Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • What hollowtech style BB?
  • garage-dweller

My low mileage raceface bb has gone all indexed after an axle deep outing but not sure what to replace with. Instinct is big S for value and I don’t want to spend King money.

Wondered if there are better options…Hope, Superstar whatever and good or bad experiences.

Thanks

seavers
    Free Member

After several RF BB’s fails I went for the big S (XT) but it came with the group set. All I can say is after a year of abuse it’s still going strong.

All riding buddies with big S stuff have had no problems while I was always having problems with RF. Made of cheese!

Would buy the same (S) again TBH. Hope, great but costly and would not trust SS but that might just be me.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Shimano XT or XTR from one of the German websites is probably the cheapest way to go. XT is pretty darned durable these days, I’ve an XT BB that’s approaching thirty months continual use and another that’s clocked up twenty four months on one of my other bikes. When it dies, I may well spend a bit of cash on a Hope stainless steel replacement, but or the sake of what has so far amounted to a pound a month I may well stick with Shimano.

I’ve never tried FSA, but RaceFace BBs are absolutely dire – one died on me within three months during the summer of 2006, which was notable for it’s almost complete lack of any precipitation whatsoever in my neck of the woods. I was so spectacularly unimpressed with the longevity of my BB and the (then) quoted thirty quid for a replacement that it’s been Shimano ever since.

garage-dweller

Thanks for that. Big S it is then.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What hollowtech style BB?’ is closed to new replies.