Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What hardtail frame for 100mm forks
  • fivespot
    Free Member

Been asked by young family friend to find a med. hardtail frame to suit 100mm forks (he is 5’10” and has a smaller donor bike). Budget is around £100. I’m thinking maybe an inbred, but what other options are out there for this budget ? with the emphasis on confidence inspiring handling as opposed to racy. I’ve been riding 140-160mm F/S skill compensators for too long, so not in the know about short travel hardtails.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I’d sell you an as new Genesis io id frame for that…

fivespot
    Free Member

shedbrewed…sounds good, BUT aren’t they for use with Alfine hubs ? I will be fitting conventional gears/rear mech etc. to the frame !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shedbrewed
    Free Member

Ah sorry, yeah you are right; SS or Alfine. Apologies.
    CArry on…

bol

You can get a brand new boardman frame on eBay for that money. They’re great and very well finished. People buy them as donor bikes and snobbery keeps the frame price right down.

Northwind

Aye, that’s a good shout on the Boardman.

You might get lucky and find a Scandal for that… Wouldn’t go for an Inbred personally, just a bit heavy and dead. But ymmv 😉

trailflow
    Free Member

Sunn Travis XC £100 on crc

angryratio
    Free Member

There are as many people will reject the suggestion of an inbred as will say you should get one.
    I however would say it is ideal. Handles okish, climbs okish, will go down as fast as the pilot can manage.

I’m on my second, the first i had the wrong size.
    Originally i ended up with a 16″.. at 6ft2 with a 33″ inside leg it was less than ideal.
    18″ suited me which is some brands idea of a medium

trailflow
    Free Member

inbred in classifieds

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

New Brand X frame? Get pretty good feedback:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12527

lucien

+ 1 for an Inbred, plus alterative dropouts available….

fenred
    Free Member

Another vote for the inbred.

northwind, agreed heavy frame but certainly not “dead” feeling. That said I’ve not ridden a scandal.

thomthumb
    Free Member

inbreds are fantastic handling frames imo.

Northwind

fenred – Member

northwind, agreed heavy frame but certainly not “dead” feeling. That said I’ve not ridden a scandal.

Well, that was my impression- same with the 456. Lots of metal in them tubes.

Now I’ve not ridden a new Scandal to be fair, mine was the old scandium one but I just thought “Why would anyone buy an Inbred except for cheapness?” If you’d pepsi-taste-challenged me I’d have sworn the bred was the nasty, dead, overstiff alu frame and the scandal was the “steel is real” option. Really quite a lovely frame.

fenred
    Free Member

Ahh, that explains it. I think the key ingredient you describe is ‘scandium’ northwind…Alas they are no more 😥

I think if I were lucky enough to stumble across one it’d be a keeper!

fivespot
    Free Member

Thanx so far guys, Inbred seems the top choice so far. Those CRC frames look great value, but out of stock for at least a month 🙂

Gribs

The Boardman frame mentioned above sounds like a good option if you want brand new but I picked up a Giant xtc off the classifieds for £50 that rides very nicely.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I got an 18inch Dirty Jo full Creme (bought off here actually) – which I believe is the same as the CRC brand-x triple butted XC frame. I run this with a 100mm reba and it’s been great. A good compromise of stiff but not too stiff. Decent handling (if a little sketchy / scary on the technical descents) and feels very lively. They’re a proper bargain IMO 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What hardtail frame for 100mm forks’ is closed to new replies.