Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • What (healthy) food should I eat? (diet content)
  • zippykona

Emsz if only that was true. Don’t know if im a special case but I do need to eat at least every 2 hours.
    I can just feel the life drain out of me and my eyes turn red.
    Luckily I’m not overweight and my brother us exactly the same.

emsz
    Free Member

So. You get up every 2 hours in the middle of the night to eat? It’s sort of a bit pathetic to think that you “need” to eat every 2 hours.

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorry to go on, but no…that’s why you’ve got 2 stone to loose. Get used to the feeling of being hungry, it won’t kill you, promise. Amazed by the fact that people can’t accept a teeny bit of discomfort in their lives to get what they want

emsz
    Free Member

God, you’re like my dad 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

No I am not. Now tidy your room, or no TV for you.

emsz
    Free Member

Jamie, I’m doing a sort of smirky-half smile at you.

I’m in a mood today, can’t figure out why.

molgrips
    Free Member

I do need to eat at least every 2 hours.
    I can just feel the life drain out of me and my eyes turn red.

I used to be similar. It can be changed. The reason you feel like that is down to various hormones afaik.

core

Haven’t touched the banana so far………

brassneck

Personal experience has shown me that an apple in the morning and a banana in the afternoon doesn’t make me fat, it’s what I pile on the plate at breakfast lunch and dinner. YMMV.

FWIW boiled eggs, 2 off, keep me fine till 13:00 I do usually have a slice of wholemeal toast though with it, just doesn’t seem right without.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

So. You get up every 2 hours in the middle of the night to eat? It’s sort of a bit pathetic to think that you “need” to eat every 2 hours.

If it’s not harming anybody, what’s it to you?

Jamie
    Free Member

If it’s not harming anybody, what’s it to you?

zippykona

Molgrips ,tell more. Did you get better on your own or help from the docs?
    According to my doctor ” im just one of those people.”

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Lol Jamie, that did get my tentacles out….just annoys me the number of people on here who judge people for their eating habits, that whole attaching morals to food thing.

“Good” equals eating less, counting calories, depriving self, being hungry means you are self controlled, have willpower etc.

“Bad” equals responding to your body’s hunger instead of mastering it with your mind, people who eat when they feel like eating are lazy, undisciplined, and have no self control, can’t put up with a bit of discomfort, etc.

I realise that most people who have this mindset won’t change it, but it is exactly that mindset that drives people to eating disorders and a poor relationship with food and their bodies.

stu1972
    Free Member

A recent IBD diagnosis has made me change the food I eat for the better. No bread of any shape or form and nothing cooked in fat. Try not to have any refined sugar.

Boiled eggs or gluten free porridge for breakfast.
    Home made chicken salad or mackeral/other fish for lunch or baked potato & tuna.
    Supper usually involves poultry and mashed potatoes or wholegrain rice.
    Lots and lots of streamed veg.
    Kale,Spinach & lemon smoothies (sounds rank but isn’t bad).
    Seeds, berries and nuts to graze on.
    Homemade Paleo recipe muffins and flapfack for snacking.

Sounds like cack but its not bad at all.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

the number of people on here who judge people for their eating habits, that whole attaching morals to food thing.

This, lots, and lots, and lots, and lots.

Food should just be food, tasty stuff you eat to stay alive, not the root of all evil.

For that we already have money.

MikeWW
    Free Member

core – Member
    Started as I mean to go on last night, in the gym.

Lasagne for dinner.

No breakfast this morning (wasn’t hungry), so a glass of milk only.

Lunch consists of tuna, boiled eggs, cucumber, lettuce, green pepper, small amount of balsamic.

Have got a banana in case I get hungry.

We’ll see how it goes………..

Lasagne with all that pasta isn’t great

If there is any meal not to skip its breakfast

Avoid milk if you can

Lay off the bananas unless its during or immediately after exercise

You could make life a lot easier for yourself eating he things that will help you lose fat

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips ,tell more. Did you get better on your own or help from the docs?

Well I wouldn’t call it ‘getting better’, just an adjustment of how my body fuels itself. As I understand it, some people have more of a tendency to fuel themselves with stored glycogen(carbs) rather than fat. So you do light exercise or even nothing, you use up your stores and then this is a trigger for hunger, so you want more high GI things, this releases insulin which in turn inhibits fat burning so you burn carbs and it continues.

