• This topic has 92 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • What have you learnt today then?
  • binners

I’ve learnt that Finnish is an absolutely bonkers language, and almost impossible to type-set as every other word appears to have at least 27 letters in it.

Oh… and that these are as still the manliest ‘put hairs on your chest’ crisps ever, and not that well advised as a mid morning snack-ette

What’ve you learnt today then?

GO!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

If my back goes ‘ping’ putting a sock on and then hurts like hell afterwards, don’t then proceed to ride the 40 miles home (in some discomfort/pain), ‘cos the following morning you will be utterly crippled and in agony 🙁

perchypanther
    Free Member

That I share my taste in delicious burny crisps with Binners?

…….and that the only words I know in Finnish are “hakkaa päälle”

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

that large beanbags cost large money

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve learnt that Finnish is an absolutely bonkers language

I already knew this. But it’s not because of the grammar or anything, it’s because the words don’t have the groupings of consonants or vowels in that we’re used to in most other European languages, so I found it almost impossible to even rememeber words and place names at first never mind learn the language.

Most of the words I know in Finnish are names for food ingredients, learned at the supermarket whilst shopping. Forgotten most of them now though. But peruna means potato, which makes me laugh going into M&S and seeing their Per Una range.

ajf
    Free Member

I learnt that the bad guy in usual suspects is not spelt Kaiser as in the German Kaiser, meaning general. But as in Keyser Soze.

I am sure others already knew this but news to me.

grizedaleforest

That I shouldn’t have ignored that noise.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My nephew has lived & worked in Helsinki for a few years now & he still can’t speak Suomi.
    I’ve learned that I shouldn’t have stayed up till 2 this morning watching ice hockey & drinking whisky. I want to go out on the bike but I keep going dizzy. 😕

perchypanther
    Free Member

That that bloke who said the world was going to end yesterday was full of shite 😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve learned that I shouldn’t have stayed up till 2 this morning watching ice hockey & drinking whisky. I want to go out on the bike but I keep going dizzy.

Yeah, watching Ice hockey does that to me too

franksinatra

I learnt that 8 year old daughters can get genuinely excited about a school trip to Tescos.

Pigface
    Free Member

Leafs lost opener 😆 you drowning your sorrows?

Finnish is indeed bonkers, Moi Moi 8)

matt_outandabout

That we have a serial tailgater and stroppy driver at the business park I work at.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ve learned that my boss saying “I’m just about to do that shortly” is entirely compatible with me still being sat here waiting four hours later.

Kryton57

The cost of completed Skateboards – researching for my sons 7th -is dramatically more than I ever remembered them being.

Edukator
    Free Member

That if you buy your offspring a phone it’s only a matter of time before it’s lost (Samsung), drowned (Samsung), smashed (Sony today) or stops working (Nokia and Samsung).

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

That lemonysam is employed to sit and wait

Any vacancies?

Cougar

That if you break / lose / otherwise have no respect whatsoever for your phone it doesn’t matter a jot because your dad will replace it every time.

(-:

lemonysam
    Free Member

Any vacancies?

How are you at wandering aimlessly to the loo every twenty minutes so you’ve got something to do?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

That having had my new shed delivered i now have a mountain of work to do…

toppers3933
    Free Member

ti_pin_man – Member
    that large beanbags cost large money

Not on eBay they don’t.

matt_outandabout

That having had my new shed delivered i now have a mountain of work to do…

*Starts revving his cordless drill, while making matching robotic movements*

Shout if you need a hand.

LoCo
    Free Member

My wife is actually quite good a working out structural engineering problems, (she’s not an engineer btw)

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

That I’ve finally had enough of getting messed about by work 👿

Anyone got any vacancies for an AV Tech in the North West ??

Edukator
    Free Member

That’s right, Cougar. Do you have an alternative strategy? It’s about the only lever I have. When his behaviour is excessively anti-social (it’s always anti-social to some degree), I remove the phone. Without that lever I’d have left home months ago. I’m not interested in alternative strategies that include Bombers but any other ideas are welcome.

akira

You can take a nineteen month old to gymnastics classes but you can’t make him do gymnastics, not if he wants to sit in a box instead.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My iPhone 6s is no quicker (perceived) than my 6 it’s just replaced. 😆

Thursday is Sushi day here.

I’ve got a bad case of the farts.

I’m being taunted by images of the very beautiful Lucy Worsley (from yesterdays thread) that I can’t seem to forget, nor want to.

I’ve got a faulty ESP sensor in my Merc and really thats not a surprise is it at all :roll:, quote to fix it is though (£85) 😀

growinglad
    Free Member

That not drinking and going to bed early makes no difference when you get called out at 01:30…..

….Also, when you receive a harmless looking email that doesn’t really give many details, it’s probably best to investigate the mentioned “maintenance work” as it may mean that you don’t get called out at 01:30…..

DaRC_L

I’m being taunted by images of the very beautiful Lucy Worsley (from yesterdays thread) that I can’t seem to forget, nor want to.

Just imagine her whispering ‘raunchy’ in your shellike 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

That after spending fortunes on lessons and equipment seemingly without return that my Son isn’t actually a poor climber at all, he’s actually very good for a 10 year old, what he’s very bad at is taking the time to write down his climbs and skills he’s learnt and getting them signed off by his instructor to progress to the next level.

I’ve also learned that to have the H&S cert signed off in work so we can apply to be ISO something or other compliant, I can’t use a laptop and separate screen in my office, I have to have 2 screens and a height adjustable mount – I’ll also need a new i7 desktop with a SSD, secondary HDD, 16GB of RAM and a GTX750Ti GPU – although I may be stretching the ‘have’ part.

MrGrim

That we have a serial tailgater and stroppy driver at the business park I work at.

I get this a lot. Funnily enough they back off further and further when they realise you are both going to the same place and even worse when i loop round the car park and park next to them. The paranoia then sets in 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

That appointments at the vasectomy clinic are available on a “first come, first served” basis 🙂

luke
    Free Member

That I can now get fibre broadband at home 🙂

Pieface

A 4mm heel to toe differential is a substanital difference

matt_outandabout

MrGrim – Member
    when i loop round the car park and park next to them.

Oooh, cracking idea.

GrahamS

That there are people out there who seem able to hold a normal conversation, but honestly still believe that the earth is flat and that space, gravity, satellites and stars are all lies.

(Courtesy of another thread)

fatbobb
    Free Member

That giving the warehouse man 3 weeks off in a row is a bad move as I’m s*** at goods in and my inventory is now ‘random’ to say the least.

Gunz
    Free Member

That Salvador Dali designed the Chupa Chups logo in 1969.

scaredypants

That appointments at the vasectomy clinic are available on a “first come, first served” basis

😀

My iPhone 6s is no quicker (perceived) than my 6 it’s just replaced.

I can imagine the messaging between your phone and applenet right now: “humankind is becoming self-aware” … “terminate immediately”

mogrim

That the German skills I picked up watching WWII movies are no use when shopping for RC cars on eBay.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘What have you learnt today then?’ is closed to new replies.