Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What inner gear cable for rear mech?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

about 3 months ago i put in a clarks 1.99 rear cable as i got a new set of shifters and cut the cable to short measuring up again my front mech one 😳 so as i needed one that day rushed to halfords and bought a clarks one for about 1.99…..

last night after 3 months my gears started jumpingfor no aparaent reason, then when i shifted to top gear to climb, snap the rear cable frayed and snapped leaving me to climb 1500ft in 9th gear! ouch!

i dont really want to risk that again as it was quite a painful ride home, so id like something stronger and something thats gonna endure peak winter!

is xtr the way to go really?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

teflon covered tandem ones are cheap on ebay

cp

shimano ones are a couple of quid from Merlin – quick free delivery as well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any links to the specific ones? typing that in ebay and even merlin throws up tonnes 🙁

tablesalt
    Free Member

shimano, stay away from Clark’s stuff it sucks and blows at the same time

tony24
    Free Member

Jagwire teflon coated are a couple of quid on ebay use them all the time

ruscle
    Free Member

I got power cordz, really light and slick shifting and they are non stretch, a little pricey but you get what you pay for.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Shimano XTR.

Extruded (smoothed), coated (low friction), pre-stretched

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

stupid question – with the xtr one, does it mean it shouldnt stretch after initial period, hence shouldnt really have to sort gearing out again once they are done the first time?

MartynS

got to be honest… I use inners and outers from Decathlon. Never snapped one, seem to last a long time, just changed the rear today, can’t remember when I last did it.
    Was told that the teflon sealed all singing all dancing cables weren’t really worth it.

Drac

I use cheapy bulk ones from eBay and never had any problems. You could spend more on gimmicky pre-stretched ones I suppose.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d not bother with XTR ones, just get the ‘normal’ Shimano inners, they’re 1/3 the price!

I’ve used Power Cordz and was very disappointed, just didn’t last, the coating was too thin.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

what are the standard shimano inners then? do they have a product code name/number?

thetabber
    Free Member

Wilkinson’s have cables for 99p, work well for me.

IanW
    Free Member

Whats so wrong with the clarkes jobbies?

Halfords are selling a couple of metres of outer, with inner sleeve and two teflon coated inners all the bits and bobs for £8.99.

Even call them XT alike.

What about them is that bad?

konadad
    Free Member

+1 for wilko cables.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What inner gear cable for rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts