Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • What have you bought that exceeded your expectations?
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

Deore brakes, cheap and excellent, the latest M615s on my bike even have a nice progressive build up to their maximum power, no grabbiness.

Good call.

Mine are fantastic and feel better than the XT’s on my other bike. For £80 they are fantatsic things – they also seem to deal with crashes better (no raised lettering to get ripped off).

mcnultycop

Zee Rear Mech, just faultless on both my MTBs (with a 40t T-rex on the FS).

On-one Merino arm warmers. I think they cost a fiver, they are superb and do the job.

2″ Maxxis Beavers. Whilst I love the Hans Dampfs on my FS, I put Beavers on the HT for winter riding. They are lightweight but grippy and I just keep them on all year round.

661 Sub Gear – it’s saved me from a few light knocks, but isn’t stupidly bulky. I bought it just for uplifts, but wear it more often for bumpier pedally riding.

On One Scandal – frame was £125 I think and everything about it is just right.

ransos
    Free Member

Deore DX SPDs. I have a set from 1992 and they still work, despite minimal maintenance.

benji
    Free Member

Mammut air pillow, it’s very tiny, but gives such a good nights sleep when camping.

cloudnine
    Free Member

A kinesis tripster Ti.. Haven’t ridden my mtb for 3 months

wilburt
    Free Member

Imac
    Audi tdi
    Knock off all stars
    sonos
    beetroot in bags
    Gin and tonic in little tins
    High rollers
    Paramo Gilet
    GP4 seasons
    Mackeral Pate

adsh
    Free Member

Rocket Rons
    Whyte 29c
    Torq gels
    North Wave celcius GT boots
    Fenwicks foaming chain cleaner
    Caselli Nanoflex arm and knee warmers

souldrummer
    Free Member

Marzocchi 150mm Z1 FR Forks. I’ve had them for 9 years, had them serviced twice, I think, and they are still going strong. I’ve lost count of the number of bikes they have been on during those years.

Dialled Alpine Mk 1 frame. Bought it on a whim when they first came out and have loved it from the word go. It now has the aforementioned Z1s on it, and what a great combination they make.

cinnamon_girl

Gore Bike Wear cos it keeps me warm and dry especially in challenging weather conditions thus enabling me to ride all year round.

matt_outandabout

Shimano Shoes.
    Montane waterproofs and softshells – especially a Dyno and Krypton.
    Patagonia base layers and waterproof trousers.
    Orange ST4 (until I snapped it..)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Why a Premier subs to this ‘ere mag. 8)

mindmap3
    Free Member

Marzocchi 150mm Z1 FR Forks. I’ve had them for 9 years, had them serviced twice, I think, and they are still going strong. I’ve lost count of the number of bikes they have been on during those years.

Great forks – I’m running a pair of 10th Anniversary Z1’s on my Stanton and they keep on going. They don’t have fancy damping but they’re tough, plush and orange!

hot_fiat

High Rollers fit and forget tyres for the damp.
    Maxxis Ignitors – High Rollers for dry conditions that still work when it accidentally tips it down.
    Stans tubeless conversion kits.
    My fatty.
    The Marea I bought, unseen, off ebay one night while I was at the pub. It took 120000 miles of redline-all-the-time driving to finally kill it. Even then I could have saved it if I’d been in the car. How I miss that motor.

DezB
    Free Member

Deda white(!) carbon effect bar tape
    Gonna get me some of that to replace the mucky stuff on my roadie.

Talking of which..
    £130 off Merlin for one of these

Superb for the commuting roadie.

And, of course my Yeti 575. Who’d a thunk I’d still love it 8 years later…

edhornby

a BETD bearing replacement – turned an outrageously shitty raceface bottom bracket into a rock-solid bit of kit that is still going strong 3yrs later. The fact that I was able to send it in the post and they sent it back about 4days later was the icing on the cake. No way would I buy hope etc I just don’t need to

edlong
    Free Member

Hawes & Curtis shirts.

Incredible quality for the money, as long as you’re happy to buy 4/5 at a time, depending on the current offer (usually about £100).

I’ve probably had about 30 odd over the last 5 years and only one has ever shown any signs of wear.