It may help to work on your fat burning. I iDieted and also used the 45 minute rule. Don’t have anything high GI (or preferably anything at all) for as long as possible before a ride – so for example ride without breakfast ideally or ride after work without having had anything since lunchtime – and don’t have any carbs until 45 mins of your ride has elapsed. This gets your fat burning pathway going, apparently.

I noticed a dramatic change with both of these things, and also base training. Aged 25 or so I used to be on my knees with hunger in the morning, and I’d clock-watch for 12 to come around so I could go and eat. Now I forget entirely and have to rush out at 2.30pm otherwise the shops have sold all the lunch stuff.

bombjack
    Free Member

Myfitnesspal app is great for making you think about actually what you eat, whilst I wouldn’t take the calorie counts as gospel (especially for cv activities) it at least gives you a bench mark to aim for, if the weight loss isn’t working then increase the calorie deficit further. I find if I keep a decent record of my training then the food part follows suit, You’ll know if the engine needs more fuel, if you’re recording it then its a prompt not to feed it rubbish. And like MikeWW said above, don’t skip breakfast – Your body hasn’t eaten since teatime the previous day, don’t make it wait any longer…

daniebike
    Free Member

Rice, and spaghetti would be the best choice, a bit of chicken won’t heart as well.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Skip whatever meal you feel like.

Don’t believe the breakfast-is-the-most-important-meal hype. It’s just another mealtime. So what if you haven’t eaten since the day before? If you feel fine without it, crack on.

brassneck

Assuming that’s flapjack, how do you make that without refined sugar?
    Would be interested in a recipe.

molgrips
    Free Member

My advice would be not to try and simulate the crap. Just find recipes that work without the crap.

Don’t search for sweet options, just wean yourself off sweet stuff. Don’t ask ‘what can I eat for desert?’ just don’t eat desert.

brassneck

Wasn’t looking for desert, don’t really eat it myself. But might be an interesting food option for long days out.

molgrips
    Free Member

On the bike?

You can and probably should be eating carbs on the bike. Just not for the first 45 mins 🙂

MikeWW
    Free Member

mrmonkfinger – Member
    Skip whatever meal you feel like.

Don’t believe the breakfast-is-the-most-important-meal hype. It’s just another mealtime. So what if you haven’t eaten since the day before? If you feel fine without it, crack on.

Really? Based on anything or did you just make it up?

molgrips
    Free Member

Anything you eat, even low GI food, stimulates insulin production. Insulin inhibits fat burning and encourages your body to use glycogen stores aka ‘burning carbs’.

When you haven’t eaten for 8-10 hours your insulin levels are stable and low so you should be burning fat nicely. If you eat breakfast then the insulin spike can make you hungry later. If you don’t eat breakfast, you can often go on for quite a while without it – burning fat all the while.

My sister doesn’t eat breakfast for this reason, and I’ve noticed the same effect myself. And lots of other people have said this too.

johndoh
    Free Member

My sister doesn’t eat breakfast for this reason, and I’ve noticed the same effect myself. And lots of other people have said this too.

Interesting that.

May I counter?

My brother has never eaten breakfast for his entire life and has always been overweight.

About three years ago he started eating breakfast and hasn’t changed his lifestyle in any other way – still drinks loads, still eats curries etc.

He is now bordering on skinny.

Interestingly, he also stopped smoking around the same time he started eating breakfast and that is meant to make you put weight on as your appetite increases.

Go figure as they say.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m sorry everyone, but I feel the urge to agree with molgrips. Maybe I’m a bit hungry…

The whole ‘don’t miss meals’ thing is intricately linked with societal expectations regarding food, and the ‘don’t miss breakfast’ thing is another example.

What if you work at night? When is ‘breakfast’? Why eat if you aren’t hungry?

We have managed to separate the idea of eating from the need to eat, and consequently eat when we aren’t hungry, eat too much and so on.

molgrips
    Free Member

He is now bordering on skinny.

I must say that is rather surprising, no idea what could be going on there. It has always been said that statistically people who don’t eat breakfast have more incidence of being overweight than those who do, but that’s a correlation rather than a causation, I think.

