Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • What have you bought yourself for Xmas present(s)?
  • somafunk

I guess the n+1 rule applies to your reasoning for buying knives 😀 . I have a Kai 3000 140mm santuko knife and for my needs (as a vegi) it is all the knife I could possibly need or want for my food prep, and no……I do not eat bought prepared meals of any description. I also have two mates who are very successful/admired restaurant owners/chefs and between them they own 3 businesses, when I go round their houses or after hours in the restaurant I have never seen them choose from a quiver of blades as they tend to use one fav knife.

Going by what I’ve read about your previous knife collection I imagine your kitchen drawers hold a fearsome array of weaponry, if the zombie apocalypse ever rings true then I’ll be standing behind you 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

somafunk – Member

I guess the n+1 rule applies to your reasoning for buying knives . I have a Kai 3000 140mm santuko knife and for my needs (as a vegi) it is all the knife I could possibly need or want for my food prep, and no……I do not eat bought prepared meals of any description. I also have two mates who are very successful/admired restaurant owners/chefs and between them they own 3 businesses, when I go round their houses or after hours in the restaurant I have never seen them choose from a quiver of blades as they tend to use one fav knife.

Ya, n+1 rule is about right … 😳

Your Kai 3000 ST Santoku exact measurement is 145mm … nearly bought that and a petty too … 😮

If I were to use only one knife it would be my very industrial farming like Thai vegetable cleaver (no problem cutting through chicken bones too) made of car suspension spring.

If not that then it would be my Sugimoto or Tojiro veg cleaver.

Going by what I’ve read about your previous knife collection I imagine your kitchen drawers hold a fearsome array of weaponry, if the zombie apocalypse ever rings true then I’ll be standing behind you

eerrmm … ya you are right again.

Some of my earlier ones are meant to be used as practice for my Japanese sharpening stone skill.

😕

edit: Western knives manufacturers only started to adopt some of the Japanese style knife profiles in the last 3 years. Before that I could not even find proper veg cleaver so kept buying. Then the only proper ones were made by CCK Cleavers (made in HK) which are amongst the best low budget ones but the Chinese supermarkets in the Toon stopped selling them and started to sell those cheapo Chinese made ones …

edit edit: Tell you chef mates to get some Takeda like these here.

toby1

This might be the first Christmas I’ve not bought myself a present. I’m actually not sure what I’d want anyway. I’ve perhaps been a little too generous over the years!

I do have a Kai Santoku on the way for my birthday in a couple of weeks though!

mrhoppy

A Howies Lull jacket.

And I very carefully specified a ti wire foon for bike packing and the lost lanes Wales book to be supplied by rellies.

MoreCashThanDash

Rapha long sleeve jersey and deep winter socks in the sale.

racefaceec90

i hope to be able to buy one of these bad boys in early january cue really bad attempts at vangelis/commodore 64 theme tunes 😀

allthepies
    Free Member

A 3d printer.

But the retailer shipped the wrong model so it had to go back.

DezB
    Free Member

I bought myself some of these

luddite
    Free Member

Whyte 909 the nicer spec’ed 2015 version

Raymond

Some very nice Norrona ski pants: Rodal

rascal
    Free Member

Northwave Celsius winter boots.
    Bring on the cold, wet mud!

Deciding what new bars to buy too 🙂

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Murray – Member
    Giro Montaro MIPS as my old helmet’s more than 5 years old

where from? cant find stock anywhere…

mos

A Travers Russ-Ti 29+ frame with custom geometry.
    Build will be up on here in a week or two.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Nothing yet. My finger was hovering over the button for a Chromebook, annoyingly the one I was looking at has gone up £50 since Christmas! Realised at new year my walking boots are leaking so a new pair are probably more likely than a Chromebook now.

_tom_
    Free Member

Nothing yet. Buying a new house in a month or so if that counts…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bought a coffee machine (B2C) last night from John Lewis. I’ve been looking at these for over a month now and last night thought Arse! Just do it… So I did.

Looking forward to setting it all up and tasting my first Mellow Birds from it 😆

binners

I bought myself this….

Its amazing! By a local artist Clare Hallam, who makes amazing things out of paper. Its Peter Savilles cover design for Joy Divisions Unknown Pleasures. The whole design is cut out of a single sheet of paper with a scalpel, and displays a skill and patience I can barely even begin to contemplate 😯 Its now up in my dining room where I like to sit and do my illustration work. I find myself sitting and staring at it just contemplating the work that went into it

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Realised at new year my walking boots are leaking so a new pair are probably more likely than a Chromebook now.

And just snapped up a new pair of Salomons at £40 off at Cotswolds. Happy Christmas to me 🙂

ads678

I’ve bought me some bits for my lads bike!!

It’s a pressie to me because we’re gonna build it up together then he’ll be able to come and ride with me more and at bigger better places!! 🙂

Oh and a reverb for my FS!!

sands
    Free Member

binners – Member
    I bought myself this….

You might find this interesting:
    Peter Saville Explains Joy Division’s Unknown Pleasures Cover
    [video]http://vimeo.com/51365288[/video]

Tallpaul
    Free Member

And just snapped up a new pair of Salomons at £40 off at Cotswolds

These, perchance?

binners

Thanks for that Sands! Thats really interesting hearing his take on the continued interpretations. I’m sure he’d approve. I’ve just sent the link to Clare

Its always been one of my favourite pieces of design, and favourite albums.

rocketman
    Free Member

Some Troy Lee Sprints £40 from Evans. Quite an indulgence for me.

A few days later:
    * Mondeo decides it needs a service
    * Fiesta starts leaking coolant
    * rocket jr’s car insurance needs renewing
    * shower explodes
    * immersion heater burns out

MrSalmon
    Free Member

These, perchance?

Nope, these:
    Salomon Quest Origins

They’re to replace the Quest 4Ds I have now, which are so comfy and generally suit me so well I am prepared to overlook the fact that they haven’t stayed waterproof quite as long as I’d have liked.

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘What have you bought yourself for Xmas present(s)?’ is closed to new replies.