Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What Hymns for a wedding?
  • steve-g
    Free Member

Ok, so we have to tell the vicar by Thursday what hymns we want played at the wedding. Absolutely no idea, can anyone recommend some stuff so I can google it when I get home tonight and make the decision.

Cheers
    Steve

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

are you looking for traditional hymns, or more contemporary stuff?

A lot of couples tend to look for music that fits a theme for them, or something about the values they want to try to live by as a couple – don't know if that helps in any way?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

'shine jesus shine' – its nice and happy!

the old faithful is 'all things bright and beautiful'

one of my faves (lovely tune) 'lord of all hopefulness, lord of all joy'

very jolly and very 60's 'lord of the dance'

or…

http://www.hymnlyrics.org/

Flaperon

"In the Garden of Eden" by "I. Ron Butterfly".

VanHalen

angel of death – slayer. might be tricky for the organist tho.

xc-steve
    Free Member

We had:
    be thou my vision
    in christ alone
    Amazing grace – (Chains fell off REMIX)
    and Whilst we signed that thing had over the mountains and the seas going…

Although being Christian (SHOCK HOORROR ON STW!) they where meaningful but if your not Christian I don't understand the point in having any?!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

The Wedding Presents's 'Bizarro' in it's entirety.

BenjiM

Not to be funny but having a church wedding would surely involve knowing some hymns from actually previously going to church? Or are you newly converted so to speak (serious question by the way)

We had,

Colours of Day
    Shine Jesus Shine
    Give me joy in my heart

5th August this year.

My Mrs came in to the bridal march and we left to Canon in D.

And while we signed the register we had a friend sing 9 million bicycles in the garage!

kimbers

as benji says, surely in your weekly trip to worship at the house of good you must have picked up a few favourites over the years

tiger_roach
    Free Member

If you and people coming aren't regulars then pick some that most people might know.

I went to a Catholic wedding years ago and the hymns were picked by the priest – really boring ones; pick some with a bit of life.

leffeboy

In this case the BBC is your friend:

The Top Ten Hymns

1 – How Great Thou Art
    2 – Dear Lord and Father of Mankind Tune: Repton
    3 – The Day Thou Gavest Tune: St. Clement
    4 – Be Thou My Vision Tune: Slane
    5 – Love Divine, All Loves Excelling Tune: Blaenwern
    6 – Be Still, For The Presence Of The Lord Tune: Be Still
    7 – Make Me A Channel
    8 – Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer Tune: Cwm Rhondda
    9 – In Christ Alone
    10 – Shine, Jesus, Shine

Some classics in there…

Cougar

If you and people coming aren't regulars then pick some that most people might know.

+1

If you must indulge in a spot of prenuptual praising, I'd suggest picking songs that people are likely to know. I went to a close friend's wedding relatively recently, and whilst half the congregation cheerfully burst into 'god is my lawnmower' or whatever, the other half stood around nodding and exchanging uncomfortable glances.

Cougar

(personally, I'd be asking if he had any Metallica)

BenjiM

Angel of death got vetoed by the missus for the night do and the DJ did his own thing after the first 3 songs. Never put my Guns n Roses on :(. Shame since we'd given him a list of about 7 tracks that we definitely wanted.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I'd recommend "it aint me babe" by bob dylan

steve-g
    Free Member

We have been going to church for about 6 months, since the littleuns christening. the hymns that I like are not really about weddings if that makes sense.

At the reception the first dance is set to be – You are the best thing, by Ray Lamontagne. Comedy ideas such as – Yesterday, – Please release me, etc were all vetoed

VanHalen

no one is there for you (apart from maybe your mum) – all they want is free champagne, a chat and some nosebag. to keep them interested you will need to either a) do something different or b) keep it short and sweet. they will appreciate you more.

carbon337
    Free Member

+1 Colours of day and Give me joy in my heart – we had them although nobody sang them apart from organist and some old aunties.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What Hymns for a wedding?’ is closed to new replies.