Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What hub/rim combination are you using for your light weight XC race bike?
  • composite
    Free Member

As the title asks. 🙂

schmiken

Not super light but very reliable Pro2 fronts with WTB rear.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Stans mmx rims and a2z hubs Dt rev spokes
    Can’t remember actual weight but they are very light

gee
    Free Member

Chris King on various sizes of Stans Crest.

Currently building a set of Kings on Light Bicycle carbon 650b rims from China. Rims due next week but they get great reviews on MTBR.

King hubs as they just last forever. Freehub reliability is key for me on an XC race bike. I’ve also used DT240s as they also last forever. For a cheaper option I have a set of Halo XCD hubs which for the price have lasted really well.

GB

aracer
    Free Member

Stans Olympic on Tune King/Kong. Completely overshadowed by newer offerings, but when I got them about the lightest wheels you could get without paying silly money (they were cheaper than XTR wheels).

Stevo210
    Free Member

Stans podium MMX rims, Sapim C-Xray spokes with American Classic Hubs is a good combo.
    I run a Crest rim as I cant pick a line to save my life and plough through everything with D-Light spokes – 1370gms built

Can easily get in the 1200’s though.

maxtorque

Boggo set of Mavic SLR’s on my XC bike. Only thing not to like about them is the price 😉

gee
    Free Member

…and the snapping spokes that are a nightmare to buy and replace…

GB

njee20
    Free Member

Stans mmx rims and a2z hubs Dt rev spokes
    Can’t remember actual weight but they are very light

Me too, 1246g.

Boggo set of Mavic SLR’s on my XC bike. Only thing not to like about them is the price

And the reliability as Gee said, plus the prohibitive cost of a new rim, plus the fact they’re significantly heavier than wheels at half the price. But yes, otherwise they’re great!

maxtorque

If you’re snapping spokes on your XC race bike, you might want to lay off the pies a bit TBH! 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah, Gee’s a proper fat bugger!

They tend to pop out of the hubs too. At half the price they’d be fine IMO.

gee
    Free Member

Oi.

njee20
    Free Member

Missed the rolling eyes smiley off the end, definite sarcasm!

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Sorry to butt in but what lightweight 29er wheels are people running? Spokes used? Rims? Hubs?
    Thanx,
    Max

chillidave
    Free Member

Stans Olympics on Pro 2 with DT Aerolites. Not that light by today’s standards but have held up pretty well as I’m not that light or particularly gentle with them.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Reynolds 29er carbon wheels
    Sapim CX-Rays
    I9 Torch hubs

1450g. Mega stiff!

Also have a set of Race Golds. Massive difference in flex and not that much lighter.

njee20
    Free Member

Massive different in cost too 😉

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Not really, neither are cheap 😉

slowjo
    Free Member

Hugi DT240s, Stans Crest (29er), DT spokes.

Can’t remember how long I have had the hubs, must be well over 10 years by now. I have replaced the bearings once otherwise they run as smoothly as the first tie I used them.

jimification
    Free Member

(29er) Stans Crest / DT Revs / DT Ali Nips / DT 240s Hub

Really like the 240s – Nice and light and the freehub is a brilliantly simple piece of design. I recently put a 36T ratchet in it and it’s a buzzier than I’d like! – scared to put more molokyte in with those tiny 36 teeth in there.

large418
    Free Member

Roval Control SL’s – have 2 pairs – DT Swiss copy hubs, about 1400g per pair. Good wheels for someone of my weight (75kg) and capability (average)

mangatank
    Free Member

I’ve been riding on these cross country and on red runs. Light, fast, rigid and very pretty. Increadibly easy to use tubeless too. Very cheap at chainreaction.com :

Crank Bros Cobalt 2 Wheelset

They’ve yet to explode and kill by-standers…

njee20
    Free Member

Roval Control SL’s – have 2 pairs – DT Swiss copy hubs, about 1400g per pair

Not copies – they are DT240 rear hub internals. I found mine pretty poor though. The Podiums are stiffer, the rims haven’t dented as much, and the front hub bearings last longer than 20 minutes! To be fair I think the newer Controls had that sorted anyway!

The new carbon Rovals without the bead hook look very interesting, certainly think anything based on a DT hub is onto a winner!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

AM Classic tubeless. Pretty light, very stiff, slightly aero, quiet freehub.

cynic-al
    Free Member

2003 xtr and olympics.

29er has open pros.

composite
    Free Member

Wow that’s quite a mixture there, plenty for me to get my teeth into with Google. Thanks all. 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

As for 29 got some race gold and have no problem with them but I’m light and don’t tend to attack down hills much

DT78
    Free Member

A2z stans Olympic with dt revs. Lasted pretty well, if you ride rocky trail centres descents fast they need retruing afterwards but fine for the usual xc racing. Sealing isn’t fantastic on the freehub and had to replace a bearing after 2 seasons with minimal nasty weather use. Cost £6 to sort.

I’m very tempted to try out some of those light cycles carbon rims, but the Olympic rims keep going….

bigrich

crest on pro3

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What hub/rim combination are you using for your light weight XC race bike?’ is closed to new replies.