Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • What hydration 'pack' for running?
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’ve started running further and have entered an off road 1/2 marathon in July so I need to start running with hydration. I previously bought a belt which had a clip but I didn’t get on with it, I was looking at something like this:
    http://www.startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=3709,3839&CAT_ID=3768&P_ID=38527

as it has velcro I just wondered if you can get it better tightness?

What do you use? can you recommend something?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I thought this looked awesome… but it ain’t cheap.

FuelBelt seems to be the name for the sort of thing that you’re looking at.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Looks like a climbing harnass at that angle! I want something that isn;t going to bounce up and down, I don’t mind spending a little bit more if it’s good!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Munqe-chick
    Free Member

TSY you going to do Banbury Stinger tri? I just entered today :-/

**** me just found that Salamon pack on wiggle …. mmmm maybe not!!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I guess anything tight enough won’t bounce, anything light enough won’t bounce much either. I just use a cheap hydration pack.

Is it clear that drinking in events this duration is necessary performance wise?

emsz
    Free Member

munque I use one like that I got from Sports direct, I find best to let them settle on your hips, and then tighten it a bit. That one looks comfy.

Does the race not have water stops? I always prefer not to have to wear the bottles if I don’t have to.

IHN

The better half uses my old Camelbak Rogue with a 2l bladder for marathons and half marathons, she finds it fine.

It’s really old, the current model is bigger with more pockets, but it’s basically one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=57087

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

This looks quite good, as a bigger pocket to put phone in?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/salomon-xr-energy-belt/

emsz
    Free Member

Hasn’t got a great review 😕

Edit, has anyone ever tried those tees that have a bladder built in?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

50m outdoor pool in Banbury… interesting, very interesting.

Swimming lakes are all go at the moment, if not a little cold still.

finbar
    Free Member

Is it clear that drinking in events this duration is necessary performance wise?

I imagine it’s strongly dependent on how long you take, whether you’re a heavy sweater, and how hot it is.

Psychologically, it probably helps a lot if you’re not used to being thirsty.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Emsz it’s more also training I have been thinking about it! I’m someone who drinks a lot anyway, I easily drink 3 litres of water, so I know some people say oh 7 miles you don’t need to drink but I struggle by the end, even just small sips of water.

cynic-al it depends on length of time of sport anything over 2 hours then yes and you should be taking on carbohydrate type fluid really (for longer events). Plus everyone’s body is different, I get de-hydrated very easily and mild dehydration for me is really bad.

jota180
    Free Member

Raidlight do some nice looking packs

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Wouldnt wearing a pack make you dehydrate even quicker as you sweat more?

Is there an element of training yourself not to need a drink?

IHN

Plus everyone’s body is different, I get de-hydrated very easily and mild dehydration for me is really bad.

Are you sure you’re not my better half? 😉

That’s why she likes the camelbak, she knows she got plenty to drink whenever she needs it. Never complains about it bouncing around. And, believe me, she would…

theteaboy
    Free Member

I use an OMM waist pouch 3 to carry body cover/ food/ drink when fell running. Bit of a squeeze in winter but it all fits in there and the compression straps mean that it doesn’t bounce much. I’m really impressed with it.

For drinks I re-use capri sun pouches (skinflint, I know!) They take up the minimum amount of space when full and fold down to nothing when empty so there’s no extra bulk.

I tend not to drink anything on runs up to 90mins unless it’s hot.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye MC I realise the dehydration but but wondered if it mattered on a half – depends on the time I and individual factors as you say.

Def helps with recovery. I drank way too much on my first mara tho, and don’t bother at all on training runs < halves.

emsz
    Free Member

IHN how tall is your partner? thing is, some of the camelbacks are really long, and if your a short arse (i’m only 160cm) they can be umcomfy, and rub in the small of your back. and things can get a little tight, sports bras are tight enough without having to wear another pack that’s done up tight as well.

munque if it’s training, I’ve left bottles in hedges and wotnot before. If you’ve got a partner, it’s easy to get them to drop you a distance away, and then drop the bottles off on your route.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I guess yes it’s something I can train for a bit, I guess being hydrated to start with is key! But I guess it would be nice to have that security whilst practicing! That’s also why I was lookingat 500ml or carrying something like that, rather than a 3l bladder! I’m not planning on taking that long …..

