• This topic has 92 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • What have you learnt today then?
  • DaveRambo

I guess learned is pushing it but I’ve had re-confirmed that a lot of people don’t listen to what you tell them or think about what they are doing, then lie about things and try and blame other people when brown stuff hits spinning things

The world is full of idiots (STW posters excluded of course)

Drac

That my promise not to go into work on my days off in my new role didn’t last. 🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

That some people in this world have “indoor” and “outdoor” boyfriends, in the same relationship.

I have rekindled a fondness for American Country Rock, Caanan Smith for instance.

EE gave me a free broadband router when all I went in for was a replacement DSL filter..

llama

The vet charges £35 for a (compulsary) 5 minute medication checkup that consists of asking me how I think the dog is doing and weighing her.

And some obscure work related minute detail of 4G signalling that I did nto want to know in the first place

perchypanther
    Free Member

That having 8 wheelie bins in the garden is just too many.

2tyred

That if one flops down too carelessly into the Habitat armchair one’s wife cherishes having bought it days before giving birth to one’s first child it’ll break.

Later on I expect to learn how straightforward it is to repair before one’s wife returns home, or alternatively, how displeased one’s wife is about the situation.

Cougar

That’s right, Cougar. Do you have an alternative strategy?

No pudding? I don’t know, I’m not a parent, but replacing something he hasn’t learnt to give sufficient shits to look after doesn’t feel right to me. Perhaps actual parents would have better ideas, dunno.

martinhutch

That SRAM is apparently Polish for ‘I’m off for a shit’. Unless the OP in the cat name thread was trolling me <narrows eyes>.

VanHalen

Having sorted out the pump adaptors, plumbed it in, powered it up – My old shower unit that we thought was fine doesnt dispense water through the hot water side. Arse.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’ve learnt that you learn something new every day

warns74
    Free Member

That there is such a thing as in indoor and outdoor partner.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

That a single train ticket from Milan to Paris is as little as £22. Unless you want to go via Zurich, then it looks like it’s £77 minimum.

Sitting up late drinking whisky and watching shinty doesn’t help the next day go smoothly. And even though I was there, this year’s Camanachd Cup Final really was a cracking game, which was why I did end up with one or two glasses more of the local product than was wise (Oban)

That appointments at the vasectomy clinic are available on a “first come, first served” basis

makes sense, doesn’t “first come” indicate greatest need?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Later today I’m going to learn how to set up a spiral race course for a CX event – waves @MattOAB

richmtb

The Alphabet Song and Twinkle Twinkle Littles Star are the same tune.

Also

Now you are all singing them in your head 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

Pudding is yogurt/fruit. Stopping that would also be counterproductive.
    Like many parents throwing money at household peace is money well spent and to hell with what that “teaches” them.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have learnt a surprising and wearisome amount about the definition of a “concert party” for purposes of the Hong Kong SFO’s regulation of the stock exchange here.

I have not quite learnt how to construct an “IF” function in Excel to my satisfaction.

sweaman2
    Free Member

KS Lev Integra seatposts are the devils own work to re-cable unless you watch the online video first and then it all seems much easier.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I have not quite learnt how to construct an “IF” function in Excel to my satisfaction.

=if(You learn to do it properly,satisfied, not satisfied) 😉

scruff9252

.=if(You learn to do it properly,satisfied, not satisfied)

Very good!

bikebouy
    Free Member

“cough” try nested !

I’ve just learned David Millar (ohh yes Him) is downstairs tonight book signing and showing off his new range of Castelli gear..

#signmybookwillyathenjoinusforsushinextdoor 8)

hb70

That there is a marketplace for selling bundles of old consumer debt for 1p in the pound as they get to 5 and a half years old. That companies then chase the debt hard, try to get judgements which (I am told) mean that the debt is not wiped clean by a 6 year statute of limitations. That if you can get a judgement this increases the value of the debt significantly, and that they then sell it on to other debt companies for a significant profit. And that the costs to individuals, the court service, or the NHS as GP’s pick up the mental health costs of this process are ignored because we fail to join together the dots and say “hang on, this is a stupid way to run a society.”

Have I missed the tone of this thread? I did learn it today.

perchypanther
    Free Member

“cough” try nested !

=if(You learn to do it properly,satisfied,if(you try your best and nearly get it right, frustrated,not satisfied)) 😀

coolhandluke
    Free Member

That Salvador Dali designed the Chupa Chups logo in 1969.

I learned that a few moments ago. No way I thought so I checked Wikipedia..

Its true I tell you…

gatsby
    Free Member

I learnt all about the Prince Rupert Drop by watching a video on IFLS website.

DaveRambo

I work with a bloke who has a teenage son with a similar approach to expensive phones as Edukator.

He has in the past ‘lent him the money’ for a replacement which of course is never repayed

He has today decided to simply not replace the recent drowned iPhone 6 with another nice phone but a ‘burner’.
    Son has to pay for a new one himself and is not a happy bunny.

From this I’ve learned that I’m bloody lucky with my daughter (or we are outstanding parents)

bikebouy
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    “cough” try nested !
    =if(You learn to do it properly,satisfied,if(you try your best and nearly get it right, frustrated,not satisfied))

Ohhh…me likeeee 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Leafs lost opener you drowning your sorrows?

I’m a Flames fan actually, theyr’e shite as well.

