Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What Headset?
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

The OEM one in my Pitch is beggered I suppose I could keep it going but it would take more time than its worth.

What is a good headset to buy that lasts ages with bairly any maintenance and isnt too expensive? The last headset I brought was about 4 years ago and that was a RaceFace Deus(I think) and that was great but they are twice the price that I paid.

Its just a normal 1 1/8 steerer on the bike.

Thanks.

oldfart

FSA Orbit XL11 about £25 ?

grumm
    Free Member

That's what I was recommended too after I knackered the one in my Pitch – was less than £20 on ebay I think, no problems so far.

jordie
    Free Member

Get A King they are really good.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Hope. Had two winters with mine and into my third. Not a problem.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Not getting a King I would rather buy 5 FSA Pigs. And I don't want my steerer scored by the poor design. 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

5 years on a Hope so far, been in 3 frames and installed with a mallet each time. 🙂

Cant go wrong with Cane Creeks or FSA though if you not after a colour & dont want to spend loads…

odannyboy
    Free Member

why do people spend so much on chris king h/s? shurly they cant be that much better? i have never had a poor ride on abike except one that has an ancient sh@gged o/e no name h/s that i had tried to breath some life back into and it was notchy.that was down to me tho being skint and not replacing it. i have an fsa pig on it now.it was about18 quid off ebay and it rocks.why pay 5 times more?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

+1 for Hope..had two Cane Creeks before which were totally pants!

tinsy
    Free Member

odannyboy.. I bought CK for a bike cos it was nice bike jewellery. 🙂

odannyboy
    Free Member

"I bought CK for a bike cos it was nice bike jewellery"

i was trying to to be tactful and not say that.glad you did tho! 😆

barrykellett
    Free Member

FSA Orbit XL11

Cheap and lasts and the bearings will keep going smoothly when it looks knackered, as i have just discovered.
    Been in for 4 years in two frames and going into a 3rd tomorrow

tinsy
    Free Member

Not much other reason to buy one, though the jewellery like finish is pretty tough too, so they do look nice for ages, bike got nicked before I can say ooh yeah had a CK for 15 years still going strong though. Cant knock anyone for getting one.

JohnnyPanic

Had an FSA 'The Pig' DH Pro for about 6 months. Kept needing nipping up, which was a pain. The bottom bearings rusted really quickly as well. Not well sealed IMO.

Had a Hope for similar length of time – no problems.

messiah
    Free Member

Pigs are S*&^.

Go for an FSA cartridge (Avoid all loose ball types) – XLII is Okay, MX is better and the Orbit Extreme is a almost a CK or Hope in cheaper clothes.

Good prices on CRC… 40% off.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What Headset?’ is closed to new replies.