IHN

Her indoors is 5’6″ ish. Short torso for her height though.

Just ‘cos the bladder’s got a 3 (or 2) litre capacity, doesn’t mean you have to fill it. It’s more about the comfort of carrying the fluid, however much fluid you want.

[edit]and training to need to drink less sounds dodgy. You need to drink how much you need to drink (but, as you say, being fully hydrated at the start is key)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

For HM and training I would

stever
    Free Member

Same as teaboy, OMM bumbag with a 500ml squashy bottle. I’ve used capri suns too, but you have to drink it all at once. Bumbag is more minimal than a pack, but you need to stop to drink. Not a problem on training runs, but more faff in a race. I’ve got an OMM 15l sac for long days, but the temptation is always to take more than you need if you’ve got space. Really stable and comfy though.

Check what stops you’ve got en route. I did a 34 miler this weekend and there were enough stops I could have managed without the bottle if needed.

molgrips
    Free Member

You know Camelbak do women specific backpacks, don’t you? Lots shorter than the men’s. And they also do running packs/belts.

emsz
    Free Member

You would what, THM?

I did a 34 miler this weekend

😯 Really?!?! how was it, tell me ALL about it. I was thinking of doing a 30mile thing in the autumn, but my recent longer long runs (just done two 20 milers) have been a bit crap, so I’m having second thoughts

how much training did you do? do you run that distance all the time? what did you eat? did you get cramps? did you need to poo?

surfer
    Free Member

OMM bumbag with a 500ml squashy bottle

I race with a bum bag (FRA requiremnt), no drinks. Longer days out I may take a squishy bottle so you can squeeze the air out and it doesnt slosh about.

Thats for 3-4 hrs plus though. Theres no need to drink for up to a couple of hours in my opinion even if it is warm as long as you are hydrated before. I used to run upwards of 17 miles every Sunday at pace with a good group and nobody felt the need to bring a bag or drink, no ipods either!
    Cant run down the road now without people with bottles and big ipods!

theteaboy
    Free Member

Actually, I’ll qualify what I said earlier. If I’m on familiar ground I often don’t take anything as I know where the springs/ clean streams are.

Carrying kit (outside races) depends on the area too – I tend to run on my own and in the Lakes I’ll usually carry windproofs. On Ilkley Moor I won’t. Risk assessment innit.

stever – Capri suns have changed since I had them in my school lunch box: they now make screw cap ones!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I use a Camelbak Delaney Fit if I know I’ll be out for over 1.5hrs. It comes with a Podium bottle, which is the best bottle I have used (bike/run/tri etc).

Carries the bottle, plus has a small pocket for keys, gels, phone etc.

Using water stations is fine in a race, but I keep running and end up with a plastic cup full of water up my nose. A bottle means I get to drink rather than snort.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mary how do you find it then? I was looking at velcro ones as I thought you can probably get a better fit whereas with the clip belt I tried previously it loosened then bounced up and down and was very annoying. I quite like the Salomon one I found and posted earlier… I guess I can try it and return if rubbish wiggle are good like that. I have previously tried Camelbaks but they bounce up and down i found.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sorry emsz and munge-chic, bit of IT blip there!!

Basic point – suprised that need anything more than waist belt, if that, for HM. But I have trained and raced (a bit longer) with Lowe Alpine waistbelt. Holds 2 bottles and room for snacks. In races, have used much simpler SIS gel belt and taken water from feed stations. You probably know this but gel belts tend to only support specific gels, other makes fall out as I found to my cost on first HM, leaving gels down the street.

