threads, hi fi threads and car threads really bring out the ham shankers.

I don’t think I would want to earn much less than £25k, I think at that you can still afford a nice bike and some good holidays, which are the most important things in life.

I think I earn a fraction of most of the people on here, but I work part time at my own decision and view that quality of life as much higher than earning enough to have an audi, audiophile hifi or whatever lots of people on here seem to see as an indicator of success/quality of life.

I’d say figure out the minimum you need to cover your living costs, hobbies and holidays and start from there up. You adapt to what you earn.

Conqueror
    Free Member

When I went to Canada I noticed the important things were cheaper – housing/bills and stuff like that… less important stuff seemed quite expensive like gadgets

Might depend where in Canada. I had an job offer in Toronto recently and it appeared to be a bit more expensive to live in than Edinburgh, with that mostly down to significantly more expensive housing.

Ah this was BC

crankrider
    Free Member

The average house price in the Uk is supposed to be £235k? A quick google shows this means a £1200 odd payment.

That’s about £21k without more than a few pennies to spare.

I guess to own an average house, drive an average car etc would need the best part of £35k. you can make your own mind up if that is good or not.

Probably true – but again it is totally skewed by super expensive London houses which will alter figures much more considerably than the ‘lower’ end of housing which is only 100k cheaper rather than 2million more expensive…..

235k gets you quite a nice house indeed (relative to what you are used to of course) round here – In london i imagine you would get a garden shed!

hooli

totally skewed by super expensive London houses

Not really, it is an average so balanced out by the cheaper houses elsewhere in the country. There will be more £150k houses in the country than £3 million at a guess.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

My aim in life as far as ££ goes is to always earn my age in 000’s

Hmm, well perhaps it means I’m just young at heart then.

I’m 29, earning 20k, and enjoy nights in with a DVD group of strippers

grum
    Free Member

I earn well less than the average wage or the ‘years in 000s’ thing but I’m happy/comfortable. I also don’t work full-time. We did get a lot of help buying a house though.

Lots of people in this country have no idea how lucky they are.

Ah this was BC

The people I know in BC say housing there has become ridiculously expensive.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My aim in life as far as ££ goes is to always earn my age in 000’s

Numbers mean nothing if it’s not enough.

miketually
    Free Member

The UK Living Wage for outside of London is currently £7.65 per hour.

52 * 35 * 7.65 = £13,923

So, outside London, £14k is considered to be what you’d need to live on.

LoCo
    Free Member

One’s a customers the other’s mine…

aston by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

aphex_2k
    Free Member

My basic is 85k + shift allowances (15% for a PM, 50% for a Sat and 75% for nights and Sundays) as a clinical nurse.

Works for me.

(Oh, that’s $AUD by the way!)

GrahamS

Probably true – but again it is totally skewed by super expensive London houses

Yep.

Regional average house prices April to June 2013

According to that the average semi in Greater London will set you back £496,468, in the South East generally £262,716, and up here in t’grim North (of England) £134,028 😀

That’s quite a spread. UK-wide means are useless.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

He said “semi” chortle….

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Love the “I’m going to earn my age each year in 000;s, good luck as you get older, was’nt easy for me at 20 something as when I started in the 70’s average wage was only £4,000 and I was only on £8,000.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Have we found the “holy grail” of “good” yet then?

Lots of folks here on salaries far in excess of what they really need, of course need is subjective and whose to point the finger on that one, but still if I take a straw poll off here it looks like anything above an Ave of £30k.

maxtorque

LoCo – Member
    One’s a customers the other’s mine…

aston by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

That 4door Aston has probably depreciated more than your van is worth just in the time it was parked there. You can decide yourself if you think that is a good use of money or not…….. 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 121 through 139 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘What is considered a 'good' salary?’ is closed to new replies.