• This topic has 43 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What is "business casual"?
  • Kit
    Free Member

Dress code for a conference – presume collar (polo or shirt) and trousers, but not trainers, jeans or t-shirt?

Was thinking of Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops 😉

hammerite
    Free Member

Yeah I’d class that as trousers and shirt.

wwaswas

Was thinking of Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops

maybe some shorts too?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brakes
    Free Member

business smart without the tie and jacket?

big_scot_nanny

depends a bit on the company, but basically I read that as suit, shirt with no tie, maybe no jacket.

Go with cut off jean shorts and a muscle vest. Awesome!

jfletch
    Free Member

I think a jacket would be fine under this context if it’s the winter. No tie though.

scuzz
    Free Member

cheese@4p

It definitely means naked with tie.

binners

Speedo’s, wifebeater, baseball cap. Sorted

lunge

Smart shoes. Chinos, very smart jeans. A shirt maybe with a nice piece of knit wear. A jacket.

Not very exciting but there you go.

binners

or…

Dons attire, obviously

maccruiskeen

The trouble with dress codes is usually even the people suggesting one don’t know what the code is

So you could comply with what they ask for …. and find thats not what they had in mind at all

“casual” in particular is often misunderstood as in the dress code hierarchy the ‘casual’ is relating to not just work attire but state-occation shiny buttons and hats with feathers formal. Even in that diagram with tux, cumabund (sp) and bow tie you’re only semi-formal. So even ‘smart casual’ is a code for occasions that most of us would never find ourselves in. The smartest clothes most people own – that they’d wear for a wedding, a job interview or a court appearance – is still classed as ‘Informal’

There was long thread on here where someone had been invited to a party that was ‘Smart Casual’ and no-one could agree for the OP what that was. People take it to mean ‘wear something clean that doesn’t have holes in’ but its a very specific code and much smarter and much more formal than most people realise.

headfirst
    Free Member

What no picture of Alan Partidge yet?? Come on STW you’re slacking!

footflaps

Shirt + Chinos?

Was thinking of Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops

If West Coast US, that would be about right as long as your beach shorts were very faded and ripped…..

Northwind

If unsure I go suit trousers, smart shirt, no tie. Sometimes a wee bit overdressed but it’s never been under, and it’s a nice easy choice too.

binners

xcgb
    Free Member

Kit
    Free Member

Conference is over 5 days, in Japan. Hoping I can get away with a polo shirt on a couple of days!

tonyg2003

business casual – pretty much suit without tie or chinos, smart shoes and shirt.

Don’t do as the Germans do. Jeans and jacket…..aaaahhh!

ourmaninthenorth

Today my Freedom Dress* comprises jeans, jumper, converse. Am a

*Rather insane name for “dress down”. It does create some interesting combinations – can have suited up IT people, with senior directors in jeans and t-shirt. Completely throws suppliers who all arrive in quits without ties**.

**double twattery dress code.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If West Coast US, that would be about right as long as your beach shorts were very faded and ripped…..

I’m on the West Coast at the moment. Some dreadful tailoring in evidence when people do wear suits! 🙂 Conferences over here tend to be chinos/smart trews and a proper shirt. No trainers, no tie.

Kit, you mention Japan. Is it in Osaka by any chance? 🙂

igrf
    Free Member

tonyg2003 – Member
    business casual – pretty much suit without tie or chinos, smart shoes and shirt.

Don’t do as the Germans do. Jeans and jacket…..aaaahhh!

This.

If you’re in a business that has to mention business casual then it means no tie, that’s about it, in our game where T’s Hoodies, Shorts are the norm they might say smart casual if they hold a meeting in some nobby golf club which then means we have to wear either a shirt usually check with our walk shorts or a polo and maybe actually have to have something on our feet.

edlong
    Free Member

Trousers, shirt (I’d say a properly cut shirt, not a polo) and smart shoes (brogues okay, deck shoes not). Jacket if required by climate but optional.

maccruiskeen

If you’re in a business that has to mention business casual then it means no tie, that’s about it

Business casual is actually pretty casual – not to the point of denim or trainers – but not a lot dressier than that – chinos, short sleeves, polo shirts, patterns all fine. Business Casual is only work wear. Smart Casual is dressier – its for party/social occasions, neater and more showy than work, chinos wouldn’t cut it there.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Trousers, shoes and collar so polos, chinos, etc are acceptable.

But they look very average! Suit, no jacket for me. So essentially smart wool trews, matching shoes, good shirt.

We have this where I work and you have the polo shirt brigade who push the (well it’s got a a collar so it fits the rules) and then you have the people who are taken seriously brigade. The slightly smarter end of the range is the place to occupy for me.

Kit
    Free Member

CFH – close, but no cigar 😉 Will be in Kyoto. As I’m a student I’ll plead poverty if I’m not deemed smart enough 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

this guy has obviously got the shoes wrong for business casual so I’ve included some loafers to go with the tracksuit..

samuri
    Free Member

Look at it this way. If you turn up to a business casual event in a shirt and trousers, you’ll look fine. If you turn up in a polo shirt and trousers, still fine. Suit but no tie? Still fine.

samuri
    Free Member

I’d turn up to any ‘business casual’ event in a suit but no tie by the way.

djglover
    Free Member

labsey
    Free Member

You know what Freddie Mercury wore in the video for I Want To Break Free?

That.

user-removed
    Free Member

Linen shirt to deal with HK humidity, lightweight ‘tweedy’ jacket, lightweight dark brown / charcoal jeans (from M&S or similar) and leather boots.

Or Speedos and bow-tie.

EDIT: oh, and seriously, baggy boxers if you don’t want to come home with crotch rot. That is all.

sas
    Free Member

Is it an academic conference? Will you be trying to impress someone?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’d go with shirt and jumper, chinos or trews.

poly
    Free Member

The smartest clothes most people own – that they’d wear for a wedding, a job interview or a court appearance – is still classed as ‘Informal’

you clearly know nothing about court dress codes… …the regular visitors mostly come in what you describe as “street”.

Bregante

eek. Looking at the chart that maccruiskeen posted. I appear to be very much business casual at work these days.

Kit
    Free Member

Yes. No.

I’m also having a 9 day jolly afterwards so am going with whatever option allows me to recycle my conference wear 🙂

dallas95
    Free Member

Business casual on Charles Thyrwitt.
    http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/mens-shirts/mens-business-casual-shirts?q=gbpdefault|||||||||||||||

Doesn’t look like polos are gonna work.

ourmaninthenorth

Yes. No

Judging by some of the stuff I’ve seen Dr North and her chums wearing to conferences, I’d say anything clean would be a step up from what most people will have on.

naffrider
    Free Member

a mullet

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What is "business casual"?’ is closed to new replies.