• This topic has 18 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by JCL.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What in god's name have I done to my forks?
  • SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I have a set of 5 year old Pike 454s. They’re dual air, non u-turn and have been serviced just 6 months ago.

I was riding yesterday in’t snow at Dalbeattie and there were strange things afoot- the fork wouild compress very easily, then bottom out horrendously, a real “clung” noise as it reached the bottom of the stroke. HOwever, it was bottoming out between 1-2″ above where it normally would, so it bottomed at about 3″ travel and then wouldn’t return properly.

My SIDs that my mate was borrowing, unserviced for 2 years, behaved perfectly.

What’ve I broken? Is it new forks time?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

sounds like a seal has gone luke on the rebound circuit. Loco off here will sort you if you email him. If it is a seal its a home fix and piss to do. I could do it for you if you are around over xmas?

singlespeedstu

Sounds like a seal to me too.

Bet it’s dumped oil into the lower leg causing the early bottom out symptom.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I’ll be able to fix it myself I reckon, it’s not like Rock Shox are complicated inside. So long’s I’ve not snapped owt it’ll be a good excuse to buy some circlip pliers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As they say. Dead easy fix

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Definetely a seal,Sounds like the main piston seal

psychle
    Free Member

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Ha HA like that

Blower
    Free Member

Who’s Loco ?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

fork tuning dude off here

Blower
    Free Member

you got his email or contact info?

need my forks sorting.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

seach? Profile?

http://www.locotuning.co.uk
    info@locotuning.co.uk

He talks a lot of sense

Blower
    Free Member

cheers tj.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

What forks you on Blower? If it’s RS just do ’em yourself, it’s really really easy.

Blower
    Free Member

Marzocchi 55’s want em converted to coil,shite forks indeed.

Blower
    Free Member

ive got some pikes 4 years old like yours still going strong. 🙂

Trekster

Blower – Member
    Marzocchi 55’s want em converted to coil,shite forks indeed.

Try Elliot Campbell @ the bike shop in Innerleithen(not Alpine, `tother one) He used to work for Marz

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Ah, yeah, I had mine swapped to coil because they were rubbish. Again, a simple job but you’ll need the bits.

JCL
    Free Member

You’ve blown the dampers lower O-Ring causing hydrolock. Order oil, O-Ring kit and follow the rebuild instructions on the Sram site.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What in god's name have I done to my forks?’ is closed to new replies.