Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What inexpensive speedo/mileometer type thing?
  • rascal
    Free Member

I must admit I haven’t even looked at the options, but I’m after a fairly basic bike computer that logs max speed/average speed/odometer/trip computer – nothing too fancy.
    It’s going on a new carbon road bike so would rather not have wires wrapped around the fork leg so thinking wireless. I’ve heard they’re not as reliable though as the signal can drop out – true?

Any pointers greatly appreciated…cheers.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Asda do a couple of Bell versions for very little pennies

tomkerton
    Free Member

Garmin Edge 200 does everything you want. £75ish. GPS unit so no wires. Doesn’t drop out and seems perfectly accurate. Analyse the ride using the Garmin software or Strava.

project
    Free Member

Lidl monday bike computers a fiver, sell out quick but great value, also have a temperature gauge built in

aracer
    Free Member

It’s going on a new carbon road bike so would rather not have wires wrapped around the fork leg so thinking wireless.

Wire run straight down back of fork leg, held on with electrical tape. Pretty much un-noticeable. Wired far less hassle than wireless.

sing1etrack

My wireless Lidl’s been faultless. Never had signal drop off. No need for anything more expensive IMO. Wired version in on Monday as project says – just do what aracer said. Upgrade to wireless when they come round if the wire bothers you – they’ll be in within a couple of months.

carlphillips
    Free Member

use your phone, then upload to strava

jambalaya
    Free Member

@rascal your smart phone is very good at this with the exception of max speed which is unreliable.

stumpy01

Cycle Surgery have got a sale on Bryton GPS computers. They might have something suitable for less than the Garmin Edge stuff.

kjcc25
    Free Member

I have a Lidl bike computer and I’ve found it totally useless. It switches off every time you stop and does not restart automatically when you set off again. The result is much of your ride info is missing. Those of you who like it have you come across this problem?

I also have a Cateye which I have found to be very good.

onandon
    Free Member

Can’t you just use a smart phone with an armband or bar mount?

timba
    Free Member
    sing1etrack

kjcc25 – yes and no – it goes into standby after 5mins of inactivity, so only if you’re stopping for a break, not at every set of lights. Admittedly mine’s on my commuter so so I tend not to stop for breaks so don’t find it an issue!

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.
    I’ve got off my arse and done a little bit of research and gone for this…

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/cateye-velo-7-cycle-computer-p213025

Seems to have everything I need, gets loads of great reviews and is a tenner (£18 at CRC).
    Picking up and fitting today, first ride tomorrow 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What inexpensive speedo/mileometer type thing?’ is closed to new replies.