Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • What have you upgraded your disc CX wheels too?
  • Jase
    Free Member

Want to replace the stock disc wheels on a cx bike but struggling to find any.

The price (£270) and weight (1560g) of the Kinesis ones are perfect but the colour won’t go with the bike.

Any suggestions?

munkster
    Free Member

Self-built Velocity A23/Novatec here.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The kinesis are black.. just pull off all the stickers.
    How wrong can black wheels look? pictures of current bike..

Spin
    Free Member

Kinesis ones are perfect but the colour won’t go with the bike.

Are they not black? What colour do you want?

Edit – Seems I’m not the only one who thinks black goes with everything!

Jase
    Free Member

They have blue decals on the rim and hub

Jamie
    Free Member

They have blue decals on the rim and hub

Which are removable, no?

Not as if it’s overkill, tho.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The decals are actually stickers and will peel off
    *can confirm this having walked over to bike and tested with my nail edge.. yup they are stickers

Drac

There’s a whole new forum where you may get help too.

http://grit.cx/forum

Jase
    Free Member

If they peel off I’ll take em, cheers

somafunk

The stickers are very easy to remove, i have two sets of those wheels for my bike and unless you spend silly money i doubt you’ll find much to beat them.

cloudnine
    Free Member
    p7rich
    Free Member

Not tried the Crosslights so can’t comment there. I replaced my (very heavy) stock CX wheels with Stans Iron Cross on SRAM X9 hubs. Sorted my pinch flat problem with the much shallower and slightly wider rims. And i can confirm that, as per all Stans rims, the stickers all come off really easily.

link (out of stock at mo’ though)

Jase
    Free Member

Yeah saw them on Freeborn but sounds like no stock until later this year.

p7rich They have another set on that site in stock so will try and find out weight but prob end up with Kinesis ones.

Cheers for photo

Spin
    Free Member

Can’t fault the Kinesis wheels. Ridden black trails on them and still running true.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

How did you get them to weigh 1560grms? Don’t Kenesis claim 1600+ and real weight more like 1800 and something?

I’m hoping they’ll be further reduced (in price) when the inevitable 2015 V.4 11-spd compatible ones are launched…

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m hoping they’ll be further reduced (in price) when the inevitable 2015 V.4 11-spd compatible ones are launched…

V3 are 11sp compatible.

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/wheels/crosslight-cxdisc

somafunk

My Kinesis wheels are both within 20 grams of the quoted weights.

tang
    Free Member

Novatec/d lite/hplus son archetype. Nice set of wheels, my work bonus from bespoked show organiser.

jamj1974

What have you upgraded your disc CX wheels too?

Mountain bike wheels 😉

monksie
    Free Member

Hope Pro 2 Evo, Stans Crest Rims. Tubeless. Happy so far.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I was going off the blurb on Freeborn and previously reported weights by owners. Youre really not helping, I’m trying not to by them!

simondbarnes

A2Z hubs, C-Xray spokes, Crest rims.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m looking at some Bonty Affinty’s disc to replace my std CXR-1′ s or something Carbon..
    Don’t mind shuving £1000 at it, any other ideas ?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    Free Member

Can you use a Tiagra 10 speed cassette on the Kenesis wheels as the cassette has none of the gears on a carrier with out damaging the free hub to much.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Self-built Velocity A23/Novatec here.

just priced up building my own nice CX wheels from new parts:
    pair of Novatech hubs £90
    pair of H plus Archetype rims £100 (A23s similar but cant find a UK supplier on ebay)
    64 Sapim d/b spokes w/nipples £55

so £245, £5 more than buying the Kinesis CX from Freeborn. Cycleclinic want £332 for the above as built wheels. No wonder ‘factory’ wheels are so popular 🙄

munkster
    Free Member

I got a pair of white Novatec hubs for £75 off the bay (bloke in Bristol was good but check that he’s packaging them up well). Or the chaps at sdeals were getting black ones in stock I think, ask them, they’re very helpful.

A23s from hubjub.co.uk (£90 the pair) or Brick Lane Bikes…

I used ACI DB spokes (black) as well, from CycleBasket, about £30.

My build with rim tape came in around £200 IIRC.

HTH 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ve built/re-built loads of mtb wheels but usually starting out with owning at least the hubs, whenever I price up a full new build I get a shock.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Not sure I can recommend the kinesis (having bought a pair for myself and my gf). The ride is nice and not too heavy, but I don’t think they have enough spokes. I managed to rip a nipple in half just sprinting on smooth Tarmac. I may have got unlucky with a previous impact, but they’ve only been used for fast commuting as advertised. Also, the free hub is dragging even after a rebuild. I think it’s been machined incorrectly. Jury is out as I haven’t found anyone else with problems. 3000km in 4 months isn’t excessive. We’ll see how the warranty is.

njee20
    Free Member

When I was pricing up a CX bike recently I went Novatec hubs with 38mm LB carbon rims, which is still where my money would go!

nedrapier

Gone off the A2Z hubs, njee?

njee20
    Free Member

Not 11 speed compatible, they were originally what I specced! I’d have another set without hesitation.

STATO
    Free Member

Would they work out any lighter njee? Im just about to build a set of DT240 6bolt hubs on LB 29er rims and they will still be heavier than the Kinessis. I think the front kinesis hub must be around 100g and rims 400g for the sums to work out, even considering the Alu nips on the Kinesis set.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Stock wheels that came with my CAADX were punk. Upgraded to Open pros on XT with DT Swiss, 32H. Bombproof.

househusband
    Free Member

Stock wheels that came with my CAADX were punk. Upgraded to Open pros on XT with DT Swiss, 32H. Bombproof.

I’m finding mine okay… but they’re certainly not particularly light! Longer term I’ve been thinking about the same wheelset as you… just don’t know if I can be arsed building them myself!

tomkerton
    Free Member

I’m quite heavy HH (100kg) ride quite a lot and destroyed the rear wheel fairly quickly, pinged spokes and buckled he rear beyond repair. The new wheel set is a revelation, pick up nicely, stiff and reliable at speed and has survived what I dish out to them. Go for it!

DT78
    Free Member

I wouldn’t recommend a2z for properly winter / wet rides. Mine were on a race set of wheels so saw limited wet weather and still had to replace the rear bearings, for cx I’d want something a little better sealed.

simondbarnes

I wouldn’t recommend a2z for properly winter / wet rides. Mine were on a race set of wheels so saw limited wet weather and still had to replace the rear bearings, for cx I’d want something a little better sealed.

I’ve raced & commuted on mine and they’ve been fine.

oxym0r0n

ProII evo on velocity A23 disc – tubeless ready – lovely!

househusband
    Free Member

I’m quite heavy HH (100kg) ride quite a lot and destroyed the rear wheel fairly quickly, pinged spokes and buckled he rear beyond repair. The new wheel set is a revelation, pick up nicely, stiff and reliable at speed and has survived what I dish out to them. Go for it!

So we’re pretty much the same weight then!!! Who built yours?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What have you upgraded your disc CX wheels too?’ is closed to new replies.