Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What Ipod Car Adaptor?
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Sick of my FM transmitter so want a hard-wired solution. I have a VW golf with standard radio so I believe I can plug into the CD changer port.

Been looking at the Xcarlink – any others people would recommend?

simon_g

I've got a DICE one in my Civic.

At the time it was the only one that allowed you to unlock the controls on the unit (so it can be connected but the screen and controls work as normal), lots of others require you to have special playlists that you set up which correspond to the CD changer disc numbers. The DICE has a 3.5mm input too which is handy for roadtrips with people that have non-Apple stuff. Been very happy with it, track skips from steering wheel controls still work and it pauses the music/podcast when a call or traffic report comes along.

I think others (including xcarlink) offer just the same functionality now though.

Drac

Does your Golf have the multi-media plug? If so you can get an apdater for that, that's what I use.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Not sure about the multi-media plug – its just the bog standard radio (300 version I think) that came with the 1.6 FSI Golf V (2004 model).

Read good and bad things about the Xcarlink.

Drac

Probably not have one then none of my Mk V GTs had one.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I looked at all of those and concluded that a new headunit was the better solution. Lots around with iPod control and bluetooth for the phone built in.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Is that not more expensive? Not sure an after market radio would look right to be honest.

The DICE unit is looking favourite at the moment.

simon_g

I've had aftermarket headunits and the ipod control can be great – especially if you hide the ipod away in the glovebox and just do all your control via the HU.

However – none look as clean as OE units, you have to faff about putting the face back on every time you drive, and someone will still smash your window for it on the chance that the fascia (and ipod) are sat in the glovebox.

richcc
    Free Member

I got a Dension gateway kit and active cradle from an outfit called incaripodkit (iirc – google will help). A bit pricey but works perfectly. Put it in my 56 golf plus with (I think) same stereo as you rcd300

alfabus
    Free Member

I've got an xcarlink in my A4… works really well with my iPhone (although it does get a fair bit of interference from GSM signals and when using tomtom – shouldn't be a problem with iPod)

Really easy to fit (if you're not a numpty), plugs into the CD changer socket on the back of your OEM head unit and one wire pokes out from whereever you can route it to – this plugs into your iPod, charging it and getting the audio.

Because it pretends to be a CD changer it integrates with the head unit controls, and with the buttons on my steering wheel.

When you change CDs, it changes to different playlists stored on your iPod, or if you put it to CD1 it lets you choose music on the iPod itself.

Sound quality is perfect. charging works perfectly. Very neat installation, all hidden behind the head unit, with one wire visible (or hidden in glove box)

Hope this helps,
    Dave

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What Ipod Car Adaptor?’ is closed to new replies.