Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What household object/decor would you cheerfully bin (if your could!)…
  • the-muffin-man

For me it’s fridge magnets!

The fridge and freezer are covered in the ruddy things. The wife and daughter love them though and we always end up buying more wherever we go.

In principle the idea is sound – use a fridge magnet to keep useful notes easily visible. The magnets are so piss-poor though that I’d have more success rubbing the notes on my bald head and sticking them with static electricity!

Instead the notes constantly fall off (and slip under the fridge into the congealed fluff that lives there!), and the few useful notes get lost amongst all the other tat attached to the door.

😀

martymac

The television.
    Wife won’t hear of it tho.

franksinatra

Cushions and blankets. House has hundreds of the things everywhere. All of them need folding/tidying/plumping up constantly. They just clutter.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    P-Jay
    Free Member

Rugs, house is full of them. They’re surprisingly active too, constantly shifting about and needing constant adjustment.

hodgynd
    Free Member

The dishwasher ..hate both filling & emptying it and the kitchen always seems to be in a state of transition ..but then washing by hand doesnt appeal either ..

rocketman
    Free Member

I think it would be food or more specifically things in cans and packets and boxes and jars

mrs rocket (and her family) have a mild obsession with having stuff ‘in stock’ so our kitchen resembles a corner shop

johndoh
    Free Member

The kitchen bin

Seriously.

Small hidden ones (ie fit in a cupboard) are too small and need constant emptying. The big swing bin ones are just too big and damn ugly.

DezB
    Free Member

Curtains. If I could be bothered to replace the curtains my mum gave me when I moved in 3 years ago! 😆 They may be hideous, but they do what curtains are supposed to do, so I just can’t be bothered to buy nice ones.

jerseychaz

Candles and incense sticks – I hate the smell but m’wife loves them!

kayak23

Bane of my life…

Why we can’t have an electric one that doesn’t take a fortnight to boil I don’t know..

johndoh
    Free Member

kayak – been there myself. We have gone back to electric now 🙂

matt_outandabout

Do teenage boys count as a household object? 😀

Old post, stuff that’s not important to keep, yet seems to pile up in our cupboard… Just read it and either file or bin. There is no in between.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The ku klux ducks.

My mother in law posted them at great expense from America – they’re like those ducks in wellies (we have one of those dickheads too…) but in separate little yellow sou’westers with pointy hats that make it look like they’re off to burn some grebes on a cross.

steve_b77
    Free Member

johndoh – Member
    The kitchen bin

Seriously.

Small hidden ones (ie fit in a cupboard) are too small and need constant emptying. The big swing bin ones are just too big and damn ugly.

This

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Christmas decorations, pointless nonsense.
    In fact Christmas is a ridiculous debacle that i loath with every cell in my body.
    Stupid morons eating to excess, then whinging and whining how much weight they’ve put on, buying each other crap they neither want or need so they can put it into landfill in a few years time when they have a clearout.

I know, needs more spelling mistakes, expletives and capital letters.

DezB
    Free Member

Why we can’t have an electric one that doesn’t take a fortnight to boil I don’t know..

I just bought a kettle – 40 secs to boil 2 cups worth. 😆

If you have a kettle just for looks, why not put it on display and get a practical one to actually use??

jimmy

That cushion on the bed. Not a pillow, a cushion. Gets moved off every night, back on in the morning, all smug being in bed all day.

kayak23

If you have a kettle just for looks, why not put it on display and get a practical one to actually use??

I don’t have one for looks, she does. I want one that is efficient and also looks good. So far I’m not winning my campaign to bin the Alessi 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

It is nice not to have a “she” cluttering up the place with crap. I reckon you should all get rid of them. 😀

Dickyboy

DezB – feeling left on the shelf, need a few more fish to fry?

Mines a keeper btw, despite her need for bed cushions and being subjected to a stove kettle* after she blew the leccy one

* Only for a few days, none of us could cope with the watching and waiting

Cougar

none of us could cope with the watching and waiting

That’s where you’re going wrong, did your mother never teach you any proverbs?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Every. Thing.

Currently residing in Clutterville.

Dreaming of moving to Dunclutterin

Bunnyhop

Candles.
    Only useful in a power cut.
    Can’t stand the smell. Yuk.

DezB
    Free Member

DezB – feeling left on the shelf, need a few more fish to fry?

Nope, far from it, just don’t let em take over my house! My house all mine whahahaha

Er, hang on.. fish to fry??

