Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What height are you Vs. your 27.5 and 29er?
  • Aus
    Free Member

Hi all,

I know sizing is personal, but just as a straw poll, what height are you and what size is your bike (and type of bike/type of riding).

Bottom line is trying to work out whether a 17″ seat tube/22.3″ top tube rigid 27.5 would be too small for my 5′ 11″ frame, singletrack riding.

Thanks

br
    Free Member

How long are your legs is more important IMO, as this dictates seat tube and seat post length.

But I’d guess its too short.

SirHC

Seat Tube and Top tube measurements arn’t that useful for sizing, as the head angle and seat angle have a big influence. What’s the reach, stack, head tube height?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yes.
    Your(sic) welcome

prawny

I’m 5’11” and I’ve got one of each.

27.5 FS 29 HT.

29er is less playful, probably faster on the flat. Seems similarly grippy though.

I think riding style and preference is more important than height, and I think frame design has more bearing that wheel size.

teasel
    Free Member

Reported.

Clearly 26erist…

everyone
    Free Member

171cm

17″ Ritchey P650b, 431mm ST 595mm TT
    Med Soma B-Side (650b) 420mm ST ~585mm TT (Stack ~572mm, Reach ~410mm)

Rubber_Buccaneer

whether a 17″ seat tube/22.3″ top tube rigid 27.5 would be too small for my 5′ 11″ frame, singletrack riding.

Never mind wheel size, what length seatpost are you going to need? and can you get one?

scotroutes

Tiny, I would have said. I’m 5.7″ and my 27.5″ hardtail (the one I use for mucking around in the woods etc. is a Ragley Marley. Seattube is 18″ and TTe is 24″

Stevet1
    Free Member

6′ tall, 26″ hardtail with 18″ seattube and 24″ top tube. riding style – fun.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

6ft. 2x 29ers, both 19″s or large size. Long but low dropped top tube is the first thing I look at on potential new bikes.

lesgrandepotato

6ft tall – Niner Jet Carbon large size. Like me. Its a big bike.

matt_outandabout

My bike is blue. It fits well, just on the limit of the frame/seatpost length.
    HTH

CheesybeanZ

5’10 , 31″ inside leg , plus 2″ on the ape index .
    Codeine 29 , Salsa El Mariachi and a fatty trail in medium – I’d be happy on the large versions apart from the head tube being longer and making the front end to high for me .

deviant
    Free Member

5′ 9″ and riding an 18 inch/medium Trance.

Also ride a 16 inch Dartmoor Hornet.

At your height I’d be looking at large bikes.

pocpoc
    Free Member

6ft 2ins.
    29er large hardtail – Voodoo Bizango
    Works for me

bungalistic
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″

I have a medium(18″) full suss 27.5 with a reach of 453mm
    Also have a large(18″) 29 hardtail with a reach of 425mm

Neither feels too big or too small just different and clearly have different ideas on bike geometry etc

Northwind

I have a Trek so nobody really understands the sizing. I think it’s officially a 20.5 but it seems to have a 19 inch seat tube and I’m reasonably sure the exact same frame was also sold as a 20 inch. I’m 5’10 but if Trek measured me I reckon I’d be 5 foot 2 with a 6 foot inside leg

Top tube doesn’t really tell you anything of use, too many other variables. Reach is more useful- it’s limited in scope, but it does usefully measure that one thing. And for me I want around 450mm but ymmv.

gelert
    Free Member

I’m 5’10.5 and reach on my 17 inch seat tube 26er bike is 425mm. ETT 600mm. 32 inch inside leg.

Measuring me for a seat tube comes out as 52cm or 20 inches and I my first bike was that size but a 125mm dropper on a 20 inch had me hoping for Reverb sag on the climbs. The 20 inch bike had an ETT of 600mm too. Nowadays a 20 inch bike would have a much much longer ETT and I’d never fit it!

At least with a 17 inch frame I can slam the drooper to the frame on steep only days. But for climbing my actual correct positioning hasn’t changed much from what I was on the 20 inch bike. I’m just a tiny bit better rider and my head angle is 65 instead of 69!

I could easily manage with an 18 inch frame too depending on the model bike. I just like more room to move about on a bike if possible.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

I’m 5’10 1/2 with a 33” inside leg and have a 27.5 YT Capra in medium, a 27.5 Kingdom Vendetta in medium, 29er Niner air 9 in medium, and on the way, a 29er trek slash, with a 19.5 frame, although With there strange ‘virtual’ sizing, I understand it’s actual is about 18.5. First 3 feel fine for what they’re designed for, and fingers crossed the trek will aswell

Denis99
    Free Member

I’m 5 10 tall, and ride two fervent 650b bikes.

Happiest on a 18 inch centre to top seat tube frame, don’t want a frame that feels like a gate for me. Usually means a 400mm seat post which is a reasonable length out of the frame, but nowhere near the maximum extension.

On my fat bike , again an 18″ seat tube.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

5′ 10″
    31″ inside

(Vagabond 29er with drops)

460mm seat tube (18.1″)
    567mm top tube (22.3″)
    100mm stem

Perfect for me for single-track/general riding. A tad too small for touring if being superpicky but I just slide the seat back.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What height are you Vs. your 27.5 and 29er?’ is closed to new replies.