Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What headset for a tapered headtube Orange Five?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

OK, never had bikes with anything other than a standard 1 1/8″ headtube so this is confusing me…

What headset will I need for a tapered headtube Five to take a standard 1 1/8″ steerer’d fork?

And whats cheapest??

Cheers
    Dave

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

This one from Hope

It’s the E2 Tapered one refered to in here.

For an 1.125″ steerer, you just fit the HS136 lower steerer crown converter to the fork to effectively make it into a tapered steerer.

.duncan
    Free Member

The following is what I went for, not saying its the cheapest out there but it works.. with current CRC prices.

Hope Pick n Mix Headsets – Top Cup – 1.1/8″ – Integral 43.95mm
    £28.99

Hope Pick n Mix Headsets – Bottom Cup – 1.5″ – Integral 55.9mm
    £28.99

Hope Tapered 1.5″ Reducer Crown – Each
    £7.99

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve not had the best experience with Hope headsets in the past and don’t intend to revisit them at £70+ for one. Is there anything for about half that price?

On-One Smoothie Mixer? Do they fit?
    What about the dreaded Superstar?
    Nukeproofs?

legend
    Free Member

Go for the Superstar equivalent. The Mrs has the Hope one, I have the SS and can’t figure out any reason I’d want to spend the extra (other than brand snobbery on a part you can’t even see)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ll take a look at the Superstar one. I’ve nothing against their kit…

Another question – do these types of headsets have zero (or almost zero) height lower cups and a standard top one?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Another question – do these types of headsets have zero (or almost zero) height lower cups and a standard top one?

No, they have almost zero stack height at both top and bottom.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Nukeproof do them. I have one in my BFe with 1 1/8 forks. Works fine, and bearings are replaceable. Not sure on price, as it came with the frame.

Top cup is zero, bottom sticks out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What headset for a tapered headtube Orange Five?’ is closed to new replies.