TheDTs
    Free Member

DezB – feeling left on the shelf,

You are the Elf on the shelf AICMFP

wiggles
    Free Member

I got to do this recently after my house became a “male only zone” (even the dog) got rid of so many baskets and candles!

However my mum decided it looked too “bare” so has started sneaking things in like a random bronze statue of a hare?!

I Just done see the point in having things that fufil no purpose… I have a cupboard to put the TV on, a clock to tell the time etc all look nice and have a purpose no need to add shelving etc for stuff I dont need

edlong
    Free Member

Pointless cushions on the bed +1

They sit all day doing nothing on the bed, until we go to bed, at which point they get dumped on the floor. Next morning, back onto the bed.

Why????

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

This is sooooooo easy; the iron. I buy clothes that can be washed, dried on a line/rad and then worn. Why anyone wants an iron is beyond me.

thelawman

jimmy – Member
    That cushion on the bed. Not a pillow, a cushion. Gets moved off every night, back on in the morning, all smug being in bed all day.

Just ONE cushion? Think yourself lucky. We have 5 cushions (assorted sizes), a right-angled bolster pillow (it’s allegedly to support your neck if you sit in bed reading… but has never been used) and a fluffy toy dog on ours. But their movements are exactly as you describe. Every night I shove them on the floor, and every morning Mrs L-man, rather more carefully, puts them back on the bed and reshapes them into a smug arrangement. They’re an absolute waste of space.

Edit
    Oh, yes, just thought of another. Plastic plants from a certain Swedish home furnishings emporium. Just no. If you want green things that look like plants all over the kitchen, get plants. But don’t take up valuable shelf & worktop space with plastic tat.
    Rant over; time to breathe and take Daft Dog out for a bit.

Kryton57

The red carpet with gold stair rods on our stairs.

we finally have saved enough to decorate upstairs as a summer 2018 project, woo hoo they’ll be gone.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

There’s a couple of dead flies lying on the ledge below the conservatory roof but I need stepladders to reach them. They’ve been there ages.

myti
    Free Member

Also agree on the fridge magnets, dvds and cds also no longer required. we will never watch them again now we have Netflix and firestick. I like minimal but my man has a tendency to hording/mess.

stwhannah

This
    [/url][/img]

It is ugly, and still has bits of wallpaper stuck to it from when we decorated about 7 years ago, but I hate it so much I can’t face cleaning it. Modern lights are too dangly to fit with the low ceiling, or equally ugly, or so hyper cool that the ceiling rose would make it look ugly. And I hate the ceiling rose too but am not prepared to replaster the ceiling to get rid of it. Urgh.

So that, and loom bands. They kill hoovers, and probably whales too.

chip
    Free Member

Ornaments, don’t see the point of them but am partial to a picture.

Bills, I have folders full of them, gas, leccie, council tax, phone, house and mobile, cat insurance, dog insurance, house insurance, car and van insurance, bank statements. I would go paperless but my mum assures me you must keep atleast a years worth of everything.

bikebouy
    Free Member

MrsBouy has a fascination and an attachment for collecting Flint.. yip.. stones, not the Flintstones as in Fred, Wilma, Barney nor Betty oh no.. but real Flint from the South Downs.

So we head off for a walk, rucksack for sarnies and tea, and end up with 4kgs of Flint to drag around Gods finest work and back home for them to be “placed” in/or “arranged” in patterns pertaining to either Gothic or Pagan images in the garden.. or house..

I’m a believer in nature, I also believe things belong in thier own environment..

mattsccm
    Free Member

Virtually everything posted above! With the exception of teenagers and carpet rods which have never crossed the threshold. Clear it all out I say to leave more space for books. The domestic manager doesn’t see it this way though.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I don’t have any of these in my house but would happily bin them from everyone else’s:

1. Twigs in a vase

2. Sticky vinyl/stencilled messages on walls – “live laugh love”

3. Those wooden letters or complete words saying ‘relax’ or ‘home’ or some such crap sat on the mantlepiece

senorj

So many cushions & the pictures that She’s still not sure where exactly to hang them. aaaaaghhhh.
    We had a lurid red carpet throughout the house when we moved in. Like living in hell for a few weeks that one.

woffle
    Free Member

2. Sticky vinyl/stencilled messages on walls – “live laugh love”

this.

My brother finally won the war over replacing their hob kettle with an electric one. The next day, Dad comes around, ‘pops the kettle on’. Cue fire, molten plastic over a gas hob and a full, flaming, electric kettle lobbed into the garden.

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What household object/decor would you cheerfully bin (if your could!)…’ is closed to new replies.