Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What heli tape?
  • kevin1911

Anyone care to recommend some heli tape? I’ve been using biketape from Biketart for ages with great results, but they seem to be sold out of pretty much all sizes. I ordered some from convertape but it doesn’t seem to apply so well – it can be seen quite clearly whereas the biketape just seems to blend in.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

K

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Paragon tapes.

wisepranker
    Free Member

This stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290500585782?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_922

Proper 3M tape, sticks well, doesn’t go yellow and does what it’s supposed to!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I bought some paragon tape off ebay and wasn’t that impressed. Thin and very bubble-prone.

The JRA tape is more expensive, but better quality.

bren2709

I use Biketart’s heli tape, good stuff!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

JRA stuff is 3M 8561HS – according to my exhaustive (not!) comparison to ex MOD stuff in its original box / label.

Biketart appears to be 3M 8671.

More details here:
    http://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/Aerospace/3M_Helicopter_Tapes/

Basically – the JRA stuff is thicker – almost like a thin layer of transparent rubber that is super mouldable and may help resist a stone chip / dent. Biketart is much thinner – great for scratches.

There are lots of 3m counterfeits on ebay.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Any recommendations for some thin heli tape? Most of the stuff Ive ever bought has been pretty thick and its looks a mess after a while.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Ive had non-3M Paragon stuff a few times, but the last lot I bought (to put on a white-painted road bike) has yellowed very obviously very quickly. Will stick to 3M next time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Used the £m that JRA do from Viking Tapes

Need to get some cardboard tubes and put a tiny bit of tape in them. Make some cash!

oldgit
    Free Member

Out of interest what is helitape? is is the stuff you get with new frames to protect from cable rub. I could do with some of that.

Jase
    Free Member

I’ve used the JRA stuff and its very good.

OG – yes

crush83
    Free Member

i just get it from the helicopters at work.

wisepranker
    Free Member

Out of interest what is helitape? is is the stuff you get with new frames to protect from cable rub. I could do with some of that.

That’s the stuff.

Jase
    Free Member

OG – when I got mine me and Nath bought some and split it.

May be worth doing that with the club if it works out cheaper that way, I’d have some more 😆

bigjim

If I was doing mine again I would use a thinner tape than the 3M 0.4mm stuff.

kevin1911

Thanks for all the tips. I tried some more stuff from eBay that promised to go on and be completely clear. It arrived today. Just as obvious and visible as the convertape stuff.

Will order some of the 3M 8671 stuff I think. Will post back my findings.

kevin1911

Well I got the (alleged) 3M 8671 the other day, and applied it. Didn’t seem to go on anywhere near as well as the Biketart stuff. Could just be my cack-handedness or the frame now having fingerprints on it or something.

Typically, I see BikeTart now have new stock of all sizes of their tape, so will stick with them.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What heli tape?’ is closed to new replies.