Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • what helmet for my 20 month old
  • thered

What have you lot stuck on your little ones’ noggin’s?

gray

We got a Bell one, that was the right size, but was hard to get to sit at the right angle. Then we found one in Decathlon (was a bit older by then but not much) that is much better.

jam-bo

A giro one with red flames on. He likes it which is probably the most important bit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mattjg
    Free Member

We have one of the skate helmet style ones. It was too big to start with and a bit heavy for her but now (she is 3 1/2) I’m really glad of the coverage, especially as I’m riding her to nursery on a top tube seat.

If we had a nasty smack I’m convinced it would be a lot more effective than a “bike” style one, which never seem to fit kids properly anyway. A helmet bouncing solo down the street ain’t helping anyone.

Like this but pink: http://www.micro-scooters.co.uk/micro-safety-helmet-neon-blue-medium.html

Ours is pink but the other day I saw an orange one, I’d buy that.

mattjg
    Free Member

Obv. the number one tip is if making a “no helmet no ride ” rule then the relevant adults have to abide by it too.

mattjg
    Free Member

?? those look good!

Big-Pete
    Free Member

My grandson has used this from 18 months

simmy
    Free Member

My Goddaughter is 27 months but I’ve just got Her one of these for Xmas

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/small-fry-toddler-helmet-ec043577

She has tried it on in the Shop and my Mate said its fine on Her. It’s got the proper retention dial at the back and looks like a Adults helmet only smaller.

hatter

Originally got him a Giro which he hated so much he tore chunks of his hair out trying to remove it.

Then got him a Lazer P’nut which is evidently so comfy he will happily walk around the house all day in it and has done so on several occasions.

In other words expect to have to do a bit of trial and error to find one they like and get them to try it on before you hand over the cash. Don’t just go by head measurements like I did at first.

+1 to leading by example on the ‘no lid no ride’ rule too. We won’t even let him get his runner bike off the hook until he has his lid on.

doof_doof
    Free Member

A friend bought a Lazer P’nut for his son last week, very nice helmet and adjustment system. There’s a MIPS version, too. We use a Cratoni Rapper that works well and is light. Those skate style ones are often very heavy.

JoeG
    Free Member

or

or

edit – another one

thered

JoeG – I personally love those lids but I showed the to the missus and…….let’s leave it there eh.

riddoch

We have the specilized one that was linked, that seems fine.
    Is our wrong I want the last one in the last link in adult size?

sandwicheater

Which ever fits the best. We went with a Giro as it had the smallest size option.

letmetalktomark

We were luck from day one that LMTTM Junior like hats/helmets etc.

We went with one of these from the LBS:

Comes with a flashing rear LED on the adjuster. LMTTM Junior doesn’t use his bike after dark but who dosen’t like an LED!

We were using this from around 16 months. Still plenty of room on the cusp of 36 months too.

fenn27
    Free Member

+1 for the Lazer P’Nut MIPS, the Autofit system is excellent.

brakes
    Free Member

the normal helmets seem to be better than the skate-style ones for little ones (less than 3) as they’re lighter and smaller. for some reason the skate ones use the same thickness of foam as adult ones which seems a bit daft to me and their a bit lollipoppy.
    I’d also look for one with a retention mechanism on as kids don’t like the straps up too tight.
    we had this one from Limar which was good in terms of size and weight, but the straps sat too far back and the retention mechanism was flimsy and broke after brakes junior chucked it across the floor one too many times!

thered

Thanks all, went for the Lazer P’nut MIPS Green dragon.

Gnarrrrrrr!!!!

I am soooooooo looking forward to this.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘what helmet for my 20 month old’ is closed to new replies.