Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What have I dug up [GQT not CSI]?
  • wooobob

Does anyone recognise these? I’ve dug up a load of the little bulb things on the right, often stuck together one on top of another. I’ve been gradually pulling up what seems like miles of the white roots, they are quite brittle, and seem to have infiltrated the whole garden. And I dug up the big tuber type thing as well.

I don’t know whether they are related in any way, but I think not.

It’s from our ‘veg patch’: a 4′ x 12′ plot of quite claggy soil, where until a couple of years ago we had a couple of big old roses which we pulled out as they were past their best.

bearnecessities

Slice them and fry them in butter.

If your arse explodes, they’re Jerusalem Artichokes.

(Little bulb thing on the right looks like a <Keith Lemon> potato! from that picture, but if it’s a bulb, could be anything!)

scaredypants

they look a bit iris’y to me but I’m sure a grown-up will be along shortly

(edit: too late, thebear has it covered)

slowoldman

Did it scream as you dug it up?

crankboy
    Free Member

The white roots are bind weed get them all out even little broken bits bin them don’t home compost . wait a week fork over and remove any you missed . The tubour could be anything either bin it to be safe out stick it in a flower pot and see what comes up.

crankboy
    Free Member

Sorry I missed the little one that is crocosmia it will come up as green reeds then a glorious orange or red flower that is spectacular they do multiply and spread very easily .

Scapegoat

What shape was the tuber before you cut it? Is it one or two that we can see? Joined or two together? f it was like a big parsnip it may be horseradish. Are the sprouting bits we can see nearer to us roots or sprouting tops? Difference between a taproot vegetable or a proper tuberous root is whether the tuber is part of the root system well below ground like a potato,or a taproot like a carrot or parsnip.
    Crankboy’s on the money with that crocosmia , it’s actually a corm rather than a bulb.

wooobob

Thanks!

I had wondered about bindweed, we had it practically pull the old shed down. Crocosmia looks familiar, might stick some in a tub. No screaming from the tuber, maybe we’ll take pity on him and pop him in a tub too! Cheers all.

wooobob

It’s one tuber, with two adjoining legs. I think the sprouting bits are roots. It was a good few inches underground. Could it be peony?

Scapegoat

Look a bit thick for peony, although it could be. Dahlia?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What have I dug up [GQT not CSI]?’ is closed to new replies.