Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What is an enduro…
  • david47
    Free Member

I’m a touch confused… I though an enduro was a timed stage based race, such as the PMBA enduro series. However I notice that FOD enduro on the 21 sept is just a race based on completing a set number of laps… And the Gorrick brass monkeys enduro races are a time based race e.g. a 3 hr or 4hr race. (As opposed to their autumn series, which racing based on completing a set number of laps…) And then again, there are the enduros like ’12:12 torq in your sleep’… Which is it ? Is the term evolving and some organisations have not caught up ?

wwaswas

Is the term evolving and some organisations have not caught up ?

possibly. Enduro in the uk has always meant ‘endurance’ not ‘timed down take your time going up’.

There’s goign to be some disappointed folk on 30lb full sus bikes at some of these events, I fear.

bigjim

I AM ENDUROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Northwind

It’s pretty daft tbh, just because they’ve misused the term enduro for a long time isn’t a reason to keep misusing it… All it does is cause confusion which is bad for everyone, why would you do something that’ll put off some entrants and disappoint others?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Just a bimble isn’t it?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

its like a bike ride but fluoro

prefixing with either gravity or xc would make this a lot less confusing.

v666ern
    Free Member

FoD enduro is just a nice bimble…dont take your full face
    I believe the FOD one is from before enduro meant something different to just having a ride up a hill

tsk kids now a days

Northwind

thestabiliser – Member

prefixing with either gravity or xc would make this a lot less confusing.

Gravity Enduro is now trademarked, believe it or not.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

An enduro is that really bright blue (think Klein Blue) or bright green.

sandwicheater

Think if you rub it on children you’ll be told off.

wilburt
    Free Member

Is anyone willing to take a punt at saying what one is ?

Simon
    Jamie
    Free Member

It’s bright.

Simon
    Jason
    Free Member

The same confusion seems to exist in motocross as well. A couple of years ago I accidently ended up in Le Touquet when the annual Le Touquet Enduro was on, it actually turned into a great weekend – despite 1,000’s of bikers camped on every grass verge. The event is 3 hours of riding around a 10mile lap, so just like ‘XC’ Enduro in the UK. That has been going since 1975, so using Enduro for a lap based event isn’t really a new idea.

mattsccm
    Free Member

The Beacons!
    Go and Google it if you are a youngster.

deadkenny
    Free Member
    ton

it is just a excuse for the organisers to rip you off for £65 (or dry bum you) when in actual fact, they could be nice and charge you £30.

or you could just ride in the same area’s on the same trails, bimbling up the hills with your mates, and them blasting down, to see who gets to the bottom 1st……….err a bit like that new enduro…… 😕

deviant
    Free Member

it is just a excuse for the organisers to rip you off for £65 (or dry bum you) when in actual fact, they could be nice and charge you £30.

or you could just ride in the same area’s on the same trails, bimbling up the hills with your mates, and them blasting down, to see who gets to the bottom 1st……….err a bit like that new enduro……

You could extrapolate that attitude to any racing….why bother paying entry fees for DH, just push up with your mates and see who’s the fastest….why bother paying to enter an XC race, just get some local lads together and race round the local fields….why bother joining a roadie club, just ride the roads for free and by yourself…etc etc

It’s a good format, think of it as an event like a rally and you’ve got it, linked stages with a time limit as opposed to being timed and timed (downhill) special stages, lowest cumulative time wins, i’ve done a few and they’re great….the atmosphere at a race is completely different to any ride with mates i’ve been on, thats why people want to do it.

Metasequoia

‘Dyfi Endro- that’s Enduro- anything else is new and fangled.

david47
    Free Member

Think I have got it, it’s a race. Might be round a field, might be timed down but not up. Either way its on a bike 🙂
    Oh, and there is some marketing for some enduro specific bike related stuff, but who knows what sort of style that is aimed at…still, roll the Garrick autumn and winter series 🙂

Northwind

Metasequoia – Member

‘Dyfi Endro- that’s Enduro- anything else is new and fangled.

Even though the other sort of enduro has been around for longer 😉

Superficial
    Free Member

I don’t wear lycra-only on the MTB, but if I did it would definitely be XCR. Normal shorts = XC but I find that if I wear my slightly baggy shorts then I often feel more ‘trail’ than XC TBH. Add in knee pads and you’ve got all mountain but as stated it’s not until you hit fluoro that you can legitimately call it enduro.

Same bike / speed at all times of course.

jam-bo

So stop bitching, put your money where your mouth is and put on an enduro race for £30 a head. Sounds like a bargain. I’m in.

andyrm
    Free Member

Well said Jam Bo! Enduro in its proper sense is the discipline raced in the EWS, Superenduro and French Enduro series for years. The UK somehow misused it to mean endurance type events, which is where the confusion comes in.

Most other countries would call that “marathon”.

jonnouk
    Free Member

Looks like #enduro is off the cards for me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I had a bike with “not for downhill use” on it. I spent ages on it climbing up hills and walking down them.

Then I thought screw it, and took it down Aston Hill. The bike was as tough as a tank. Can’t say the same about myself though.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Dyfi Endro- that’s Enduro- anything else is new and fangled.

That’s a sportive 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What is an enduro…’ is closed to new replies.