Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What hydration pack?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

After new one, just wondering if anyone has any recommendation

Ta.

Bregante

Really impressed with my osprey somethingorother*. I’ve had Dakine nomad and Camelbak Mule but neither have been as comfy or well laid out as the osprey.

* possibly a talon? It’s peeing down and I’m warm and cosy so won’t be going into the garage. Sorry.

kiwijohn

dakine drafter. Just big enough for a big day out, but not too big for a quick blast.

jonnyrockymountain

Osprey viper 10

darkslider
    Free Member

Can recommend my Gelert one as a cheap option, my 1.5 litre was £12 in a local outdoor shop but are similar money on Ebay, 2 litre one is a bit more at £16. Well made, sturdy zips and good straps and the bladder is good with a camelbak style bite valve and on/off lever.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can you be any more specific? (Or could you be any less 😉 ?)

Madison are doing a number of Hydrapaks cheap (40% off or so?) at the mo. though their website will only show RRPs I’d think.

singlespeedstu

Camelbak Volt LR.

Same idea as a Wingnut.
    Sits low on your back, stores the water down low so you don’t feel the weight and doesn’t move about/try and overtake you on steep stuff.

It also has the added benifit that being a Camelbak it shouldn’t fall apart like the Wingnut tends to.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Wingnut. Once you have used one you can’t go back…

Less sweaty back, more stable, easy pocket access for food and tools, lower centre of gravity.

Bregante

Okay, I’ve been out to check and mine is an Osprey Raptor 10.

Like this

So good that I’ve got my slippers wet just to recommend it to an Internet stranger.

singlespeedstu

boriselbrus – Member

Wingnut. Once you have used one you can’t go back…

See my post above yours.
    That comes from someone that’s had three Wingnuts. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Are wing-nuts any different to bumbags from the 80s?

Sweaty lower back, discomfort of all the weight on the stomach strap?

singlespeedstu

Are wing-nuts any different to bumbags from the 80s?

Yes.

They’re not purple. 😆

boriselbrus
    Free Member

No, totally different to a bumbag. The weight is still on your shoulders, but your upper back is exposed so stays nice and cool.

SOAP
    Free Member

Mule NV is the best pack I’ve owned.
    Pros
    3lt
    Good storage
    Good air flow
    Good overflow
    Stays put
    Compression straps work well
    Waterproof cover
    Hip pockets for gels
    Cons
    Little bit heavy but just mtfu

sambob
    Free Member

Love my Evoc CC16, very comfy and well laid out, no bladder included though.

bigblackshed

Dakine Amp 18.

A little big, 12 would be better.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Camelbak Volt LR.

Same idea as a Wingnut.
    Sits low on your back, stores the water down low so you don’t feel the weight and doesn’t move about/try and overtake you on steep stuff.

It also has the added benifit that being a Camelbak it shouldn’t fall apart like the Wingnut tends to.

Having owned both I’d argue quite the contrary… 😉

Wingnuts are great bits of kit. The Camelbaks look good too, especially as the res folds round the body.

andeh

I really like Dakine bags, I’ve got a Session(?) For short blasts and a Nomad for longer days. Lots of folks complain about the Hydrapak bladders they come with, though I’ve never had an issue with them.

skids
    Free Member

Deuter have some good ones

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I like quite a big pack and got a Dakine Nomad ( i think) 18 L pack with a 3 L bladder. The bladder is a really good design too, easier to fill and clean then the camel back i had. Find it very comfy to use get loads in it lots of pockets etc,
    was half price in a sale.

singlespeedstu

Having owned both I’d argue quite the contrary…

That’s interesting seen as the Vault has only been available for a couple of weeks. 😆

You’re getting your volts and your charges mixed up there.

BTW.
    If anyone wants to buy a Wingnut that’s only been used a couple of times feel free to email me. (warranty replacement)

stayhigh

So good that I’ve got my slippers wet just to recommend it to an Internet stranger.

Surely a euphemism waiting to happen lol 😛

andypaul99
    Free Member

My deuter race is 6 years old now and although its a bit grubby there are no splits or wear. In contrast I’ve had to stitch my 4 year old camelback up several times. When I replace the deuter it will be with another deuter

argoose
    Free Member

Hydrapak big sur

Mackem

Osprey Viper doing the biz for me. Very impressed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had settled on an osprey zealot 10, popped up to alpine bikes to pick one up, and it appears that you don’t get a reservoir with it? Wtf? 63 quid (rrp 70) and another 28 for a reservoir. I quickly stepped away.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Have an Ergon BD1 I got 2nd hand off someone on here. It sits nicely and having the weight carried lower on the back is a revelation to me. The design keeps the pack from sitting against my back too, which is nice.

Its probably too heavy for any weight weenies though due to the frame.

Have used much Osprey stuff in the past, mostly for winter stuff, and can’t rate them enough in terms of functionality and durability.

Del

just got an osprey talon lumber ( aka bum ) pack. 8L, no bladder, getting on for 35 quid. seems nicely made. had a wingnut for 3 years. zips starting to go, hole in the bottom of one pocket. good design, poor execution IMO, and too pricey. YMMV.

backinireland
    Free Member

I use several.

Everyone giving recommendations here and it depends on how long you are out for.

How many litres of fluid do you need and how much kit do you need to carry?

A 1 hour spin is totally different to a full day out in the hills

ratadog

Love my Evoc CC16, very comfy and well laid out, no bladder included though.

+1

Best compromise I have found so far and showing little wear after a year of use 2-3 times per week. I had a spare camelback bladder so simply used that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just got the mule nv not tested yet but ticks all the boxes. My last camelback lasted 6 years no problems so no issue with a higher purchase price as will end up cheaper in the long run

sambob
    Free Member

I can’t believe I waited so long before getting something with an organised pocket, knowing exactly where stuff is is a revelation.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What hydration pack?’ is closed to new replies.