It may well be that usually people who don’t eat breakfast aren’t hungry til lunch, but then overcompensate the rest of the day once they’ve started eating. Perhaps this is what your brother experienced?

However, my point about breakfast was that it can start you feeling hungry mid morning if you eat it, where you might not be hungry if you don’t. What happens after that is another thing 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

I really have no idea why it has happened and neither does he – he does cook for himself now (used to live with our mum until she died) but he eats very well (single, owns his own house etc) so he often gets fillet steaks, fancy meal deals etc and really enjoys food – and *NEVER* misses an opportunity to go for a curry.

molgrips
    Free Member

Curries arne’t necessarily bad either.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Skip the gluten (grains/flour) and up your protein and fat (nuts, avacodo, meat)

Higher fat diets have been shown to provide more meaningfull weight loss results – as long as you stay off the carb rich grains

Paleo makes a good deal of sense, but don’t go the cult paleo route…
    concepts from atkins (low GI), paleo (hunter gatherer) and gluten free should be effective as the fats should help curb your hunger cravings.

I’m no expert, and I recognise that each individual has to find a healthy eating plan that works for them.. one that doesn’t fit you, wont stick and you’ll ultimately fail.

I’m still battling the sugar cravings but feeling much better inside right now having drastically reduced bread/pasta/flour.

johndoh
    Free Member

Curries arne’t necessarily bad either.

No, really?

BigJohn

Miss out the rice or naan and have pakora and popadoms instead and its very idiet friendly. So was my lunch today. Working on site so last night I made some falafels and tamarind dip. Fantastic and quick.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Really? Based on anything or did you just make it up?

The thing is, the advice to eat breakfast sort of originated with cereal/grain farmers associations (well, chicken/dairy farmers as well, “go to work on an egg” etc) – about as vested an interest as you can get.

Mind you, I don’t disagree with eating breakfast – personally, I find it essential for concentration and generally feeling normal up until meal number two which comes three hours later. But, that’s coming from a mental perspective rather than physical. Also, I wake up hungry and the first thing I really want to do is eat – other people don’t.

There aren’t, to the best of my knowledge, any studies that conclusively prove the act of having some of your daily calories within an hour of getting up makes any difference to body weight/fat. Sure, its a correlation to people who are lighter/thinner, but not a causative thing. As molgrips said.

OTOH plenty studies that show kids are, in the morning, better behaved, concentrate better, etc. etc. when they have eaten breakfast.

Eat breakfast if you like. Just don’t kid yourself it makes a blind bit of difference to weight.

molgrips
    Free Member

I used to be almost crippled with hunger first thing in the morning when I was 18 or so. Now I don’t mind either way. What made the most difference was being at uni and having to roll out of bed and onto the bus in 5 mins… My body just adapted.

miketually
    Free Member

From what I’ve read: the paleo approach to breakfast is to either have something protein-rich within 30 minutes of waking, or skip it altogether.

The modern approach is to have something carby and sugary and covered in milk, with more sugar sprinkled on top. Then feel hungry again a couple of hours later. And get fat.

brassneck

A good reason for breakfast is if you are unlikely to get an opportunity to eat well between then and lunch, and if you can’t keep a lid on the impulse to eat something,anything.

Count myself in this camp, and a couple of eggs dampens this right down so on the whole I eat less and better for that period than if I skip it.

I usually skip it if cycling in though and eat when I get in (else I’m in no fit state for 25Km/300m climbing home come 17:00)

miketually
    Free Member

Part of the iD*** thing (and in the 4HourBody book too) was training yourself to ‘run’ on fat.

When I was doing it, I did long rides with no breakfast (other than black coffee), then just water to drink for the first hour of the ride, before switching to diluted (50:50) apple juice with a small amount of carbs eaten hourly (I had a mini pork pie). This seemed to work really well for me.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Modern breakfasts suck.

Eggs are good (don’t believe the cholesterol hype).

Equally, a chicken salad works very well but most folk are socially conditioned away from eating “a normal meal” at breakfast time.

training yourself to ‘run’ on fat

wouldn’t doing long endurance cardio at any time of day achieve this?

this only really affects what you burn during exercise, fat is already the fuel source when you’re just sitting around in an office.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘What (healthy) food should I eat? (diet content)’ is closed to new replies.