Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What Hope brakes for Morzine?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Off to Morzine in June and I need some new Hope brakes.
    Which brakes are recommended?

xyeti
    Free Member

To be honest, any of the current line up should see you alright, It depends on you and your riding and indeed your bike?

How Much riding will you be doing before you go? When you return?
    What kind of riding do you do when you are not in Morzine? Lakes & Peaks or trail Centre relatively flat stuff?

What Bike? Say a 160mm Nomad then I’d go for X4 Pots Prob E4 ones.

If a 130mm Trail bike then i’d go X2 Pot

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The ones that shimano make, and spend the the money you save on another week in Morzine….

[Biscuits opened] 😀

xyeti
    Free Member

Aaaand, put the lid back on,

Buy Cheap Buy Twice 💡

zelak999
    Free Member

Sorry should of said, bikes a 5010 V2 so 130 travel (150 Pikes up front) mainly xc ish stuff, certainly wont be doing any hardcore DH riding.
    Currently got the new XT brakes and find them a bit s**t tbh.
    They are indeed cheap though!

timbo678
    Free Member

I bought my hope wheels out there and a pal bought some E4s – both from the shop by the Pleney lift, the value of the euro meant they were cheaper there than at home. Just a thought if the rate continues.

sharkattack

Get yourself some Hope X2’s and that’s coming from a shimano user.

If you want to know why just google shimano lever problems or check the many discussions on here.

xyeti
    Free Member

I think thats what Nobbeer meant when he said Biscuits opened, as in a right can of worms.

On a Solo i think i’d put X2’s as Sharkattack suggested.

On a bronson? Maybe 2 Pot Maybe 4’s

Nomad, definately X4 pots.*
    *Other Bikes are available i just used these 3 sizes of the same brand for reference.

I ride the Alps on Hope brakes 4 Pots and they get some heat in em,
    If you have made the decision to go HOPE brakes “And i’m not teaching you to suck eggs” Dont then fall foul of buying cheap pads. I did this last year, well i was actually given them……. first set squeeled like pigs, second set the pad’s just disapeared off the backing plate, third set just chewed themselves up on the disk, So i went and bought originals.

Joe

Shimano is your friend, like every other sensible person.

SirHC

Hope E4’s and 200mm rotors for alpine descents. Once back in the UK would swap out the rotors for 180/160.

FYI, I have X2’s on my XC bike, E4’s on my Trail Bike, V4’s on the DH bike.

As far as pads, stick with the Hope ones, there are other options but seems to be a lottery as to whether they work or not

andysredmini
    Free Member

I would go for E4’s. I have them on 3 bikes and the extra stopping power over the x2’s is very apparent. The X2’s are powerful but not so suited to hard use or more precisely prolonged hard use. I have the X2’s on my anthem and they perfect but wouldn’t want them on my nomad or chameleon.

zelak999
    Free Member

Tech 3 E4’s or the lighter Race E4s?

chiefgrooveguru

I was surprised to see Mojo putting X2 calipers on the Geometron full builds – maybe I underestimated them? Anyway, I have M4 calipers on my Bird Zero AM and their replacement, E4 calipers, on my Spitfire. Tons of modulation, tons of power. 183mm rotors front and rear on both – if you’re heavier I can see a benefit from putting on 203mm rotors for the alps but you might not need it.

I have Race Evo levers on one bike, Tech 3 on the other – the Tech 3 can be set up exactly how you want them due to the bite point adjust whilst you can only adjust the lever reach on the Race levers so you have to find the best compromise between brake off and brake biting lever positions. At the cost of new Tech 3 levers I shan’t be changing the Race ones until they fall apart though!

andysredmini
    Free Member

I would go for the Tech 3 E4. I have the race levers on my x2’s but I don’t like the lever as much. The tech lever feels really good and is about the only lever that has reach and throw adjustment that actually works.

zelak999
    Free Member

Thanks folks, Tech 3 E4’s it is.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Tech 3 E4’s would be my choice as that’s what I run on my Whyte T-130.

My last trip (family holiday) to Morzine involved me riding a hired hardtail with low end shimano disks on part of the portes du soleil route. I flashed past a few groups of guys wearing full downhill kit on decent bikes mostly because I wasn’t bothering to check each section (which their guide was doing) and partially because the disks had faded so much stopping was a bit of a challenge!

poah
    Free Member

Which brakes are recommended?

Zee or Saint from a german store.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Consider Magura MT7: Extremely powerful, good modulation, good with repeatedly slowing down from Mach1 speed of a heavy rider.

zelak999
    Free Member

What size rotors are recommended? I’m 5ft 11′ and 13 stone so not mahoosive.
    Just go for 200mm front and rear and be done with it??

jambalaya
    Free Member

When I got my brakes the excellent LBS (Nirvana in Surrey Hills) said for my “enduro” style riding 180 front and rear where more than adequate. I have Hope tech 4 pots which are fabulous. I ride pretty much all the of the Morzine and Les Gets tracks, no real jumping and not at stupid speeds. I am 5-10 and 80kg

Also advantage of same front/rear is you can take a spare rotor if you want. I bent one of mine one year and although we sort of fixed it a spare would have been useful.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I’m about the same height and weight and I have 203 front and rear on my nomad and 203 front and 185 or 180 rear (cant remember) on my chameleon. I always go 203 on the front and either the 203 or the next size down on the rear. I do prefer the extra power the larger rear disk has but its not crucial.

Mostly the 203’s look massive, and bigger is nearly always better.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I run 183s both ends on both bikes just because I like the consistency. My LBS provided floating disks when they swapped out the Guide RSs for E4s even though i’d not speced floaters, I have a floating disc on the front of both bikes and a normal disc on threar, all seems to work well.

Also 5′ 10″ and 13 stone (82.75K) and 183s are plenty for me and my mincy style of riding.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was running v2 203/183 but on my new build, I’ve decided to go e4 180/160. Both were on 160mm hooligan machines risen reasonably quickly by a 15st rider.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What Hope brakes for Morzine?’ is closed to new replies.