Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What have I done to my knee? Bike crash content
  • cp

OK, I’m going to try and go to the docs this arvo, but in the mean time thought I’d open it up to the STW collective to get a diagnosis on my knee 🙂

It was always going to happen, but yesterday I finally came a cropper on the mtb on some frozen standing water covered with snow.

Basically landed on my right knee. Bit of a graze, but very painful. Loosened up after a few mins and rode the 30 mins back home.

Slowly stiffened up during the day yesterday. Painkillers were taken last night (and I don’t do painkillers lightly! I needed to get to sleep…).

It’s not really inflamed anymore (there was a bit of swelling at the time)… I can put weight on my leg when it’s straight, but I can’t bend it unless I support my lower leg with my hand and move it with my hand! It will articulate almost the full range, though it is painful to do so, before the pain gets very high nearing fully bent. steps are most definitely one at a time, and walking is a very slow hobble.

So, I can just about get about with it, but I can’t bend my knee under it’s own steam…

What have I done to it??!

wwaswas

when you say ‘can’t’ – does it hurt too much to do it or do the muscles contract but nothing happens.

Either way I’d visit the GP and keep taking anti-inflamatories.

Jerome
    Free Member

Something hurt – hopefullyt not too serious.
    The swelling/ stifness is just your body telling you to take it easy as I am trying to heal myself..
    Normal advice seems to be keep moving it, but will leave that to a doc.
    J.

cp

wwaswas – it will move a bit under it’s own steam, but if I’m sat down, I lift my lower leg up, I can move it about 10 degrees before the pain round the front of the knee is too great to go any further 🙁

bit of a bugger – things were starting to go well again after some foot issues earlier in the year!

cp

Hi Jerome – yeah, just hoping it will sort quickly and it’s not more serious… Mate was out of action for months after similar, though slightly more visible damage was done!

How’s the Hemlock going?

1nten5e
    Free Member

Pain at the front?

Oh dear….sounds very similar to mine when I cracked my kneecap

wwaswas

give it a few days for the swelling to go down and expect it to be a few weeks before ‘normal service’ resumes. If it’s still bad after Christmas I’d go to you GP and get a referral.

I ended up with an MRI about 6 months after similar fall/swellign issue – fortunately it turned out to be tendon damage that coudl be resolved by physio but it was nearly a year before I got full movement back.

The only upside was that after the first few weeks I coudl cycle ok.

brant
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve hurt your knee.

Hope the doctor can help you fix it.

spikester
    Free Member

Sorry to hear your injured.
    I tore a tendon in my foot the other month and was advised by a physio to massage arnica gel into in and at the same time spray magnesium gel onto it and also massage that in too. Was told to do it 4 times a day ( which can be a pain if you don’t get time). I did this and because My tear didn’t swell much I was also advised to put heat on the affected area via a wheat bag as often as I could.
    Sounds like your GP has obviously got to see it but I found the above helped no end. Still the slight twinge but healed really fast.
    Good luck

cp

spikester – I did my ankle ligaments about 4 years ago, and was out of action for ages because of that. Still smarts sometimes. Interesting tips. t’other half has a wheat bag, so I will experiment – it does feel better in a hot shower.

pain is just below knee cap, so hopefully not that…

injuries are rubbish!!

Jerome
    Free Member

Chris – Hemlock very nice – should get a hammering over New Year with a bit of luck..

Good luck on the knee .
    I did my ankle a few years back – the application of heat as long as you can stand followed by cold seems to be one recommendation to increase blood flow and speed up healing ?? Ultrasound may speed things up = but will cost

Hopefully nothing too busted..

bigjim

If you can’t bend it deliberately and it just buckles when you put weight on it, it sounds like quads inhibition which I had after a bad crash into a car. Its the weirdest thing, think its a nerve reflex stopping the quad from working, I thought I had snapped something in my knee but x rays were OK. All the muscle wasted away from my leg and it was weeks before I could bend it, takes a lot longer to build the muscles back too, so hopefully its not that bad.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What have I done to my knee? Bike crash content’ is closed to new replies.