Strange – I bought one and was very disappointed by the speed at which collars and cuffs started to show wear. Usual purchases range from Gieves & Hawkes, Pink, to Debenhams own brands so I don’t think my expectations are unrealistic from a shirt.

I’m also not keen on their BS pricing with, as you say, always some sort of multi-buy deal – the flip side of which being that if you just want to buy a shirt, you feel like you’re being robbed, or forced to buy a few.

badnewz
    Free Member

My stumpjumper is still going strong eight years in.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Branstons pickle (in Asia it’s £4 a jar – worth every penny).

XT disc brakes. W(hy)TF was I a HOPE fanyboy?

Mountain biking socks. I’d always worn normal sports socks. What a difference!

One of these *looks around for some pig to cook* much better than the little kettle jobbies

mikeep
    Free Member

Ibis Ripley – awesome bike.

Lightbicycle carbon hookless 29er rims.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

2015 Fox 36’s.

Stunning

And the Spesh Enduro 29er. Absolute Weapon

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Saracen Ariel.

Thought it’d be good, but it’s chuffin’ great.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

A polartec fleece buff for my bonce in the winter. Cheapest, bestest bit of out eva!!!

j450n
    Free Member

Superstar sintered Pads, surprisingly good!

tomhoward

2 modern mtbs.

Di2.

Planet X super roubaix tights

creagbhan

Bluetooth speaker from a Spanish market for 20 euros. Excellent sound and takes a micro sd card so you dont even need a phone. Well cbuffed. [/url]
    IMG_20140915_192311 by creagbhan, on Flickr[/img]

chrismac

Specialized tyres. The 2bliss butcher, purgatory and ground control are excellent and at £25 -£30 a bargain

beaker

Shimano SPD pedals
    SLX brakes
    Park Tools Allen Key Set. Still going strong after 17 years.

rewski
    Free Member

Funn Hyperion Ti Seatpost @ 35% off from CRC, the clamp is rock solid.

Northwind

Narrow/wide as well- it’s just all a bit uncanny.

My Carrera Kraken- It generally gets rebuilt about once a year with whatever’s lying around the garage, I always forget what a good frame it is- wee bit overstiff but lovely geometry.

My Magicshine MJ-872s… I think I knew they were a cut above the entry level tat but I think this is their third winter, one of them’s had a new battery but otherwise they’re still kicking ass. I really didn’t expect that from a £70 light.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Lidl tinned curry.. You would think that they are going to taste of shit but are suprisingly good

winrya
    Free Member

Stans flow wheels – nice and wide, pretty light, brilliant tubeless

Stans tubeless – with schwalbe tyres a complete game changer. Nice low pressures, more compliant bike,better grip and never have to worry about pinch flats that have plagued me for years

Reverb – changed biking for me

Magic Mary front tyre – wow, unlimited grip

Narrow wide chain ring and t rex. Single ring, all the gears I need, low maintainance and no noise

Solar Storm x2 light. Brightest light on the last shop ride. £15 and still had 50-80% battery (2 green leds) after 2 hours. Absolute bargain. Yes the battery may explode but for now it works a treat

Xt 785 brakes – awesome, cannot do better for the money

Saint 820 brakes – like xt but more power and nicer levers

breadcrumb

Not tried the lemon one but the chocolate one is nomnomnom!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Russian bride. Looks just like the pictures which was not my experience with other mail order brides (Thia).

Expected

What I got.

takisawa2

52 plate Mondeo TDCi.
    Bought 5yrs ago with 130k on the clock.
    176k now, it’s fast, comfy & does 45mpg+.
    Can park it anywhere & chuck dirty bikes in.
    Still a lovely car to drive.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

LSD.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Stooge frame.

brooess
    Free Member

Cotic Soul – just a great-handling bike
    Condor Tempo – beautiful bike to ride
    All Gore Bike Wear kit I’ve ever bought

miranmtb
    Free Member

Stooge frame.

+1

garage-dweller

My bright pink 456 awesome cheapness
    My mondeo estate 100,000+ miles and six years in my ownership and still doesn’t disappoint as a mile munching family and bike lugger
    Deore brakes

TiRed

Powercal HR/Power meter

I use it for commuting and off-road. Better than it has any right to be!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘What have you bought that exceeded your expectations?’ is closed to new replies.