For training and longer runs (and given 2-3l comments) then you are talking sacs. I would recommend any of the following – North Face (I use), Raidlight (I would like to use), OMM (solid and v popular), Innov8 (care with straps rubbing and sweat (for men!) soaking into the bag. Most ultras are dominated by RL, OMM and IV8 in my experience. The key is to find what suits best. I like the look of the Salomon and esp the Haglofs AR sacs, but fit if the key as always.

The Salomon vest above looks good but seems to fall between needs IMO. Not enough storage for long event (esp if min kit list included) but too much and too expensive for short stuff. Great design otherwise though.

p.s. just reread thread and steves comments on bumbag. Not sure why you have to stop. Just reach round and/or swivvle it round and drink on the go. But I am a run/walk guy on ultras and training so tend to drink during walk breaks.

molgrips
    Free Member

I guess I can try it and return if rubbish wiggle are good like that.

Distance selling regulations. You can return anything within so many days, I forget the number, without any quibble. It’s cos you can’t see it before you buy.

The one thing that puts me off running with a camelbak on my back is that whenever I run with a rucksack or anything on my back it makes my shirt ride up constantly.

speed12
    Free Member

Camelbak Octane LR for me – the bladder is on your hips rather than back so it doesn’t slosh up and down, but it’s much more comfortable than a pure hip belt. Comfy, light, wicks well and you can stuff a wind proof or whatever in it

stever
    Free Member

I was thinking of doing a 30mile thing in the autumn, but my recent longer long runs (just done two 20 milers) have been a bit crap, so I’m having second thoughts

Go for it. You do the crap 20 milers so you can have a good run on the day. I’m strictly a bodger over that distance. Since Feb I’ve done a 1.5-2h run about 2 out of 3 w/e. A couple of 3h, one 4h run I think. Hill reps, back to back longer ones help. But I don’t really have the time to bang out 50 mile training weeks. It’s all doable. I’m pretty cautious and really hang back early – still passing plenty later on. Proper fit people are racing hard all the way, but it still got me a top 15% type finish.

Mix of real food and techno gels/beans. Still trying different things. Go on, have a go 🙂

stever
    Free Member

p.s. just reread thread and steves comments on bumbag. Not sure why you have to stop. Just reach round and/or swivvle it round and drink on the go. But I am a run/walk guy on ultras and training so tend to drink during walk breaks.

Yep, that’s what I meant really. Drinking on hills and take a little walk break.

stever
    Free Member

stever – Capri suns have changed since I had them in my school lunch box: they now make screw cap ones!

You’re right! Thanks for reminding me. Used to get lucozade isotonic in those same pouches but they seem to have gone now.

woffle
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned Aarn yet? I use a 22l marathon ultralight daily for the station runs – sounds like more space than you need but it’s far and away the best pack I’ve used to run in (tried the usual suspects and OMM too). the front “balance” pouches are ace for water etc. They’re hydration bladder friendly to.

Not cheap though. And irritatingly you need to buya dry bag for the ultraliights as they’re not waterproof.

molgrips
    Free Member

And irritatingly you need to buya dry bag for the ultraliights as they’re not waterproof

Very light weight, too.

Macgyver

Either a camelbak flash flow hip pack or a salomon octane XCT rucksack for me on longer runs. Either works quite well and the hip pack is pretty stable and frees up your shoulders nicely. Holds a litre and a half of juice which is plenty. Can lend you one if you want to try it out before plunking up the cash to buy one. When’s crashtestmonkey next on duty as he could pick it up then. That or at the bike race Tuesday night

woffle
    Free Member

And irritatingly you need to buya dry bag for the ultraliights as they’re not waterproof

Very light weight, too.

Not sure if you’ve noticed but carrier bags have holes in them 🙂 Learnt that the hard way, even with 2 together, nicely tied. Soggy paperwork after a 7.5 mile run in torrential rain.

Alpkit’s are about £5 so it’s nothing major. The larger / non-ultralight Aarn’s come with a removable dry bag (I actually think they’ve got a patent on it bizarrely)

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘What hydration 'pack' for running?’ is closed to new replies.