Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What helmet light?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

to complement the exposure race maxx on the bars? was thinking a minewt USB or l&m stella. <£100 and NOT a dealextreme p7 torch!!

trout
    Free Member

This one when it is finished

racing_ralph
    Free Member

oooo – i like that! How much are you looking at and what output?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got one of these:

null

it’s ace.

i got the smooth reflector – so it projects a small bright spot, and some sanyo 2700 mAh Nimh batteries.
    (and i’m trying not to be a battery bore, but sanyo make the best batteries, although you can buy other brands, that claim 2800mAh or even higher, if sanyo can’t do it, it can’t be done)

i get about 2 hours on full-beam (180lumens), which is often TOO bright. i get more than 3 hours on the 120lumen setting – which is plenty.

My fenix can be a pain to attach to my helmet, but i find a simple zip-tie does a good job.

problem is, the fenix is about £45, and a set of 4 good-batteries + charger is about £20. Still, it’s the cheapest set-up i’ve seen for a helmet light, that gives enough light, for enough time.

it feels like money well spent when i get cars blowing their horns, or flahing their full-beams at me after i’ve accidentally/temporarily blinded them.

night-riding is ace – it’s a good reason to look forward to winter.

trout
    Free Member

This one is experimental for when the new leds come out.and the round optics are not what I want .

output on paper 420 lumens in real life about 350 .
    runs from a 7.2 volt li ion so 3 hours is from a 2200mah pack

when the new XPG leds come out it could be upgraded to 650 lumens on paper

probably £60 plus postage then you need a battery should be doable for under £35.
    it is so light that it only needs some velcro to fit it to the helmet

here is a beamshot with the round optics . a bit narrow in my opinion.
    as the trees on the right are 75 metres away

number2
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack!

Trout, will that work with a 14.2v 4.5mah nimh battery (in my camelbak) to back up the (most excellent) bar light you supplied me with after Xmas.

Cheers, Andy

z1ppy

What helmet light? was thinking a minewt USB or l&m stella. <£100 and NOT a dealextreme p7 torch!!

did wonder why you wouldn’t want a p7 but then saw this line:

to complement the exposure race maxx on the bars?

obvious a P7 would just overpower that and not complement it.

trout
    Free Member

Hi Andy

sure will work with a 14.4volt pack
    Sorry I was quoting the minimum battery it would need as a 2 cell li ion is the maximum I would want to strap to the helmet

Even better would be a little triple I am working on also sort of half a Trout light
    here is a beam shot taken when I did the earlier one last night.

aviemoron
    Free Member

I’ve been using the new USE Maxxx 2 Joystick with no complaints this winter.

number2
    Free Member

Looks amazing, I was going to buy a P7 for the helmet but now I have seen that one, it looks like I might be able to do that at a similar price and use my current battery. It’s heavy but will be better than the P7 and I would be ok with the spot too. When will these be in production? No rush obviously.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Ah, just saw your budget. Try Fenix then, I keep a wee emergency one in my back pocket that seems ok as a back back up!

stevemorg2

email me (address in profile) if a Fenix fits the bill. I’ve got a BNIB L2DCE Q5 that I don’t need and I could probably sort out a new AA charger as well

trout
    Free Member

Andy any light can be done at any time as they are made to order now demand has slowed for the summer.

we will have some pretty cool lights for the winter if all goes well .
    and there will be the odd development light in the classifieds .

singlespeedstu

Just mailed you about this.

Northwind

RR, why not a dealextreme torch? Lighter than the minewt or Stella you mentioned, self contained, cheap, and far brighter. The only real downside is the burn time, but you still get over an hour on full whack, and on low power on the 2-mode ones the output isn’t much less than the minewt…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

are you sure about that? weight wise – inc batteries

trout
    Free Member

Here is the all up weight of my triple
    the battery needs dipping in plastidip and the cable shortening

coopersport1
    Free Member

I can get a Joystick for £100 so thats what I ride with and it’s great

Northwind

“Are you sure about that? weight wise – inc batteries”

Yup, put one of mine on the scales. Surprisingly light…

topangarider
    Free Member

How much light do people need?!?!

Trout – very nice looking light and I like what you’re doing , but bloody hell – it’s like riding in the day! Would be ok for fast downhill, but otherwise – just wait a few hours and ride when the sun comes up.

I’ve got an ay-up on the bars and a fenix on me lid and its just about right I reckon.

Notter
    Free Member

[cough] Tesco….

😉

Northwind

Tesco? Nah. To get any worthwhile amount of light and spread you need several (I had 3 at one point, one with the collimator out) which means carrying loads of extra batteries too. Total pain. And not even all that cheap- it’s cheap for one but one is pointless.

bassspine
    Free Member

+1 joystick maxx

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Where is a joystick cheapest? anyone done a head to head – joystick/minewt?

Northwind

OK, now I’ll sound like a fanatic, but the joystick’s just a very expensive torch. Good burn time and light weight but it’s not as good as a bike light as the P7 torches (a mate of mine has one, we swapped lights once, not too impressive). Good mounts though.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What helmet light?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts