Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • What has happened to Kona?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Wonder how they manage it but Kona can’t?

Kona frames are a bit higher tech than some. The normal Heihei in 2007 was about £1800 I think and had XT and a Scandium frame… Correct me someone if I am wrong?

Also they are innovative. Full sus XC race 29er anyone?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Kona frames are a bit higher tech than some.

Linkage-actuated single pivot, cutting edge stuff that! Just like this cutting edge bike.

(In fact sorry, I’ve just noticed that the Claude Butler appears to be a proper Horst Link, which would arguable mean it has a more sophisticated suspension system than the average Kona).

beaker

I had a ’96 Kilauea which was a fantasic bike. I think Kona lost their way when all the steel frames went over to alloy…. I was never keen on the full sus bikes, they always struck me as a bit MBUK.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think Kona lost their way when all the steel frames went over to alloy

I’d say that about most bike brands.

But I think it says more about me than it does them. 😉

kimbers

i have a 98 lava dome with p2s thats awesome its my commuter but gets wheeled out for the odd xc ride or race now and again

an 02 bear dee-lux, which is tuff as u can possibly get its done 2 megavalanches, xc all over the uk, trail centres, DH races, trips to chmonix, everything

ive just built up an 03 stab which was cheap as chips and is sooo much fun (tho new main pivot bearings are **** to fit )

all 3 bikes have cracking geometry and handling
    the newer bikes dont look so bad to me, graphics are a bit leary but thats not so bad is it, they look like a lot of the new snowboard designs
    they have always been overpriced for spec but just buy the frame its more fun and who wants stock parts anyway??
    as for suspension, maybe kona have just stuck with a design that they know works and the rest of you are just sheep suckered into believing the hype about brand new revolutionary suspension designs that will change the way you ride until next year when its replaced with another cool acronym sounding system, besides new shock technology, especially personal tuning of shocks makes a much bigger difference to your ride

molgrips
    Free Member

Linkage-actuated single pivot, cutting edge stuff that!

I’m talking about nicely made very stiff Scandium full sus frames weighing what, 4.8lbs… With famous razor sharp geometry that rides like an XC race hardtail but super comfy. Seriously nice bike.

flange
    Free Member

I had a Jake and whilst the frame was úber strong, the rest of it was rubbish – most of the bolts rusted badly to the point where they’d have snapped had I not replaced them, the wheels were crap and it was pretty heavy. Still miss it though….

charliemort

I think it’s when the names started getting really silly – probably around the late 90’s early suspension bikes – remember the Sex One and Sex Two? As bad as the Cove B**w Job or whatever it’s called.

So around then a whole generation of now 40 somethings like me brought up on the aforementioned Explosifs, Kilaueas, and Cinder Cones (which I’ve still got) got turned off. Combined with the fact that Kona seemed to move from from classic “Hard Core” bikes for real riders to making things like the Stinky Primo Dee-luxe………… just the name is enough to put me off

Plus they did a Marketing Brochure waffling on about not having a marketing department…………

molgrips
    Free Member

They do make hardcore bikes for real riders – they make the lot. Everything you can think of this side of BMX and trials.

John25
    Free Member

Good point Kimbers, Kona have stuck to a proven design (with minor alterations) for the last ten years, while other manufacturers have been round the block changing designs

I loved my ’03 Stab, good luck with it

brakes
    Free Member

they’re becoming the Trek of a few years ago with a much-maligned brand imagine. this is mainly due to the dated designs and technologies used. the only people who like them are those that hark back to the halcyon days of the mid-90s which is part of the problem. they need to re-invent themselves a bit like Trek did recently with bikes like the Fuel, Remedy and Session
    I think they need to narrow their focus a bit on a particular area instead of just bringing out the same old designs for every conceiveable cycling pigeon hole.

thepodge
    Free Member

100% with the post above

molgrips
    Free Member

the only people who like them are those that hark back to the halcyon days of the mid-90s

Apart from me, that is.

You can go on about old technology all you want – try riding them, then tell me what you think.

brakes
    Free Member

I don’t want to ride a bike that everyone says is crap – that’s just human nature
    I tried Konas in the 90s and never got on with their geometry, I’ve also rode a Stinky which was admittedly too big, but was still horrible

maybe I’m just thinking from a UK perspective, maybe their image and credibility is a better in the US and they’re doing well

but then they’re bit thick over the pond

no offence like

Keva
    Free Member

I rode a Kona Dawg round skline a while back. It was so heavy I renamed it the Kona Anville.

Biffer
    Free Member

this is mainly due to the dated designs and technologies used

Since when was the magic link dated, or the use of scandium ?

Its true that they like to tweek rather than just re-design for the sake of the marketing department

Biffer
    Free Member

Keva – when are used to riding a hardtail then a bike like the Dawg will be heavy !!! Its designed to be a 30lb + trail bike

It’s bit like saying this old Mini is slow compared to my Ferrari !

kimbers

i think a big factor here is that kona seem to make bikes that young gnarly dirt-jump/ DH dudes

so im guessing that middle-aged stwers arent the target market!

brakes
    Free Member

the magic link is a step in the right direction, but they still maintain the four-bar gate design and poor graphics. scandium isn’t new – although one of the few bikes I like is The King

they’d be re-designing for the sake of keeping the company current and relevant

marketing may be bollocks, but people buy bollocks

charliemort

kimbers – think you said in 10 words what i was sort of saying in about 100

suspect most of the 90’s Kona riders are on something that feels more “grown up” – and think Kona have gone a bit too muck down the MBUK route………

molgrips
    Free Member

i think a big factor here is that kona seem to make bikes that young gnarly dirt-jump/ DH dudes

What, like sweet road bikes, the Paddy Wagon, the Sutra, the Heihei 29er, the Unit, the Jake etc etc? Have you actually looked at their range? New bikes recently include the Four for trail usage and the 5.0 long travel hardtail – both very much aimed at the kind of riding that gets done on here.

I don’t want to ride a bike that everyone says is crap

Well I’m telling you they’re great. So go try one 🙂 Skyline at Glyncorrwg will lend you one that you can thrash round Afan by way of a proper demo.

BearBack
    Free Member

The thing that annoys me most about Konas is the pivot bearings(particularly the nylon

The bushing system that they used on the ’95 Sex One.. and still on current bikes?

this is mainly due to the dated designs and technologies used

Pretty much.

I’ve had 3 stabs, all with worn bushings.. resulting in numerous rear mechs getting destroyed as the rear end folds sideways under cornering.

I love their older hardtails (love the RM blizzard too) but i’m completely unimpressed by their current XC and trail FS bikes.

Relatively cheap over here though – especially if you work for Whistler Blackcomb.

konakulakid
    Free Member

so thats y sum 1 chucked a apple @ me when i was on my 03 kona kula delux!!
    was a big fan of kona…R.I.P

bipedal
    Free Member

My kula primo is lovely to ride, but does get rather too much attention from the local spotty teens than is becoming for a bike belonging to a man of years

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘What has happened to Kona?’ is closed to new replies.