Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)
  • What HiFi speakers are you using?
  • RustySpanner

After a little inspiration.

Not fussed how cheap or expensive, just tell me why you like ’em and which amp you’re using.

I’m looking to replace a pair of Missions in a smallish room, using a decent Marantz amp so recommendations re similar systems especially welcome.

Thanks in advance.

robdob
    Free Member

I have some cheap Gale speakers from Richer Sounds from a few years back. Not as good as my old Mission 731’s so I am looking for some new ones. Really want some large Castle stand mounts.

None of this sub satellite crap. Big sound needs big speakers!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ruark Icons, because I designed them.

There’s a pair on ebay, prefect for you Rusty!

winston_dog
    Free Member

I got a full set of 5 Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo speakers off ebay for £200.

They were in perfect condition, very happy with them.

“Collection only” brings up the bargains on EBay.

RustySpanner

Really Al?
    Wow.
    I thought you were a lawyer?

Always liked Ruarks, but not heard the Icons.

Will put them on the shortlist.

AlexSimon

Rega Ella mkII in Cherry.

Love them to death. Whenever I demo others, I have to spend £1400 to get something I think is an improvement.

I’ve seen them go on ebay for £140!

(is impressed by cynic-al)

slowoldman

AVI preamp and mono bloc power amps, ATC SCM20 speakers with Harbeth subwoofers. Reason – the best speakers I’ve ever heard which would fit in a normal size room are ATC SCM50 Actives, but they are too big for my tiny shoebox.

Hadge
    Free Member

I’m using some Neat Ultimatums XLS and also have some lovely little Dynaudio 42’s which I can recommend if you can bring them away form the walls and give a little space to at the sides. They need good stands though as well. The Neats are just stunning but they should be for the price.

TiRed

Sonus Faber Concertino/Home/Rel 5.1 system with Onkyo receiver. Previously run the front two using a Music Fidelity A1 and a Quad 303, but sadly the room can’t accomodate a cinema and hifi system.

this_wreckage
    Free Member

Jamo concert 8’s fed by a leema acoustics pulse amp. Neither of which are available to purchase new anymore but if you trawl that well known auction site you can quite often come across the jamos for ridiculously low prices (considering they were over £1500 when new, can be had mint for £3-400). All very personal but I’ve yet to hear them bettered for under £3k!

RustySpanner

Can’t really get them too far off a back wall.

Have enjoyed Royd, Regas and LS3/5a in the past.

Have been offered some mint MA RS1’s, but want to audition a few more (BX2’s, Dali’s etc) before I take the plunge.

Lester
    Free Member
    dannybgoode

Rega RS5’s. Moorgate Acoustics have them for around half price at £550. Blooming lovely sounding things.

Not the deepest bass but so musical and beautifully balanced across the range.

rp16v
    Free Member

Old pair of technics liners why?…because there old and awsomely loud iv had them sins I was about 15 when mother upgraded to missions

johndoh
    Free Member

Sony Brooklands Edition floorstanders coupled to a Sony FA3ES streaming from my phone via an Apple Airport.

Sat at work blasting it out 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In a small room, with a Marantz combined unit, Monitor Bronze.

Nice, small speaker, good sound across almost all genres.

Helped, of course, by the directional cables plaited from mermaid pubes.

divenwob
    Free Member

Dali Zensors with Denon M39 by pc,B+W 601s2 rocking it in lounge.

mudshark
    Free Member

Some classic KEF 104/2s for me, can get them for a 200 quid or so on Ebay – bargin.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No Lester, that’s not me, I only worked there for a couple of years in the 90s (in pre law days Rusty).

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Wharfdale pacific pi-10 (I think) which are good but miss my pair of rogers db101’s (lent them to a friend and it has sort if becime a trade after they did me a massive favour – not complaing but really miss those speakers!) – which I think looked nicer and had a great sound. Both very old now but buying new hifi never seems to get to the top of my todo list!

Hobster
    Free Member

Dynaudio Excite X12 with a Cyrus 8 amp.

jam-bo

Arcam solos and just bought a denon ceol piccolo to drive them.

Sounds good, takes up very little space and logs straight onto spotify.

RustySpanner

Al – that is a very cool thing to be able put on your cv.

Did you use a tuning spoon at Ruark, or the more traditional fork?

parkesie
    Free Member

Celestion f30 from a samasung home cinema amp because they do music well and can pack a punch for films.

cynic-al
    Free Member

😡

IT WASNT A SPOON

RustySpanner

Spoonist.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Spendor S8E’s with either a Sony 770ES or a pile of chrome bumper Naim amps.

Sony ES integrated does 80% of what the Naims do at 1/10 of the ££

bigjim

If like me you secretly enjoy a bit of geekery, internet research and fettling it might be worth keeping an eye out for something second hand and needing repair. Just check you can still get drivers etc. I’ve got some nice Rogers speakers that were the price of two new tweeters, and my active monitors were also a bargain, just needed new tweeters too. I knew the people they came from so there was a bit less risk perhaps.

Same goes for amps etc – some nice stuff to be found on ebay/gumtree that might just need a squirt of deoxit to bring back to life.

Keva
    Free Member

Ruark Epilogue here, the small ones bought around 1999-2000, and a Cambridge Audio amp.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Rusty, you have just won teh interwebz!

Tuning spoon!

Superb!

Hadge
    Free Member

I have some Monitor Audio 7’s for sale that would be ideal as they’re small bookshelf speakers. Just had 2 new drivers fitted to them from Wilmslow Audio at a cost of £75 but I’ll let them go for less than that as I just want shift them. Very highly rated speakers in their days as well and would cost over £500 today if new. My emails in my profile if your interested.
    If your going new the ones you mentioned, the BX2’s and Dali’s I can definitely recommend as well.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Tannoy 631 se s that i have had for the last 16 years, still as good as they day i bought them. With my Technics A600 mk3 amp, which i have also had for the same time.

Cougar

I have some cheap Gale speakers from Richer Sounds from a few years back.

I initially got a Gale centre speaker when I was putting my AV setup together. It was toilet, with sod all EM shielding. Put it within three yards of the TV and the screen looked like an acid trip in a 60s movie. I took it back and swapped it for something that wasn’t mince.

I auditioned everything they had in Richer Sounds, back when they were happy to let you spend all day in the shop with a bag of CDs and half a mile of cabling. Walked out with a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors as my front speakers, along with smaller Paradigm surround speakers and the aforementioned Gale monstrosity. If I were doing it again I’d have got four Mini Monitors, they’re ace.

oldboy
    Free Member

ATC SCM 50 Active Towers + Benchmark HDR Preamp/DAC + Squeezebox Touch + FLAC.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Some very old but lovely sounding AVI Biggatron speakers, (neutrons unfortunately named bigger brother) specifically designed for studios. Ebay bargain a number of years back.