Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What head torch?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve used Petzls in the past, whats new and good.

Not for night riding, just for nipping out and about.

peachos
    Free Member

Petzl with the Core battery.

I use a DX 1000lm for work, its great. Lasts a full shift on lower setting. Everyone at work (non bikers) have now been online looking for them.

stuartie_c
    Free Member
    Drac

Alpkit.

neninja
    Free Member

The Alpkit is great for the price. Not the brightest but light and comfy.

footflaps

Alpkit is amazing value and a great little torch – does eat through AAAs, been using mind for building work at night.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just been reviewing a few for a Xmas present idea for someone to give me. Came down to Petzl versus Silva. The latter felt nice but gets quite mixed reviews. So narrowed choice down Petzl. There is a new one will bells and whistles (nao) and a three figure price tag, then the MYO XP which is also pretty advanced and then a lot of simpler, similar models. I decided that MYO was still probably overkill (I am using mine for AR and night running in woods), so went for the tikka plus 2 or XP version.

http://Www.likeys.com is a great source for advice IMO

mcmoonter
    Free Member

In the past I have just put my night riding helmet on and used it’s DX light, I feel like a bit of a div without my bike though.

DX looks good with rechargeable batteries, Alpkit looks good too, any more?

mark90
    Free Member

Alpkit gamma is good value. With a bit more to spend I really like my LED Lenser H7, easily adjustable beam width and brightness. Mine came on offer from go-outdoors in a pack with a P3, which is a handy little torch too. My petzl’s (zoom and tikka) rarely get used anymore.

Jamie
    Free Member

Alpkit Gammas are great. I just wish they would make one with more oomph. I would happily pay more for the comfort/build quality they offer.

josh1982
    Free Member

Petzl NAO is amazing…if a little expensive

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Cheap cree led ones from ebay cannot really be beaten. They are fractions of the cost of petzl etc and tend to be brighter and longer lasting, though not always incredibly sturdy. I use one that cost £6 for pottering about the shed, mechanicals in the dark etc, perfect. It lives behind the kitchen door permanantly.

bikerdan
    Free Member

Alpkit are good for the money. However the battery clips are a weak point. Mine snapped of within a year and will now be held together with cable ties. Found it to be a common fault after a quick google. Alpkit only offered me a repair for £4 rather than a free replacement. For the money of a new one I couldn’t be bothered to return it.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

This type of thing. I even use them occasionally for my rock/cliff night cod fishing on occasion when I can’t be bothered getting the big headlamp out! They do a great job up to a couple of hours run time or so.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7W-CREE-Q5-LED-Zoom-Flashlight-Head-Lamp-Light-Headlamp-500Lm-/251173436057?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item3a7b1a7a99

Jamie
    Free Member

Alpkit are good for the money. However the battery clips are a weak point. Mine snapped of within a year and will now be held together with cable ties. Found it to be a common fault after a quick google. Alpkit only offered me a repair for £4 rather than a free replacement. For the money of a new one I couldn’t be bothered to return it.

Yeah mine went as well. Was within a year, so warranty repair. Wasn’t aware it was a known issue.

trail_rat
    Free Member

peterfile gave me an alpkit gamma

best value head torch ive seen.

Had a few in the past and they were all pish for running , no oomph or too heavy.

like my petzl e-lite though for reading in the tent – thats all i take when touring.

used mine for running , extra visability on helmet when jaynes stolen the joystick and for working under the house/landrover/car

bikerdan
    Free Member

Alpkit even have a page on their site about how to fix it with cable ties if it breaks.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

What about a 2700 lumin Trout Spider Eye strapped to your noggin?. I think he does/can supply them as a headtorch, sunglasses 8) may be required in case you walk past anything reflective.

Jamie
    Free Member

Alpkit even have a page on their site about how to fix it with cable ties if it breaks.

That’s a bit shite. Might think twice when it comes to replace my current one.

Well, that and like I said I need more oomph. Thing is has to fit well, be adjustable and not be too bulky as used for running. Looks like a Petzl or Lenser.

/threadhijackover

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Well, that and like I said I need more oomph.

I’ve got a link to something that might be my next purchase, but it’s bookmarked on my comp at home so you’ll have to wait till I get home at 10.30pm. I currently use a fenix HP10, which is super bright at 150lumens, this is the more up-to-date HP11 at 277lumens http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix-hp11.html

MoreCashThanDash

Another couple of failed Alpkit Gamma battery clips here – they’requite happy to replace under warranty, but making the battery compartment more secure would mean a noticeable price increase apparently.

Shame, as they are great lights. Need to pop in with the latest casualty, actually

jam-bo

Got a petzl tikkina which is tiny, bright and great.

footflaps

The alpkit is so cheap compared with the equivalent Petzl, I’d just buy another if it broke. I have a cheap DX headtorch but its not waterproof and no where near as well made as the Alpkit one.

geoffj

I like the energizer ones for vfm. This is my latest
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000IX17SS

anonymouse
    Free Member

The 2012 model of the Hope Adventure 1 is currently half price on Wiggle.

piemonster

Anyone shouted the Lensers yet?

CHB

Can’t believe no one has mentioned FENIX yet.
    Fantastic quality and much better than any petzl etc I have ever seen.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

CHB – Member
    Can’t believe no one has mentioned FENIX yet.
    Fantastic quality and much better than any petzl etc I have ever seen.

No comment, as I may insult you unintentionally. 😉
    Anyway, further to my post above this is the one Jamie http://www.lightmalls.com/power-style-hx-t6-high-brightness-cree-xm-l-t6-led-headlamp-4-aa altho, even to my blind faith, it seems too amazing to be true @ 1200 lumens.

stayhigh

steveoath: that Bosavi looks quite cool, be interested to see what you think of it when it arives. Do you have an eta?

NZCol

I use that Fenix HP-10 as well for AR as it is waterproof and useful for paddling etc. Also runs on AA’s so god for multi day races where recharging not an option. I mix it up with proper nightlighnting LiIon system for MTB legs which is like daylight.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cheap cree led ones from ebay cannot really be beaten

I have one, it’s crappily made and the beam doesn’t spread very wide and whilst it’s meant to be 300 lumens it’s a fraction the brightness of my light and motion urban 300.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What head torch?’ is closed to new replies.