Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What iron?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Maybe I should sign up to Mumsnet, but my current iron has turned into a brown, waxy, sludgy mess after a descaling attempt. It’s given me over 6 years service, so I’m thinking about replacing it instead of faffing about with repeated descaling attempts.

Any suggestions? I’ve looked at this fancy contraption:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3807169.htm

carlos
    Free Member

After purchasing one a few weeks back my advice would be –

Check cable length, some are very short
    Check water volume, some only hold a thimble full
    Check Watts, more watts means more steam and easier ironing

Other than that I guess it’s whatever takes your fancy.

Carlos

scruff9252

I dare you to start a thread on mums net along the lines of “I usually frequent a male dominated outdoorsy forum, but I need a new iron so I thought id ask you…”

I bet it’d go down well.

Fwiw last couple of irons I bought were on balanced for highest wattage for reasonable cost. My shirts come out ok….

Slacks
    Free Member

Any old iron. etc

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Hence starting the thread here in the interests of gender equality!

I tried the descaler because little brown spots started to appear on my shirts over time. Do modern irons do away with having to do descaling?

peterfile
    Free Member

I can’t believe I’m going to participate in this thread…but the Phillips Azur GC4890/02 is very hard to beat.

I picked mine up for £40 in Tesco.

scotroutes

I’ve just bought a Bosch TDA5620. It does indeed have an anti-scale feature and is, apparently, the UKs best selling iron.

alanf
    Free Member

The other half has got a steam generator job, It’s like an iron but is attached to a big tank that generates the steam and sends it down a pipe to the iron head.
    Picked it up at Aldi for about £40 and she reckons it’s better than any iron she has used.
    There are some big names that do them but they seem to be mega dollars

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’m only using it for shirts and the occasional trouser/suit jacket so I don’t need a steam generator.

How is the cord length on the Bosch and the Phillips?

peterfile
    Free Member

2.5m for the Phillips.

scotroutes

3.0m for the Bosch

peterfile
    Free Member

Bummer, I just lost at Iron Top Trumps 🙁

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Tilting towards the Bosch! It could be mine before the end of the night!

How good is the anti calc cleaning feature? Used it in anger yet?

EDIT: Also, wouldn’t you rather have a stainless steel plate instead of ceramic? That’s the only thing I’d want to be different.

scotroutes

I used the iron for the first time last night. As far as I can see, the anti-calc feature is two wee plastic balls in the water tank?

I’ve use ceramic sole plates in the past and had no problems. This one has a Palladium surface over ceramic.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Boo!

It’s not some sort of fancy cartridge based thing is it? I have no idea how those work. I’m guessing it’s like a tea tray arrangement?

(Don’t tell me you haven’t read the manual yet!)

cinnamon_girl

Anti-scale/descale features do naff all in my decades of experience. All seem to need replacing after 3 or 4 years, even Bosch top of the range model. Bit like kettles and toasters really.

HTH.

scotroutes

There’s a manual?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Replacing for what reason? My current iron doesn’t have those features, but trying to descale it has just resulted in a huge mess on the iron and the occasional “oopsie” meaning I can never iron a light coloured shirt in peace!

If the descale function will minimise the problem then I’m happy to pay for it really.

I also want a stainless steel plate thingy.

Moon on a stick?

EDIT: someone on the internet is on about using de-ionised water for ironing! Is this what life has come to?

cinnamon_girl

They just stop working! It’s worth bearing in mind that no appliances like hard water and does shorten their life. My non-stick plate is no longer non-stick and can’t remove the gunge no matter what I try.

Years ago I used an appliance descaler and left it overnight to soak but that didn’t work either.

My cynical self reckons that they’re deliberately designed for regular replacement.

Edit cos I just saw your edit: I used to buy ionised water, now just use water from the filter jug. Tap water not been used for, er, 20 years.

Am on my second Bosch.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Maybe I should just buy a nice Rowenta and resign myself to having to replace irons every 6 years.

Don’t like how a £40 iron can ruin a £100 shirt with no warning though!

DezB
    Free Member

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3807169.htm

Yeah, Argos. That’s where I bought mine.

Coming soon on STW –
    Which ironing board cover?
    Recommend me a darning needle
    Tea towels – patterned or plain?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Laurastar :

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb-eXycRUug[/video]

I have that one.

Had a previous model before our hard water killed it, then I had an S4i, then an S4 courtesy of a blip in their service arrangements which meant they swapped the main unit over instead of service it.

The S4 is a lot better – refillable during use, 50psi steam pressure, fan. The S4i had motion detect which I never really used anyway.

John Lewis sell them :

http://www.johnlewis.com/laurastar-s4-ironing-system/p571225

peterfile
    Free Member

£995?

You must taking ironing very seriously 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

You could get a bike for that

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Is this guy for real? 😯

stumpy01

Whatever iron you get, can’t you just buy a bottle of this to use in it, to stop It getting scummed up in the first place? Then you shouldn’t have to worry about de-scaling features…

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-wiper-blades-batteries/car-battery-chargers/halfords-battery-top-up-water-5l

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You must taking ironing very seriously

hate ironing so bought one of those to get it over with quickly 🙂

Wife said that she would contest me for it if we ever split…

robdob
    Free Member

I think the day you ask advice on a cycling forum about what iron you should buy is the day you need to have a long hard look at yourself and figure out what went wrong….. 😉

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong. If I had the money and the space then I’d have one of those contraptions too….

…along with someone to iron my clothes in it!

Pretty impressive gadget.

Not sure what point you’re making robdob, threads you’ve started include asking for advice on mobile phone contracts and timber moisture levels? 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Touché! 😉

fishonabike
    Free Member

Life is too short for ironing, let along spending time deciding which iron to buy. Hang your shirts up on hangers to dry and they’ll be fine, and everything else will be fine no matter how you dry it. No one has ever come up to me and said me, my children or my husband are looking particularly crushed and that they are offended by our lack of ironing. The world will not end if you give up ironing. Take the broken iron as a sign and cease this ridiculous activity.

DezB
    Free Member

threads you’ve started include asking for advice on mobile phone contracts and timber moisture levels?

..and Dire Straits 😆 😉

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Life is too short for ironing

But what will I do in the time slot allocated to me between brushing teeth and getting dressed instead?

andyl
    Free Member

£995 for an iron! Just pay someone to do it for you, pretty sure our cleaner does ironing too but I’ve been banned from asking her and told to iron my own shirts 🙁

ads678

I’ve also got the Phillips Azur, basically cos it was black so I thought it was cool!! I think it’s a great iron and had this confirmed when my mum used it a few weeks back and commented on how good it was!!

If the mum of a 38 year old man says an iron is good, it’s good!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What iron?’ is closed to new replies.