Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What iphone app for tracking ride and run distances
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

Want to track my ride and run distances on my phone. Which is the best app for this.

goldfish24

I really like cyclemeter.

You can track your rides or runs, and label them as specific routes and cycle or run, which allows you to compare one days attempt against another.

For example, I keep my commute route stored and a couple of weekend routes. When I get home they get added to y calendar and I get a little green arrow for above average, red for below, or yellow for just fine. Then you can get stats like miles done this week, average speed etc.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Endomondo seems pretty cool; automatic upload to the website, online community where you can challenge friends etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ianpinder
    Free Member

Nice, does the gps work when inside your backpack, or the phone is in your pocket

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I like Endomondo. Had a couple of issues with it not tracking when the phone is in my hip pocket (i suspect my spare tyre was blocking the signal), but in a backpack or chest pocket, it’s been fine.

Jamie
    Free Member

As a man of means Ian, I would suggest getting something like a Garmin 310XT or Forerunner series GPS watch. They will be much more accurate than the iPhone and give better battery life.

This is speaking from experience as used to use my iPhone 3GS for logging, but kept getting inaccurate spikes. Also this way I know if I need to make a phone call I will actually have some battery life to do so 😉

…if you do decide to stick to the iPhone then go for Cyclemeter as it is very fully featured and has the option for different exercises if you want to use it for running etc.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Well I’ve decided against a gps unit, I would only be happy with the 800….. but i’m travelling in september so need to save my money (please don’t remind me of this when I post a pic of my nicolai in a months time with a few upgrades)

so for the time being i am going to stick with my iphone, whilst not perfect i’m sure it will be adequate, I am prepaired for the drop in battery life too…..

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I use Endomondo to track my MTBing, commute to work (if I’m bored) and walking etc and I’ve never had an issue with losing the signal etc

It’s great – download the app and give it a try!

niallmb
    Free Member

another vote for endomondo. loads of different exercise types and you can even get it to tell you your mile times if you’re being anti social and have earphones in.

Its also nice to be able to access all of your workouts online and compare stuff

edited s there were to many ‘mo’s’ in endomondo

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

I’ve found EveryTrail quite good. Another free app that works for many different sports.

Has anyone used one of the apps with a HR monitor? Endomondo seems to be able to do it. I’d quite like something compatible with my exisiting Polar setup.

john_l
    Free Member

Might have a look at Endomondo if it’s Polar compatible?

Using Runmeter at the moment which seems to work just fine in jersey pocket.

Drac

Cyclemeter really is the shiz.

dyls

I use SprintGPS, can track your run, cycle and walking. It will plot it onto a map and you can race against a ghost (prevoius) activity – good for running with headphones off road.

beardie
    Free Member

+ 1 for endomondo, have’nt used my gps(garmin 60cx)for yonks

takisawa2

Endomondo is good, but take the distances it records with a pinch of salt. It’s varied by up to a mile for my regular running route.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What iphone app for tracking ride and run distances’ is closed to new replies.