I was watching the Rangers at Chicago. I think. 😆

bullheart
    Free Member

That putting a glittery Elsa dress in with a normal wash is never really going to end well.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

The krispy kreme reeces peanut butter doughnut is a thing of beauty and I’m glad that there was only one in the box that was brought to the office earlier

I also expect to learn to effects of a sugar coma later on as well

badnewz
    Free Member

I learnt that someone I went to primary school with over 20 years ago now rents a one bedroom flat for £1800 a month in Camden, London, and works as a chef.

redthunder
    Free Member

You cant cancel a ebay listing with less than 12 hours to go 🙁

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for my answer…

toby1

That Shar Pei dogs were bread as Chinese guard dogs and can be a little aloof around humans, which I kind of liked about the cross breed rescue dog I went to see today. She’s way more into the ‘where are we going next’ thing that the ‘what are you doing now human’ thing.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for my answer…

Oh, yeah sorry, been distracted by work and a totally spangled lower back that’s still bloody painful.

I reckon I could give it a go, but depends of the quality of the traps really

P-Jay
    Free Member

hb70 – Member

That there is a marketplace for selling bundles of old consumer debt for 1p in the pound as they get to 5 and a half years old. That companies then chase the debt hard, try to get judgements which (I am told) mean that the debt is not wiped clean by a 6 year statute of limitations. That if you can get a judgement this increases the value of the debt significantly, and that they then sell it on to other debt companies for a significant profit. And that the costs to individuals, the court service, or the NHS as GP’s pick up the mental health costs of this process are ignored because we fail to join together the dots and say “hang on, this is a stupid way to run a society.”

Have I missed the tone of this thread? I did learn it today.

Sort of, once the judgement is made the value of the debt is fixed, the debt collection agency cannot levy any more charges onto it.

The exact value of the default debt varies, but it’s more than 1%

Since the loosening of legalisation around debt collection and the opening of the CCJ Bulk Centre in Northampton more and more debt collectors are flouting the rules and attempting to gain ‘judgment in default’ I.E. taking people to court without notice (they’re meant to give you 14 days notice of impending action) hoping they won’t reply to the court letter (it’s sent in a simple brown envelope, second class, not recorded or anything and it’s the only warning you’ll get) if they don’t take action within 14 days, that’s it, they’ve lost – they don’t need to prove a thing the consumer now has a CCJ on their file (basically no credit for 6 years) and will be restricted from certain jobs, and will often fail a background check for non-financial jobs and they’ll use bailiffs to enforce the judgement.

The have a habit of sending out thousands on the first week of the school holidays, Easter and Xmas as they know a good percentage of people will be away, they’re also not against waiting until people move and sending to the old address.

They won’t ‘back down’ automatically if you respond, you start a 2-3 month fight where the consumer (who is usually not particularly wealthy) is pitted against a team of solicitors WHO DO NOT PLAY FAIR. They will politely intimidate and scare people into “making a deal” it’s classic good cop / bad cop, only within a single letter it starts of “scary scary scary” and ends “come on, we’ll help you out”.

In around 50% of cases they don’t have any evidence to back up the claim, they’re often materially wrong, and legally unenforceable, I would say a further 30% sit in a grey area, they may have some evidence, but not all of it and the consumer has to decide on the balance of probability how a court case would pan out – whoever loses is looking at £500-£1000 of costs. about 20% are open and shut cases.

The Debt Collectors / Solicitors play bluff very well, they will tell you that you must act NOW! but they know that a deal can be made up to 1 minute before the time of the hearing. Ultimately they want to either win by default, or convince the consumer to pay as much as possible – either in a lump sum, or monthly, or both without going to court – this is also a win for them, by accepting a deal you accept the debt and it becomes an open and shut win should you fail to pay.

However consumers have 2 allies – firstly – Creditors are expected to accept ‘mediation’ this is a telephone meeting where a mediator speaks on behalf of both sides so the consumer cannot be intimidated, secondly Judges typically side with the consumer and the burden of proof sits with the creditor – consumers don’t have to prove anything.

However, if a creditor doesn’t think it’s open and shut, they won’t take it as far as court.

To add insult to injury, the original creditor (who sold it on) wrote the debt off completely and off-set it against profits for tax, they only have to pay tax on the value of the sale price which often comes with a ‘win fee’ so it might only sell for 5% as is, but if they get any money for it, they pay them more – so it’s win-win for them.

I worked in finance for 10 years, it’s a vile and dishonest business when things go wrong, the banks are supposed to work with people when they have a ‘change in circumstances’ I.E. redundancy, sickness etc and they’re no allowed to lend money to people who can’t afford it, but they do neither of these things and use intimidation and misdirection as it’s more profitable and knowingly make peoples lives very hard and unpleasant because it pays.

If you ever have problems like this – get yourself to LegalBeagles.info be wary of other sites, some of the debt collectors have taken to starting ‘consumer help’ sites which just advise people to call the debt collector and give what you can.

spooky_b329

That a 7.5t Eurocargo tipper with an auto box is actually quite good, very smooth and does sporty throttle blips as it changes down…and that the designers were extremely good at labelling the cruise control resume/off and +/- but neglected to provide an intuitive method to turn the damn thing on…

dbcooper
    Free Member

That my OH never learns (well I actually knew that, but it was reiterated today).

leegee

How to use the Sarrus rule and Cremers rule.
    Unfortunately I learnt of the existence of Gaussian elimination.

zippykona

The person who the Blues Brothers pay the money to at the end of the film is Steven Spielberg.

beardo74
    Free Member

This, yet again:

I guess learned is pushing it but I’ve had re-confirmed that a lot of people don’t listen to what you tell them or think about what they are doing, then lie about things and try and blame other people when brown stuff hits spinning things

The world is full of idiots (STW posters excluded of course)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘What have you learnt today then?’ is closed to new replies.