• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by wl.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What hatchback for around £2k-3.5k please? Any tips?
  • wl
    Free Member

I need a new hatchback to replace my Focus, which seems to be dead now owing to an electrical fault uneconomical to fix. We only do around 4-5k miles per year between me and my other half, so I like to buy cheap rather than have a car I don’t use depreciating on my doorstep. Needs to fit a bike with the seats down, or a pram with the seats up. Four doors. Cheap to run/fix/insure, and as reliable as poss. Thinking Focus again, but I’d welcome any recommendations or avoids? Japanese? Ta v much.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Recently purchased a car with similar requirements to yours.

We had a Mazda 3, which mechanically was sound, but underbody corrosion and a potentially costly air bag warning light meant we decided to get rid.

We’ve just picked up a Focus, so probably the same as your current vehicle.

For your budget I reckon you could pick up a Honda Civic, with the clever seats for easy bike loading duties. Owing to reported problems with the 2.2ctdi you may be better off with the 1.8 VTEC, esp with your low mileage.

ElShalimo

Civic 1.8VTEC is a good option – insurance won’t be that cheap but very reliable and excellent fold flat rear seats
    Mazda3 or 6 but get the PETROL version
    Toyota Auris
    Kia Cee’d

TheFlyingOx

I’ve got a 2006 Civic 1.8 for sale. MOT til April next year, Just been serviced, new front tires, droplinks and springs. Nice and clean, no dents or anything other than a couple of chips on the door where son #1 has opened it onto the garden wall, leather interior. 93000 miles. Economical too, 41 mpg we’re averaging over 10000 miles. Only selling because I need something to pull a caravan/trailer.

Yours for £1700.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Civic/253209613229

Kamakazie

Yeah you’ll pick up a 2010 (or later) 1.8 Civic for that. Engines are great so high mileage shouldn’t be an issue if the rest of the car looks good.

2.2 diesel is also good (chain cam and no DPF on that age) but possibly not worth it for that annual mileage. Just look out for the dual mass / clutch as a lot of those were going around the 80k miles.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers folk, useful info.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What hatchback for around £2k-3.5k please? Any tips?’ is closed to new replies.